whitewall tires

Philip Scanio

PCS Member / Super Site Supporter
Help!! I am trying to find whitewall radial tires for my cars. I want American made but am having trouble. The tires on the cars have few miles but are 10 years old. Has anyone tried the Asian made tires? Coker has Maxxis brand but I can't find anyone who has purchased that brand.

check the tires over are you having any dry rot cracking round the treads or side wall. how are you driving the car? in town running at low speed or down that highway at road speed? it it's just an occasional trip out on the loop but mostly speed under 40 and I did not see any problems with the tires. me, I would keep my old tires they are probably better then anything you can get today. ion that size in a whitewall. I went to a l-78 bias ply from Coker/universal on my Seville. but the side walls are not great on them and the load rating would not be good for a full size car. at 1700 it right on the margin unloaded. a lot of the guys picked up the Hancock extra load 235s they look good but get there load rating by upping the presser to 50 psi.
it works, no reported issues on them. for the older cars there is now a 890 put out by Corker but the 3 inch white wall is the smallest they have right now . if you want to run black walls there is a never ending choice of heavy tires you just need to put the raised white letters inside. or a set of coker classics but there load rating is light for the cars but right now from what I hear there is not a bias ply tire made in the USA. and vary few radials none in our size with the white wall. we all need to put some presser on coker to make a narrower stripe on there 890s even a 2 inch would be passable. the only other option is a set of 700x15 radial tire heavy enough for the car and have diamond back put the correct white wall on them. it's a problem

Performance plus has a decent selection of white wall tires. you can call them at 888-926-2689 or www.performanceplustire.com There is a tire called a sure trac that has a 1.5 inch white wall listed for 90 bucks including shipping. If your looking for a American built tire you will be limited as very few white walls are made in the USA. Even Vogue Tyres one of the oldest tire companies are now made in China. I think Mastercraft/Cooper still offers a white wall but only on a entry level tire. Hankooks are your best tire for the money offering five year or 70,000 miles but their white wall is smaller than a inch and they are made overseas as well. American Classics are made in America and offer a 1.6 inch white wall or as Ed said you would have to go with a Coker.

Tires

Help!! I am trying to find whitewall radial tires for my cars. I want American made but am having trouble. The tires on the cars have few miles but are 10 years old. Has anyone tried the Asian made tires? Coker has Maxxis brand but I can't find anyone who has purchased that brand.

I just purchased :applause:a new set of radial (white wall) from diamond back tires .com in North Carolina for my 1955 Cadillac. $78.00 shipping to me great look and a wonderful ride look at their web site.

WW Tires

Ed,
Diamond Back Tires, takes black wall radials and vulcanize the white wall on the backside, guaranteed not to yellow and the Load Range for my 265X70R 15 is 2469 super service and shipping. Coker cant match the product or price.
Took the 55 to a cruise-in last weekend and everyone commented how good they looked on the car. Check out www.dbtires.com

the 265x15 are the only 15 inch tire out there now with the right load range. the only trouble with them can be the width on some of the 70s type stuff.

just checked on line performance plus. they sell the coker stuff. there American classic 235 is load rated at 2000 and change. but it is a 28.6 in round tire. were the 265 Bill has are the correct 31s

Thanks for the leads, I will call Monday. Ed, I have always been told that radials will come apart after 8 to 10 years. The Firestones on the Travelall are 7 Years old with less than 2000 miles. The Michellins on the 63 Cad are 10 years old with 3000 miles. The Michellins on the 79 M&M are 18 years old with less than 2000 miles. None of the tires are weathered because the cars are all garaged. Do you think they are safe?

I always run Hankook tires on all my stuff with white walls. Never had an issue with them, and they last a very long time. Any tire shop should have no trouble getting white wall tires, just because they do not stock them does not mean they cant order them.
For wide whites, I also use DIamondback that was mentioned already, but even those are Hankook tires. Its nice, they will put on any size white wall you need for your year of coach. Personally, I would not put Cokers on my car even if I was paid to run them, but that's my opinion only.

I've had good luck with Hankook's as well. A friend of mine has a set just a few years old and they have dry rot already but I have never had that happen with mine. I've also had good luck with Coker tires and I have bought over ten sets over the years (to many cars!). Never had a problem. The Coker radials only have a PSI of 35lbs as the Hankooks are 50 in the extraload 235/75/15 series. I'm just not crazy about the thin white wall on the Hankooks. Your getting a high mi tire with a white wall for a budget minded person. But again if you must have a American made tire in a wider white wall you would have to go with a Coker or DB like others have suggested.
As for age I guess the tires are ok until they are not! I have a set of Uniroyal wider white wall tires on my 66 S&S that don't show any dry rot and they are 25 years old. The last longer trip I took in that car was to the meet in Michigan in 2002. They were only 12 years old at that time. They only have about 2000 miles on them but I wouldn't take that trip today without replacing them first. In 2002 I sold a 1948 Packard hearse to another PCS member. The tires were put on the car in 1964. He drove it home down the expressway without any trouble but I think I would of brought a trailer.
I have original 890's on a few of my cars but I don't take them out much. I just keep them on because I like the look.

Back