Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate everyone's feedback, you all have more experience with this than I do. Truth be told, this car is in Alaska and although I can get the car for under a grand, the transportation cost are off the chart. So realistically, i'm not going to pay 4 thousand in transport cost.

Interestingly there are very few company's who haul cars from Alaska...
Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,480 Times in 3,748 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

There is one PCS Member that did purchase an ambulance from Alaska, and he found reasonable shipping back to the states. I am not going to drop any names, since it isn't my place to. Here is a picture of the car in Alaska prior to its arrival in the states.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2017, 10:34 AM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,206 Times in 5,975 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

one way to do it is to suggest to your wife you need to go on a cruse. fly to Alaska pick up the car and drive it on to the ferry and cruse to Seattle.

Kandy has not asked to go on one since we took two cruses to BC to pick up the bumper for the 58.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Super Site Supporter

Thanked 2,409 Times in 758 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Henry View Post
I appreciate everyone's feedback, you all have more experience with this than I do. Truth be told, this car is in Alaska and although I can get the car for under a grand, the transportation cost are off the chart. So realistically, i'm not going to pay 4 thousand in transport cost.

Interestingly there are very few company's who haul cars from Alaska...
David, being in the transportation business I can assure you that transportation costs will vary widely from day to day. It's just like real estate.....location, location, location! Some guy that's been sitting someplace for a few days with no load in sight will jump all over ANY load that will get him moving. Trucks sitting still don't make any money, but the expenses keep on going.

Get ahold of Rick Franklin, he's up in the northwest part of the country, and has/had a pretty good handle on transportation in that area. Keep checking, you'll be amazed what pops up.

For my money, IF you can purchase the vehicle for what you say, to me it would damn near be worth the transportation costs you referenced. You will be in, what appears to be, a pretty fair vehicle for not a lot of money that should be worth your investment with very little work. Just my humble opinion!!!

Quite honestly the '73 Lifeliner is one of my "dream cars", and if I had the money and room I would be all over that one IF it's in the condition we think it is.

COURAGE HONOR LOVE
The Following User Says Thank You to Russell Street For This Useful Post:
Rich Koski (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:29 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,035 Times in 2,336 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
There is one PCS Member that did purchase an ambulance from Alaska, and he found reasonable shipping back to the states. I am not going to drop any names, since it isn't my place to. Here is a picture of the car in Alaska prior to its arrival in the states.
Did that fishing boat on the roof come with the car??