Kid versus Hearse

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
My good friend, Mike Robison, called me yesterday, almost unable to speak because of an incident that occurred earlier in the afternoon. He asked me to share the story here:

Children & Hearses

In an effort to educate the public about the craftsmanship and the professional cars we all care so much about, I exercise my "vintage hearses" on funeral services throughout the fair weather months of the year.

They always spark conversations and add a uniqueness to the funeral service itself.

Such was the case earlier this week with my 1974 Cadillac Eterna. Unfortunately, it was not "child proofed."

A young boy decided to eliminate the left rear tail light with his foot.

After a scolding from those who had charge of him, they all departed. Without so much as a wave or nod to either myself or any of my staff that were present at the graveside. Children are such treasures.

So now the search is on to replace the tail light lens. Hopefully, it won't be as difficult as the little boy was.

What the heck is society coming to? For the parents to take off like that is almost incomprehensible. Had I done something like this, I would have been marched right over to the car's owner to apologize and pay for the damages (which would have come out of my allowance and manual labor.) Then I would not have been able to sit down for a loooong time...

Attachments

• zzz_eterna_lr.jpg
    zzz_eterna_lr.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 465
  • zzz_eterna light.jpg
    zzz_eterna light.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 467
I agree about kids today. A few weeks ago I had a kid hang on my window (feet off ground. I yelled at him, because his parent didnt do anything. The parent screamed at me for yelling at his kid, which was still on my car. I told him if he did not remove his kid I would. he argued with me for about a half hour saying the kid was only 4 and didnt know better, and i better never talk to his kid like that again. I told the father now would be a good time to repromand him, but he refused to just saying he didnt know any better. He told me if I didnt want kids hanging on it I shouldnt have it in a public place. WTF?? He never did say anything to the kid. As Tony said, if I would have done that I would not have been able to sit down for a month. I almost wish the glass broke and cut him to shreds, but then I prolly would have gotten sued because my evil car had intentionally hurt his kid.
About every car show I have to deal with a kid trying to climb in the back of the car and the parents dont say a word. Once a kid got his finger pinched in a roller and the parent had the nuts to tell me I should have them so they couldnt move so that dosent happen. I told them if they trained their kids to not touch other peoples things it wouldnt have happened either. But it was still my fault that he did it. Its getting to the point Im about ready to stop showing my coaches because of so many dumbasses.

At least I havent had anything broken yet, like Mike. I guarentee if it happens there will be cops involved.

Kids have no respect now days. Like Tony and John said, if I would have done something like that I wouldn't be able to sit for a month. The sad thing is, its really not the kids fault, its the pairents. I know how much Mike enjoys using his vintage and unique coaches on Funerals, aspecially his 3-way coaches, and I know how upset he must be just as we all would be.

Josh

I think you need to add some money somewhere in the bill for services to cover the cost of damages incurred. It seems that in some cases the parents are just as bad as the kids today.

At the very least, if the kid belonged to the family of the dearly departed, I would send them a bill for the damage to the car.

Unfortunately, most of us in the industry would just have to grin and bear it, and not send a bill to anyone - the family of the deceased or anyone else...
Kids break our torchiere lamps, bend our rails, stomp our outdoor ashtrays and we just are left to grumble to our coworkers when we find the carnage and the little devils have gone home...
Earlier this year, a kid got a hold of an ink pen and proceeded to draw large swirly marks all over our (white plastic) handrails... It took fingernail polish remover and a lot of elbow grease to get it removed.
Our business is full of things like that, broke things, drawn pictures, etc... that we just have to take it in stride as part of dealing with the public. Our business requires too many times that we just keep our mouth shut...

Unfortunately, most of us in the industry would just have to grin and bear it, and not send a bill to anyone - the family of the deceased or anyone else...
Kids break our torchiere lamps, bend our rails, stomp our outdoor ashtrays and we just are left to grumble to our coworkers when we find the carnage and the little devils have gone home...
Earlier this year, a kid got a hold of an ink pen and proceeded to draw large swirly marks all over our (white plastic) handrails... It took fingernail polish remover and a lot of elbow grease to get it removed.
Our business is full of things like that, broke things, drawn pictures, etc... that we just have to take it in stride as part of dealing with the public. Our business requires too many times that we just keep our mouth shut...

If I caught them in the act I would not let them get away with it. They will continue to act this way if no one ever makes consequences for their actions. That is the reason so many act as they do, no one cares and let them do it. An accident is one thing but disrespect to someones property is completly different.

Mike you need the El camino taillight, I'm think same year or one older. get lost on them. the last one I picked up I had to dodge traffic on I-5 on Calf. for it.

