been one of those days

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
with out going into a lot is just been one of those nothing right kind of days. i did get the key for the stoner and got everything wired back up only to recreate the short that caused them to do what they did, the heater switch shorted out only to get the main wire hot and burn the wires for the wiper motor together with a ground wire. so when I put everything back together all I did was recreate the short and finish off the wire harness. it was tucked way up by the wiper motor so you had to take off the dash panel to find it. there repair called for disconnecting the ground, taping it and one light bulb socket. then leave them dangling. so tomorrow we go on the hunt for a new old used one. these years with AC are kind of hard to come by but we should be able to keep the ac stuff and splice in a new set of wires for the Chevy part. now if I can only figure out there hack splice for the heater motor I'll have it. some how the lost the key thing I was told was only part of the story. but the good news is I did find out that the 68 only has a burned out carb gasket not the broken intake that was feared. the bad new is that the man doing the work only discovered this when he pulled the intake off the car. as he tilted it the canter fell out. it had been put in backwards letting the exhaust cut between the center barrels. just to look at it with the carb off it looked good. he then ordered the new carb gasket that is 68 and 9 only and put the old intake back on. the new one I had cleaned up and repainted is laying on the floor. so this after noon I slipped down and repainted the original intake. hope it works good this time. boots off and feet up with a stiff drink in hand we'll go again tomorrow. ain't pro cars fun.

Attachments

• IMG_5425.jpg
    IMG_5425.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_5429 about 5 int befor the smoke.jpg
    IMG_5429 about 5 int befor the smoke.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5432.jpg
    IMG_5432.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_5423 fried the carb gasget.jpg
    IMG_5423 fried the carb gasget.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_5430 ready to go back on.jpg
    IMG_5430 ready to go back on.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 171
Ed i'll look in the shop tomorrow, stripped out a '67 Chevy pickup years ago & junked the cab. I removed the entire wiring harness & saved it. If I still have it... you can have it. It may be a big help to you in case you want to try to repair what you have...

I think I have a dash bezel you can have too, if you want it. It's not brand new, but it doesn't have any holes in it. I might have some other parts left over too. I'll have to go look.

thanks guys. I'm heading out this morning to check out a 69 panel that they have been using for target practice. the man thinks the dash is still intact. if I can get the necessary wiring from it that will save the mailing. funny thing is I but everything together and worked the switch before I stuck it back in the dash. must have messed around 5 min or so checking things out. then put the switch back in started it once more and had the key off. was gathering things in front of the car when I noticed the smoke. looked inside new I was in trouble and went to unhook the battery. by the time I got the hood up the starter wire had shorted and the engine was running. got a cable off and went back in to put out the fire and it had fried the wires up from the switch about a foot. melted the connector and the back of the switch. what it was is the ground wire had the first go round melted into the wiper set. when I clipped it back on the dash it must not have made connection right away. I'm just glad that it was still in the drive way. I was fixing to head down town with it.

Attachments

• IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 124
we did better today. scored enough stuff from a friend to get things back together. sorry I did not take my camera out that 69 panel they were using for a back stop had more holes in it then one could imagine. rest of the pictures here http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747#date/2010-10-06/11:06:33 [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHzX8gt7PxI[/ame]

Attachments

• IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5439.jpg
    IMG_5439.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 88
Good thing that they weren't having target practice while you were taking parts off of it... :4_11_9:

when he took me out there he said I'll stop in and tell the wife your here. I said " please do it looks like she has the gun sited in" he told me every hole was her doing

Back