Plexiglas windows in '54 Superior Cadillac ?

Does anyone have Plexiglas windows in their Cadillac ? Someone went to a lot of trouble making the rear quarter windows in this '54 Superior. There is a compound curve at the rear part of the window so it looks like a professional job.
k4.jpg

Cheers,Pat

PBR....headache in a can!!! What swill!! Like an eclectic mix of panther piss and battery acid, strained through a steaming pile of horse exhaust!!!

the true test would be to check the other side. I betting it says Hecurlit in the corner. but then it's a odd shape they may have made that set in house.

As bad as Blue Ribbon might be, it is still better than Colorado Kool Aid. PBR is actually brewed by Miller, as are all the other beer brands owned by Pabst, which include Old Milwaukee, Carling, Schlitz, Blatz, Strohs, Ballantine, and many more whose names presently escape me. The "Ballantine" of 2day bears no resemblance whatever to the wonderfully hoppy brew made by the original company, and later by Falstaff. Pabst 2day is a "paper company," the owner of umpteen labels, but the actual brewer of none of them. The tip off is found on the label of any Pabst-owned brand: the address on all of them reads "P.O. Box 739, Milwaukee, WI." The big beer buzz du jour in Ohio is the availability here now of some of the Yeungling brews from Pottsville, PA, tho the best of them - the Porter and Lord Chesterfield Ale - are not yet being "exported" across the PA/OH border. Several years ago, A-B tried to buy D.G. Yeungling, but Mr. Y told them to go back to St. Louis and leave him alone. So, A-B bought Rolling Rock, closed the Latrobe brewery, and moved RR production to someplace in N.J. So, it pays to read the fine print on the labels. One more example: the Harp Lager sold in the U.S. now comes from Canada, not the Emerald Isle. Still says "imported" on the label, though. As I say, gotta read the small print................

OK, to get back on target with the question about the window....

Superior would have used real glass in that corner. But it was not unusual, if the window broke, to have some of those original windows replaced with plexiglas. Superior probably had a limited amount of those made, and it would have been hard to get a replacement 15-20 years later. Soooo, since the local glass shop probably couldn't just make a new glass piece with the curve, they likely did what they could - with plexi. That was common with the big curved windows on the back of Henney Packards, too.

Pinners were the only ones I've heard of that used plexiglas. Their curved window was such an odd shape, and they were so small of a company - and since their ambulances were so different from one another, each window was different - that it probably was cost-prohibitive to make that in glass.

Thanks Steve,
I have a elderly neighbor who used to "slump" perspex into complex curves when he was restoring WW 2 fighters..I will have to pick his brain regarding this procedure. Could be a good way of getting around some of that impossible to find glass.
Cheers,Pat

Back