I agree about kids today. A few weeks ago I had a kid hang on my window (feet off ground. I yelled at him, because his parent didnt do anything. The parent screamed at me for yelling at his kid, which was still on my car. I told him if he did not remove his kid I would. he argued with me for about a half hour saying the kid was only 4 and didnt know better, and i better never talk to his kid like that again. I told the father now would be a good time to repromand him, but he refused to just saying he didnt know any better. He told me if I didnt want kids hanging on it I shouldnt have it in a public place. WTF?? He never did say anything to the kid. As Tony said, if I would have done that I would not have been able to sit down for a month. I almost wish the glass broke and cut him to shreds, but then I prolly would have gotten sued because my evil car had intentionally hurt his kid.
About every car show I have to deal with a kid trying to climb in the back of the car and the parents dont say a word. Once a kid got his finger pinched in a roller and the parent had the nuts to tell me I should have them so they couldnt move so that dosent happen. I told them if they trained their kids to not touch other peoples things it wouldnt have happened either. But it was still my fault that he did it. Its getting to the point Im about ready to stop showing my coaches because of so many dumbasses.

At least I havent had anything broken yet, like Mike. I guarentee if it happens there will be cops involved.

John...

I wouldn't have argued with him for but a moment, when I would have turned my back, and called the police to report an out of control adult and child. Today, the "buzz word" is to say "I fear that this person is violent", and they will respond with lights and sirens blaring. By asking the person to remove his child, you were not protecting your property, you were protecting a child from his father that is guilty of child neglect. Despite what anyone says, a parent has a responsibility to keep the child from harms way. If the glass were to break, the child's hand could have been severely injured.

Most young kids consider fire apparatus at events as "jungle jim's" like down at the local "McDonald's" with little parental control. We were at a "Hot August Nights" event last night when a 6 year old girl got inside a friends CROWN Firecoach and released the maxi-brakes after flipping every toggle she could find first. Thankfully it had been well chock blocked or it could have been a disaster. Kids definately should be not allowed in the cabs of fire trucks! MM

John...

I wouldn't have argued with him for but a moment, when I would have turned my back, and called the police to report an out of control adult and child. Today, the "buzz word" is to say "I fear that this person is violent", and they will respond with lights and sirens blaring. By asking the person to remove his child, you were not protecting your property, you were protecting a child from his father that is guilty of child neglect. Despite what anyone says, a parent has a responsibility to keep the child from harms way. If the glass were to break, the child's hand could have been severely injured.

All the people in my group were watching carefully, one was at the ready to call the cops, and Christie was ready on the record button in case he tried to take a swing at me, which we were all waiting for by the way he was acting.

Tony,
If you are unable to locate one, I am aware of a '74 M-M in a yard in Missouri that should still have its lenses. Unfortunatley, the rear bumper itself is shot.

John; Remember what my buddy says......."just bacause I turn and walk away doesn't mean you've won the argument. It simply means your stupid ass isn't worth any more of my time"!!! Then call the police. End of problem!!!

Kids at car shows, visitations etc.

I hate to put magnet signs on my cars at car shows (look but don't touch) because it detracts from the appearance in photos.....I'm one of those who don't let people touch my fire trucks unless they ask and just want to pose for a photo. I like to cruise around at shows and see what is there, but then I am leaving my own car unattended. I'm lucky compared to most of you since there are few children in this part of Florida. I tried to help out with kids at visitations. The poor little guys really don't have a grip on what's going on and there were plenty of old wooden toys in the lobby (aka museum). For the most part one parent stayed with them. I think I got one little girl upset once when she introduced herself as Jenna and I told her that's the name of my dog.

So true.... get a family upset at you and they will never call you again. Tough to loose future business over a few hundred dollars...even though you would like to strangle the people!

So true.... get a family upset at you and they will never call you again. Tough to loose future business over a few hundred dollars...even though you would like to strangle the people!

Vandalism is vandalism and the little brats won't learn a thing if they aren't held responsible.

I blame the parent more than the child. When a child does something like that and there is no penalty from the parent (or others), then this behaviour is reinforced.

On some of our family outings the day/event ended early due to misbehaviour. We set limits and there were consequences. As a parent you need to be strong enough to follow through the consequences no matter what...otherwise the warnings have no effect.

I agree with Kevin...I hate putting the "Do not touch" signs out but after a few instances of out of control kids in the back of the Lifeliner I had to do something. As we all know, the interior of a vintage vehicle is not a bouncy castle So now I have nice little signs and plastic chain link to act as a barrier.

Now having said all of this, I am more than happy to let youngsters sit in the front or back and have their pictures taken after the parents politely ask if it's OK to do so and the parents/children are behaving respectfully.

Our children are now young adults (19 & 23). They are respectful, kind and thoughtful...they didn't learn that from being allowed to run wild.

:myopinion:

Back