Suction Unit

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
The 67's original suction unit is missing the tubing that goes into the engine compartment that provides suction.

There is a T junction off the Master Cylinder vacuum with a smaller hose that comes out of it and goes through the firewall. This smaller hose is about 3 feet long and ends up under the dash with a bolt at the end.

Is it possible that this is where the suction unit would have been connected?

picture.php

yes. it would have gone to a container ( vacuum chamber) and from there to a suction port or at least it was that way on my 72 cb. but they did not splice the brake vacuum line . they just took it right off the manifold. I can see no other reason for that splice.

suction

When I first saw the suction device leadin I thought this was another shot at Cheif Ron.
I can understand getting the suction from the engines vacuum. What I don't understand is what kept whatever you were suctioning from going through the engine and out the exhaust?
Now one of you experts can share some history and knowledge here.
Mike

When I first saw the suction device leadin I thought this was another shot at Cheif Ron.
I can understand getting the suction from the engines vacuum. What I don't understand is what kept whatever you were suctioning from going through the engine and out the exhaust?
Now one of you experts can share some history and knowledge here.
Mike

No Mess No fuss.leave it on the roadway LOL

For those of us that have had to clean these out and reseal them oh what memories LOL

Russ

works no different then any other suction unit. your just using engine vacuum to supply the suction instead of a electric motor driven device. all the goods are keep in a storage container. such as a reco suction device. the one way valve stops the mixing of contaminants. I don't believe it but I never took a pictures of the set up on the 72. I'm uploading a little video that will show the way the unit was mounted in it. it has a port on the left fender well that the vacuum line came up from the canister to. the canister was located under the left floor and the rubbers hose ran from it to the engine. the only trouble with it was a leak in the system would make the car run rough and you could in theory loose vacuum when you needed it. thought with the big V8 there wasn't a lot to fear from that.

Lots of things were left along the roadway. It was pretty simple to slip open the side door and dump a suction container or other container of undesirable stuff while at a stop light. OK to laugh about it today, but at the time, it was reality.

There was some kind of check valve in the Rico unit that was supposed to keep junk out of the line that lead to the chassis vacuum. I never had one fail, so never had to clean out a line all the way to the engine. Not sure how I would have even done that.

I never saw one connect to the brake vacuum, the ones that I was familiar with always came from the engine manifold. Rubber lines all the way to the back would be easist to install and maintain, I don't remember any metal lines. If you lost suction, it was usually in the engine compartment. The heat in the engine compartment aged and dried out the rubber quicker and it hardened and could leak/fail.

SA

here is the video of the 72. now the chamber sat just under the unit it was a steel tube about 4 in around and a foot long. in and out lines. the out went up to a port in the fender well like a o2 port. then you could just plug the unit in when you needed it leave it closed when not in use. the rubber line about 5/16 went up to the manifold. now then I took this one just before I sold the car mainly for Steve to see what he was getting. of course I forget to punch off the button on the end.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjilp0irifQ[/ame]

Lots of things were left along the roadway. It was pretty simple to slip open the side door and dump a suction container or other container of undesirable stuff while at a stop light. OK to laugh about it today, but at the time, it was reality.

There was some kind of check valve in the Rico unit that was supposed to keep junk out of the line that lead to the chassis vacuum. I never had one fail, so never had to clean out a line all the way to the engine. Not sure how I would have even done that.

I never saw one connect to the brake vacuum, the ones that I was familiar with always came from the engine manifold. Rubber lines all the way to the back would be easist to install and maintain, I don't remember any metal lines. If you lost suction, it was usually in the engine compartment. The heat in the engine compartment aged and dried out the rubber quicker and it hardened and could leak/fail.

SA
Thats why I Mentioned it. In those days there was always something We did that would be a Major Hazmat Incident In Todays World

Russ

I finally went to the automotive store and purchased 10 feet of vacuum tubing to connect the suction unit to the engine vacuum, and of course, I am a couple of feet short. If you are replacing the tubing, buy 15 feet, this way you will have enough to connect everything without having to connect 2 pieces together.

Anyhow, I got another problem still related to the vacuum unit.

Here is the suction unit out of the 67 Superior. The nipple to the left of the gauge connects to the suction tubing that would go to the patient, and the black tubing on the right of the gauge connects to the tubing that goes to the engine vacuum.

picture.php

This is the valve assembly on the engine vacuum side. The part in the middle screws in the vertical tube and the thumb screw to the right screws in to the middle part.

picture.php

Now, it looks like if there is something missing. When I have everything together and manually test the unit, I can not close the valve assembly so that the system is closed. It remains open.

not knowing how your testing it I'll toss in my thoughts. the vacuum line should be hooked to a canister not right to the engine. the vacuum will vary to much right on the engine. vacuum on the in port. the thumb over the suction port you would adjust the top wheel to make the gage read what you wanted the vacuum to be. take you thumb off the suction side put on you Yankor on and suck away. still feel your missing a control valve. you should open a valve to get the vacuum on the line. it should not be hot all the time. it will cause your engine to run lean drawing air.

For those of you that have these Rico suction units in their cars, can you see if there is anything missing from the pictures I have a couple posts ago?

Do these units need a bag in the canister to work? I am at a lost to understand why the unit is not working.:bonk:

the top does need to be sealed. it should have the screw clamp to hold it down. it dosen't need the bag that is only to catch the goodies

For those of you that have these Rico suction units in their cars, can you see if there is anything missing from the pictures I have a couple posts ago?

Do these units need a bag in the canister to work? I am at a lost to understand why the unit is not working.:bonk:

Take at look at the Rico website. They should also be able to help you with instructions on hooking it up.

http://www.ricosuction.com/

Take at look at the Rico website. They should also be able to help you with instructions on hooking it up.

http://www.ricosuction.com/

I talked with them yesterday and they sent me the manual for their modern version of the unit. I may be missing an O ring in the control valve assembly. I will get some tonight and try it again.

On another note, I got some more vacuum tubing yesterday, removed the one I installed the day before, installed the new one, et voila, one length of tubing from the engine to the suction unit. Less chance for leaks this way.

Back