Furthering the use of hearses

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
This plays off the thread on the decline of hearse usage. The home I used to work for (Farleys http://www.farleyfuneralhome.com) is the only one in the area with its own retort...so I think its why they have a higher percentage of cremations compared to other local homes. The rate I last heard was around 70%. I just became a funeral planner at my church and am an advocate of using the ark to carry urns into a church for a mass or service. The Catholic church allows cremations, but prefers them to happen after the mass...thus a rental casket and hearse are used. If you present the arc in your selection room as the most dignified way to bring the urn into a church, again it would call for a hearse. The funeral planner who trained me has never heard of or seen an arc. Rumors had it that priests didn't care for them. So I've asked a few and they said they liked them because it was the next best thing to a casket, respect wise.
The next big thing in the business in green funerals. One home in the St. Pete area does them. I'm anxious to hear what various religions will think.
So keep your hearse busy!!!
Good luck
Kevin

Is this what you refering to as an ark for cremations?
As far as the green funeral I like that idea for some reason, I am far from being a tree hugger), just wrap me in a sheet or my wicker removal basket and throw me in a hole. This would keep the hearse in use.

ark.jpg

We purchased an ark about 10 years ago. We were the only local funeral home to have one...until clergy started telling people how "Wonderful" it was. Most of the families like it because they can still have pall bearers, a hearse for a procession and the urn is not treated like a can of coffee being carried into church. I have never had a clergy member tell me they didn't like it. I have had several people come up to me after memorial services with the ark tell me that "this was the most respecful" memorial service they have seen.

We also used a small pall for catholic services that covered the ark and treated the urn as much like a casket as possible, until the catholic church changed their policy and no longer wants urns coverd with a pall.

After using an ark for 10 years, I would not want to be without it.

A very nice touch

I like the idea of an ark for transport of cremains.Very dignified! By the way,the last 4 funerals i've been to have been cremations.Seems to be the new normal in funerals.I know,bad news for the funeral trade in general.

I wish I had a photo

John- that one you provided is a basic model. Ours has a glass and wood box about 18 inches cubed. Also, I think the 4 handles protrude out about 2' in each direction...so overall, the arc is about 6' long. There are the equivalent of bier pins. One of our certified celebrants orders a box of rose pedals and has everyone file by the arc and drop a pedal in at the end of in-house ceremonies. People get the feeling of being more involved. Then they close the lid and the staff moves the arc to the hearse (inside). Pall bearers then are used at the church and/or cemetery. As far as a pall in a Catholic church, they use a small cloth (forgive me I can't recall the technical term) normally used to cover chalises.

chalise cover

Kevin,
The chalise cover in question is called a PALL.
This is getting to be a real interesting thread.
Mike

Since the ark is so much shorter then a regular casket, do all newer hearses have a place for the beir pins about half way up on the floor?

As for when my own time comes, I think I agree with John the most. I like the idea of a green funeral. Some simple covering that would decompose in the ground right along with me. Going green like this would still make use of a hearse for transportation.

A lot of our cremation families choose to have their urn interred in a cemetery. When this occurs, we always use a hearse to transport the urn to the cemetery unless the family absolutely refuses it. I explain to families that it is a matter of dignity and respect. We own two crematories (both locted in our funeral home building) so we do a lot of cremations.

Here's a dumb question,maybe,how do these arks work for servicemen and vets,who have the flag over them, as I know all too well the flag is not to touch the ground,just curious,and very respectful of our flags...

Flags

Wayne....I think I've seen the flag encased and placed in front of the glass window on the ark. All the services I did at the Sarasota National Cemetery were caskets come to think of it.

I believe the Ark is a wonderful idea. The increasing cremation rate has had adverse effects on no only the American funeral car industry but, naturally, the American casket manufacturers. The growing cremation rate adds to pressures on industry manufacturers and distributors by reducing the potential market. For decades, the cremation rate in the United States was less than 4%. However, in the early 1970's the cremation rate began to increase as a percentage of total deaths. By 1980, cremations represented 9.74% of deaths; in 1990 17.02% of deaths resulted in cremation; in 2000 nearly 25% of the deceased were cremated; and in 2006, the cremation rate was projected to be 33.53%. As a result, the market for traditional funerals with traditional caskets has actually declined and in 2007, Casket and Funeral Suppliers Association estimates that about 1,729,500 of 2,380,926 deaths resulted in the use of a traditional casket. The market declined at a time when, in spite of consolidation, production capacity exceeds demand for the product.
There's a fascinating study of this and quite a bit of history of the American Casket industry to be found at: http://www.cfsaa.org/about.php

Back