Can you identify this?

Hey guys!

I am an antique fanatic. Out house is full of old things we still use. We buy antiques that we can use not just display. My girls step dad gave me his today. I was very excited. He said he found this under an old house he was restoring. I usually don't collect bottles because there's not much we can use them for, but this one is fantastic.

Any one have any ideas as to its previous contents? Any one seen or have something like it? Any info is appreciated!

2012-09-01_11-23-52_203.jpg

2012-09-01_11-23-15_905.jpg

Thanks guys!

That is a old used glass Embalming fluid bottle !

Very cool find !!!

I have lots of different ones but not one like that.

Congrats !
Darren

Thanks Darren! I was pretty excited to aquire it! Are you good at dating bottles? It has a seam that runs up all the way to the top lip and over the edge. And an oblong shape sectioni n the bottom. I can provide pictures if anyone would care to help me date it.

Thanks!
Paul.

I was wondering also though, if it was embalming fluid, would it have some kind of poison warning on it? Thats whT threw me off as to its contents.

It makes me wonder if the old house that's being restored was once a funeral home, perhaps in the late 1800s into the early 1900s.

Abe

It makes me wonder if the old house that's being restored was once a funeral home, perhaps in the late 1800s into the early 1900s.

Abe

Or, there could have been a death at the house and the undertaker embalmed the body in the house before funeral homes were in the norm.

I have one like that here somewhere. Seems to me it was from the 20's but my memory slips sometimes. It probably had a paper label on it that covered three sides that had the specific fluid, warnings, etc..... The older ones seem to be larger. I guess this was after it was concentrated and used with more water.

Regards,
James

late 20's early 30's. Really cool bottle. I have a Glass dodge bottle that was later used to hold Holy Water. It will be used as a radiator over flow bottle for my '31 Chevy.

Back