A professional car calendar survey...

How old should the calendar cars be?

• More than 30 years old (1982 or older, antique).

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • At least 20 years old (1992 or older, classic).

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • At least 10 years old (2002 or older).

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • It doesn't matter as long as it is a quality photo of a nice coach.

Votes: 40 58.0%

• Total voters
I have a question for everyone.

As I have been putting these calendars together for the Tri-State Chapter since 2003, I have always concentrated the photos on vintage or antique coaches. In the state of Pennsylvania, according to vehicle registration, antique is 30 years old. I have sort of held to that definition... 30 years old or older.

The current problem is that I have been sent a picture of a very nice coach that I would like to put into the 2014 calendar. It is definitely a calendar quality photo... Where the problem comes in is that the coach is only 16 years old right now. By the time 2014 rolls around, the coach will be 18 years old.

A lot of you have purchased the Tri-State Calendars over the past 11 years. What is your preference when it comes to how old the coaches are? Would you prefer the 30 years or older antiques or is a newer coach that is photographed well worthy of the calendar? I am really stuck on this photo. I want to include it, but I am not sure if the coach is old enough to be suitable for the calendar.

Any feedback will be taken into consideration.
Please let me know what you think.

Charles

I personally like 50's and 60's procars and that is what I like seeing most.

The PCS is based on car chassis procars.

With that in mind, ambulances ended in the late 70's (or around then) but hearses are still being built that way.

I would say it would be fine to include any hearse up until and including the current model year. They are welcome at PCS events that way so I say they should be included in the calendar that way.

I personally wouldn't want to own anything newer than 1968, but that is just me.

Thanks for asking all PCS members... that is the way every question or situation should be addressed. :thumb:

Although my personal tastes are different than many others, I am willing to include everyone's tastes in the calendar.

A little give and take makes almost everyone happy.

Darren

Thanks for the input Darren!

The coach that I am talking about is a limousine... Like the hearses that you mention, are still being built.

It is a really nice car and a really nice photo.

We have a few months before we start the 2014s and I would like to see what the poll results come back with. That is why I asked this question here. We have some time and I want to see what everyone else thinks.

I know what I like as you do, but with the calendars, I have to go on what everyone else wants and likes. I am not buying calendars, all of you guys are, so what you think matters.

If you stick with the 30 year rule, then I cant submit a photo of my 86 Lincoln S&S Coach. My personal feeling is that if its a quality photo of a nice coach or limousine, use it no matter the year.

I think pro cars to present day is ok, but I voted for 10 years because last I knew a car at a Interantional meet has to be 10 years old to be judged.
I know you have put cars newer than 30 years old, because a few years ago my 85 Eureka Pontiac was featured.

If I could offer my opinion, I think your rule-of-thumb of featuring cars that are antiques as defined by your state is a very admirable rule, but I see no harm in making an occasional exception if something worthwhile comes along, as seems to be the case here.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I have used the 30 year limit as a guideline only. There have been a few coaches from the 80s that I have included, but they are still close to that 30 year mark.

I enjoy seeing any professional car so for me, any year coach would make a good calendar car. I was always under the assumption that the older "classic" or "antique" coaches would be more interesting in the calendar. It seems that I was wrong on that assumption.

I am glad that I posted this poll to see what everyone else thinks. I don't know what I expected for results, but it would seem that it is leaning very much to one answer... Any quality photo of any year car will be just fine.

I will still always try to mix up the cars featured. Makes, models, coach builders, age etc. But I won't be so worried about using a newer coach.

A shameless plug next...
I am always looking for cars to feature. Contact me if you would like to see your car in a future calendar!

Patrick,

Pretty simple, nice picture, nice setting and large image.

A very good example of a calendar worthy picture is your avatar.

There really aren't many requirements. The picture needs to focus on your coach. The background could be just about anything that you like. At the cemetery, in front of a funeral home, at the entrance to the ER for the ambulances or just about any other nice setting.

Any angle that you think is nice works also. Full side, corner shots etc. I was never big on rear quarter shots until Brady Smith sent me a nice rear quarter shot of his 59 hearse. It really makes the fins stand out and looks good. Personally, I now see those shots as kinds different and refreshing. A rear quarter shot really shows the coach work off better than a front quarter.

If you send a photo, try and keep the image big. At the very least, 1MB. Most of the pictures that I take myself end up being 2MB to 4MB and usually measure around 20x12. That way I can let Minute Man Press crop and re-size them to fit the page without compromising quality. Photos can always be reduced, but when we have to enlarge a photo to make it fit, sometimes the quality just isn't there anymore.

Count me among the folks who don't object if a photo or two you feature in the calendar depicts a brand-new coach, so long as it's finished in an interesting color or has some other unique details emphasing how special orders never upset the coachbuilder. Think of that carved panel S&S delivered to Michigan on a Cadillac DTS platform just a couple of years ago. I'm also a big believer in rear three-quarter shots, as that's where the action truly is when it comes to coach-built cars, especially the ones employing less-common base vehicles like Fords, Chevrolets and Chrysler products. A step ladder is also a handy thing to have when you're shooting a high-top ambulance touting lots of interesting roof lighting.

The way I see it is, what would have happened if folks hadn't taken pictures of the new hearses back in the 40's, 50's and so on because they were "new"? I think as long as it's a quality picture it could be of any year coach, limo, or ambulance (car based). Us young guys will be older one day and would like to reflect on how it "used to be".

I for one like to cut up calenders for their pictures when the year is over.:893USA-Smilie-thumb

I too wouldn't mind seeing pictures of newer coaches, as long as it doesn't turn into plugs for dealers. I do think there should be something unique to the coach to qualify. Like that one-off 91 three way that Danny Ryder now has or that 93 Buick that was on evil bay recently that had a rear lift door.
Just my .02 worth, your mileage may vary.

The results and the comments on this poll thread have been very interesting. It has been cool to watch the percentages from the start. I figured that it would be completely lopsided toward "30 years or older". I was so wrong. At one point, the "any year quality picture" was up to almost 80%. The past few days as more and more people stop by to vote, the "any year" category has been holding around 70%. That category still holds the major majority of votes.

I really want to thank everyone that has taken the time to vote and especially those that have left comments. I now have a much better idea of what people want and would enjoy for future calendar photos.

Back