Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:20 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Warm up transmission

Maybe its just that I'm paranoid and dont have enough experience driving old cars, but after warming the engine up for 15-20 minutes I notice that it usually starts out really hard to get past 20 mph until I've driven it around the neighborhood a bit and "warmed up" the transmission.

Until I slowly cruise around a bit, it seems giving it too much throttle results in what I can only describe as it trying to choke out. It doesnt sound like its going to stall but the engine stops trying to turn and acts like its stuck. Until I back off the gas and push it again, then it will usually start moving. Once ive got things moving for a decent amount of time though it runs like a champ.

Originally I chalked it up to the engine still being too cold, but now that I think of it, it makes more sense that the trans isnt being warmed up until it moves.

Is this just normal for old cars or should I be concerned about my transmission?

Alot of this is new to me but im trying to learn.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:10 PM
PCS Pacific Northwest Chapter President

Thanked 2,003 Times in 811 Posts
Groans: 16
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts

check your fluid level
Old 01-15-2018, 06:14 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Franklin View Post
check your fluid level
Checked that over the weekend and it was full. Had all the trans leaks fixed a few weeks ago. All fluids are surprisingly up to the full level
Old 01-15-2018, 06:20 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,943 Times in 1,084 Posts

Chances are the choke (on carbuator) is stuck or not opening at the right rate. This will cause a bog Trans sounds fine You do not have to "warm" them up. PM your phone number I talk better than type. Had many 60s Cadillacs in the day bought a new one every year from 62 to 71.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Grave For This Useful Post:
Danny Ryder (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:23 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,696 Times in 3,831 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Couple things to check.
1. Make sure that the choke is working properly.
2. Transmission linkage and the switch on the carburetor is properly plugged into the wire harness.
4. Transmission linkage is not out of adjustment.
5. Did they check to see if the transmission vacuum modulator is not leaking, and that the rubber vacuum hose from the intake manifold to the vacuum modulator has been replaced. There are two 6" approx. rubber hoses that connect the vacuum modulator. One at the modulator itself, and the other at the end of the metal line that goes to the transmission, and joins at the carburetor or intake manifold. Vacuum leaks can cause you a lot of grief, but are relatively easy and inexpensive to repair.
6. Engine timing must be set exactly as it is explained in the FSM (factory shop manual). There are exact instructions on what vacuum lines need to be unplugged, and capped so they don't leak vacuum. If the instructions aren't followed exactly, the timing will not be set where it should be. Vacuum effects a lot of things on a car, and sometimes it is difficult to diagnose.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,412 Times in 6,095 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

jump in start the car as soon as it fires and is running drop it in gear and go. idling the car is very hard on it and not a good practice. you are problem just loading it up with raw gas. the transmission after 20 minuets of idling will be at normal operation temp.not necessary at all. now at 0 out they will be a little stiff
if they are sitting out side but it only takes a mile of two to have them warmed up. just take it easy off the start and go.
Danny Ryder (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:55 AM
PCS Life Member

Thanked 2,328 Times in 957 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds more like a choke issue or even choke pull off not working.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Grave View Post
Chances are the choke (on carbuator) is stuck or not opening at the right rate. This will cause a bog Trans sounds fine You do not have to "warm" them up. PM your phone number I talk better than type. Had many 60s Cadillacs in the day bought a new one every year from 62 to 71.
Will PM you, I have some time during lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
Couple things to check.
Engine timing must be set exactly as it is explained in the FSM (factory shop manual).
I unfortunately dont have the manual, but I will look at the items you mentioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
jump in start the car as soon as it fires and is running drop it in gear and go. idling the car is vary hard on it and not a good practice. you are problem just loading it up with raw gas. the transmission after 20 minuets of idling will be at normal operation temp.not necessary at all. now at 0 out they will be a little stiff
if they are sitting out side but it only takes a mile of two to have them warmed up. just take it easy off the start and go.
I have been warming up in park, i will try this and see if this is part of my problem or not. I appreciate all the input.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:02 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,412 Times in 6,095 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

the fluid cycles thew the radiator. as that is were the trans cooler is, as it warms up so will the transmission. plus it has direct contact to the engine block.

the standard trick was to let it fire and then pick up the speed enough to let the engine clear out the raw fuel.l you don't have to race the engine at a high rpm just pick up the speed till it smooths out and will drop back to the high idle and run smooth. then you should be good to go. if it bulks and stumbles when you but it in gear there may be problems with the choke. or in the settings of the engine. Pet maybe able to talk you threw the trouble shooting of things.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Website Member

I havent quite figured this out yet but im guessing it probably choke related. Previously it had only happened when I first start driving, but Wednesday I drove it 45 minutes from Tulsa to Owasso and a few times while steadily driving 40 or so it happened, engine kinda starts cutting and acting like its about to choke out.

The only way to get it to stop is to let off the gas completely then hit the throttle again on and off a few times until it clears up and starts running smooth again.

in my limited knowledge I wonder if its possible that somehow the choke flap is falling down and closing while the throttles down?

Aside from this its been driving pretty good, its just doing this every so often. When I have some spare time I may just eyeball the choke and see how freely the choke moves. My mother in law told me to spray some carb cleaner on it, but if it was a remanned carb I shouldnt need to do that i'd think. My mother also suggested I put a "heet" additive into the gas to prevent water buildup.

I have done neither yet