1949 Chevy Hearse Drivetrain information / photos wanted

Hi y'all,
I'm new to the forum, and y'alls help would be much appreciated. Just picked up a 1949 Chevy National hearse. It doesn't have the transmission or drivetrain, and wondered if anyone on here had photos of the drivetrain and transmission to serve as a guide. Also, might be looking if anyone is selling a drivetrain/transmission.
Feel free to send me a PM if you can put me in touch with anyone who might be able to help.
Thanks so much!

Jeanne, welcome to the group! There are several experts here that know a lot about your type of vehicle. I'm sorry that I can't help you, but just give it some time, and they will come out of the woodwork. We have a great bunch of folks here!!

Hi Jeanne, welcome to the PCS! Your National came with an inline 6 cylinder engine, a 216 cubic inch with probably a 3 speed manual transmission.

1949-chevy-deluxe-eng3.jpg

If engine originality isn't an issue, I have a 1954 Chevy 235 inline six I could let go. It needs to be rebuilt. I think if you want an inline six, the 235 would be a better bet than a 216 as the 235 has a pressurized oil system instead of the 216's "splasher" system. Plus more power.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the PCS, Jeanne! You say your car is a National-Chevrolet. These were constructed by modifying a Chevrolet sedan delivery. All of the mechanicals - engine, transmission, etc., would have been stock Chevrolet. Naturally, the frame and drive line were extended. Finding a standard and proper Chevy engine and transmission for this car should be relatively easy given the strong support all past model Chevrolets enjoy.

Hi y'all, thanks for the fast help, it's much appreciated.
I probably wasn't all that clear in my first post - we're good on the engine and know about the sedan delivery modification.
What we are missing is how National would have extended the drive train. So any photos of the drive train itself would be extremely useful.
Thanks again!

Hi Jeanne, Welcome to the forums. Lot of good folks here. I have a '51 Chevrolet/National Imperial Series Ambulance. Have not been able to work on it in a while. Had to install a new second crossmember. When we did we had to drop the driveshaft out. I took a few pics of it uninstalled. Not sure how they made the extension part and I don't have a pic (I don't think) of the whole thing installed. I can try and get one this weekend but no promises. However, below are the pics that I do have. Maybe one of the guys or gals here (speaking to you Ed) can give a heads up on more specifics. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• P1020108.jpg
    P1020108.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 571
  • P1020109.jpg
    P1020109.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 578
  • P1020110.jpg
    P1020110.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 613
  • P1020111.jpg
    P1020111.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 633
  • P1020113.jpg
    P1020113.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 641
Joe,
Thank you!!! That is incredibly helpful.
The extension piece and coupler in the first photo is what I need, including the shaft and I would love to see how it hooks into the frame.
If anyone out there has one for sale (extension piece, shaft, etc.), please let me know.
I don't know if all the Nationals are extended the same amount, but the hearse we have has a 30" frame extension.

You can see they built it out of a both the transmission end and the torque tube end. Then just a short shaft with the carrier bearing. messing with the inclosed drive line is a little more work, but if you can't locate one a good machine shop should be able to make one up out of an old torque tube and transmission end. You can this set of pictures and your car to make the guess. by the time my 53 showed up it has a open drive line. so not a lot of help from it. but he is a cropped up picture of Joe's.

Attachments

• 1951 front shaft for the nationa.jpg
    1951 front shaft for the nationa.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 603
I can probably help you out with the pictures, I have a 48 and pretty sure they are probably about identical or not much changed. I will send you a e-mail and see how else I might be of service.
Soo tell us all more about this new find:)

Hi everyone, sorry I never posted an update. We are STILL searching for a coupler like the one Joe posted in his photo.
Ideally, we'd like to restore the 49 back to a complete original state, but it was messed with severely in the 1980s - one door was removed so it's now a 3 door, someone added a 1970s cadillac front end, and the interior is gone. My boyfriend has just finished restoring the frame, but we are at a standstill until the coupler can be found.
If anyone knows of someone who might be willing to get rid of an old chassis, he'd be interested.
Thanks y'all!

Back