Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Weatherstripping

Now I dont know how hard it is to find a good fit for our cars, but I ran across this and wanted to share it in case anyone else found it useful. Was looking into replacing the rear door weatherstripping and to my surprise JCWhitney has "1968 Cadillac Commercial Chassis" as an option.

I do not know how reliable the results are for this selection but I thought it was relevant enough to pass along since our cars are normally never in dropdowns on these kinds of sites.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/weatherstri...d=d3426y1968g2
Old 01-17-2018, 09:19 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,374 Times in 3,712 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

The facts are in the details... This is just a universal door seal, and despite what they say in the catalog, it won't fit your car.

Quote:
PRECISION PARTS UWS 133-25 UNIVERSAL WEATHERSTRIP SEAL, UNIVERSAL WEATHERSTRIPPING TYPE, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY, 25 FT.; BULB SEAL WITH RUBBER COVERED WIRE CORE PUSH-ON U-CHANNEL
Cut a small (1/2") piece out of the rubber from the underneath of the door, and then make a profile tracing. You will need this information to find the door seal that will work. Places such as Restoration Specialties have profile pictures on their websites, along with dimensions. Find the closest one, and then order enough for one door, unless you think that it will ab

Sometimes, close isn't close enough, and it may work on one door, but not seal properly on another. Sometimes these cars had door water leaks right from the factory, and only shimming the rubber with additional rubber would stop the leaks.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:31 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,010 Times in 5,916 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

strange that they are not giving you a profile. but it does look like maybe the first one is correct for a superior but it will not be for a MM or a S&S.

this would be a MM profile
Attached Images