Looking for cot/gurney for '59

Ok shuffled a few things around this morning. so we pushed out the gurnies and separated them here is the 54XL I have that needs a new home. it took me 10 minuets to remember all that holds the legs on a Washington cot is the that dangling hook. but it finally sunk in. then here is the difference in the Cot bars. I do have a complete set up bars and mounts for a ferno with a long tail. but only one set of mounts for the Washington. if it's anything your interested in PM me the hound will run about 150 to carry it to you.

I'll toss in the picture of the 52 I got from Kurt. this is up it will go down lower then the xl so it's going in the Armbruster. give the hanging stretcher another couple of inches

guess I had best hit up load to post the pictures

Attachments

• IMG_6931.jpg
    IMG_6931.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6932.jpg
    IMG_6932.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6936.jpg
    IMG_6936.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6935.jpg
    IMG_6935.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6937.jpg
    IMG_6937.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6939.jpg
    IMG_6939.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6938.jpg
    IMG_6938.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 117
half way decent day to day so we played with the gurneys to see which one went in the 53 best. I had been storing the Ferno 30 in it and it was tight between the hanger. we needed to take inventory anyway. so checked out both to see which one we wanted. the big difference in the depth of the basket. the 52 sits a lot lower then the 54 giving you a good 2 inches more space. for anyone besides me that hasn't see a Washington 52. here is one

Attachments

• IMG_6981.jpg
    IMG_6981.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6979.jpg
    IMG_6979.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6975.jpg
    IMG_6975.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 88
Dan, Nick is saying that your cot would be correct for my car, so, if its for sale, I will buy it. Does anyone have a cot bar for foot pad for this cot?

Nick - I spoke to Mark Christy and he said the exterior of his car (now Tim's cars) was rough, but the interior was in remarkable condition. It sound like he didn't have to do a thing to it. My car has the holes for the cot bar on the drivers side, and I don't see screw holes in the floor for a bench on the other side. So, I'm not sure where the attendant sat in my car.

My car also has a large gold Cadillac V and crest on the rear door. I haven't see that on any other '59 S&S. You can see in this pic that it was on the car before it was painted 6 years ago.

Joe - I am so glad you are a PCS member.

I too briefly spoke with Mr. Christy perhaps 2 years ago - these S&S's are very similar to my Eureka-Cadillac "Hi-Boy.". I didn't get into detail with him, but the story he wrote for the PCI webpage reports he "completely replace[d] the interior (with exact materials/stitch patterns)." Also note that the cot head would be over the stepwell, if it actually mounted as it is now. It would be extremely unusual for his (now Mr. Wright's) car to have a passenger-side cot.

But, it is not impossible - as in that timeframe Carl Young in Corpus Christi was urging ambulances to have this setup and included it in his now-fascinating book "Transportation of the Injured" in 1958. His thoughts were that if there was an accident/rapid manuever, the cot would be likely to impact the driver if it came loose. Also for agitated patients, keeping them as far from the driver is possible - also a logical concern. However, these concerns were primarily based upon the short-wheelbase combinations and straight ambulances without partitions common to Texas at the time. It seems the "wrong side" cot became common to late-1960s through 1970s ambulances on the West Coast, particularly Stoner coversions of Suburbans.

As to your seating - perhaps Jacob Fouriner can show how his bench and/or seats attach in his albeit - later cars. It may be to the wall or similar?

half way decent day to day so we played with the gurneys to see which one went in the 53 best. I had been storing the Ferno 30 in it and it was tight between the hanger. we needed to take inventory anyway. so checked out both to see which one we wanted. the big difference in the depth of the basket. the 52 sits a lot lower then the 54 giving you a good 2 inches more space. for anyone besides me that hasn't see a Washington 52. here is one

Hi Ed - just to be clear, this is a 52XL. I have the regular height Model 52, purchased from another PCS member. Photo attached of it prior to sale.

If no one else needs/wants your 54XL and you want it out of the garage - I do not have one in my collection and might be willing to drag it home from Detroit. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20170211_120618.jpg
    IMG_20170211_120618.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 59
Thanks for the info. Both of these set at the same height folded. Just under 20 inches. But the basket on the 52 is about 1.5 inches lower then the 54

but while we are discussing Washington Cots have any idea what this one is called. it resembles the collipsi-cot and would assume it was built for the the same function in the boot loaders and station wagon conversions.

the there is this stair chair also

Attachments

• washington road flat- low head room gurney.JPG
    washington road flat- low head room gurney.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 44
  • washington road flat tag.jpg
    washington road flat tag.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 44
  • washington stair chair.jpg
    washington stair chair.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 44
  • washington stair chair folded.jpg