Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:02 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Superior Backboard

I am continuing to restore the interior of my 1976 Cadillac Superior ambulance. Members of the Franklin Lakes Ambulance have advised me there was a wood backboard mounted under the full length squad bench. I have found some Superior advertising which shows a small backboard under a partial length bench, but no backboard under a full length bench.

The attached photo shows what I believe were the two brackets to hold one side of the board. (The white papers are just there to highlight the brackets and knob.) My question revolves around the 3/8-16 thumb screw at the other end of the bench. How did this anchor the board? Is there a missing bracket or did the screw go through a hole in the board? I have searched Superior literature, but have been unable to discover an answer.

Before anyone comments, I am a NJ EMT Instructor so I am aware of the recent changes in spinal immobilization, but still want to make a board for my ambulance.
Attached Images

Old 02-14-2018, 06:51 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,130 Times in 462 Posts
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

I remember those backboards. I probably have a dozen old backboards. Unfortunately, none like that. I'm willing to bet that someone in the PCS has one sitting in their garage or shed. The board slid into those brackets, and the screw went through a hole in the backboard.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:20 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,656 Times in 3,812 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Ask the people that remember the backboard, if it was made of wood, or was it a plastic one that was manufactured by Ferno. Either way, I believe that it was held on by those larger "thumb" screws.
Paul
Old 02-14-2018, 09:08 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,353 Times in 6,060 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

The thumb screw is to short to go threw a back board so it must have held the tin bracket. there would have to have been another holder or two on the other end.