Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Emergency lighting and Sirens

Emergency lighting and Sirens For discussion of emergency lighting and sirens as they are associated with Professional Cars. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:11 AM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Fischer View Post
Doug,
May I inquire as to why the manufacture date is so important to you ?
If you did not know the years of your cadillacs, you would nit want to know. Same philosophy. If we can keep this to people with actual factual knowledge of the siren it would help. Thanks. I want to know a bunch of thing its year or decade, what vehicle most likely on or known to be on. More about the rare only one with no actual front cover was it indeed the loudest and the only design with the holes in the stator that large as so far identified. Is it more rare saught after then others. (I love mine keeping it. In the process of getting a 3rd series now made in late 50's early 69. These are indded super loud as loud as the air raid alrm on the pole down the road. One mean loud siren. Awesome design.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:30 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,215 Times in 3,643 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Mounting brackets were often made by manufacturers to accommodate the vehicle that the siren was going to be installed on. You can't date a siren by the mounting bracket, unless you know exactly what vehicle that it was designed for, and then, it will only apply to the first year of that vehicles design.
As an example, I have a number of sirens that are all alike, with the exception of the bracket. Some of those sirens, you can actually identify the body builder, because the mounting bracket was made specifically for that body builders vehicles. Others used a generic bracket, since their cars were very similar.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:41 PM

Default The mounting brackets were made by Sireno. The parts that are with the siren.

Oh good God. I'm not here to argue about mounting brackets, infact I'm not here to argue with anyone anything not when they switched batteries, which I already know was 1955, nothing you can start picking away at every little thing and argue it, it doesn't tell me what the D.O.M of my siren is. I just want to know when the siren was made. The 3rd Sireno with the screen, the later one. Has its model tag right on the mounting bracket. I am talking about the part of the siren that was made by the manufacturer not an after market mounting bracket that was made by a separate company or bought after to mount this thing. The part of the siren that was specifically made by sireno (all parts in photo) mounting bracket, motor shell motor, stator they whole thing. That is Sireno. Not Sireno JJ bracket co. It's sireno you can see they made bolts holes into the motor shell perfect with the big thick lead or aluminum making it flush that you can see had the same paint as the rest of the siren, that is all sireno, made by sireno fitting together like a puzzle perfectly made by Sireno. 12 volt models those are Sireno mounting brackets as well. They are a part of that siren they were made in the plant with the siren, they also made switches and control boxes for these sirens, sireno did it all as well as federal, sterling, etc. Sireno didn't have another company make there bracket, wait to put there make model and manufacturer on the bracket after. The brackets are Sireno. The mounting bracket on my 6 volt is way older. The standard mounting bracket's I've seen on many many Sireno's, which are exampled by the 12 volts. My mounting bracket (made by sireno) is completely different. Check out this 1948 catalog of Sirenos made and pictured to sell with there said mounting brackets made by sireno 1948 they looked a lot closer to the 50's 12 volt then my 30's 6 volt thats doing a pretty good job dating These were not just mounted where you could not see them either as proof with the version with the screen. But the older design those are the only Sireno's ever built not to have a full front cover other then the ones with horns. I have already got information that it was an early J18. Why would John Dorgan say early if it was closer to the 50's when they redesigned the siren in the 50's there are other subtle differences to my siren vs that 12 volt that's show it was an older one. I just want a year or a decade okay? Here is an excerpt from someone who has done some homework on these.
I have a thing for Sireno's. I have a 1970's light, and 1954 Siren and a 1940's siren. I have tried to find history and compile history and dates on Sireno products but there is very little out there to go on. Your siren is unusual in it's design for Sireno. The only time I have not seen a screen on the front saying "Sireno" is when it has the large bell on the front. It may be yours originally had one. The single openings on the stator is unusual, even in the 1910 ads all of their sirens show double openings. I do have a 1934 patent of a siren design that shows a single row of stator openings, so they did make at least one design like that. It appears that Sireno began about 1908 as that is when they patented their name and trademark. during the 1910's they called the sirens "Horns" and they were used as we use horns on cars today. At some time, and I don't have the date handy, it was determined that these type of horns would only be used on emergency vehicles. The only other clue to a date on your siren is it being 6v. Most vehicles were 6 volt until about 1955 so it is no doubt earlier than that. If I had to make an educated guess I would say 1930's based on the above mentioned clues.

Now unfortunately I have got zero help from this site so fora, it appears general car guys just don't know much about this stuff. Contradiction to good information I've gotton, questions like why do I want to know my sirens year and stuff about mounting brackets. Can anyone out there help me with this.

It is stamped 133 2. Is it possible January 1933 second day or 1st Day, 1933, February?

http://elightbars-internal-data.s3.a...4f8814ed22.jpg

Last edited by Doug Wardenski; 05-21-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:49 PM

Default Photo of numbers stamped into the steel of the siren.

Appears to be 133 2 or 138 2 or 438 2. 1938????
Old 05-22-2016, 02:29 AM

Wink You tube video's of 6 volt Sireno J18

You tube video's of the Sireno J18, 6 volt serial 74211.
Long descriptive version:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bE8cYcImP4
Short let it rip version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooUAP1lw394
Old 05-22-2016, 02:35 AM

Any idea what the 32 volt model was for? Next page of thread I posted an ad by Sireno dated 1948 and they made 6,12,24 and 32 volt sirens. 32 volts, a tank?
Old 05-22-2016, 05:40 PM

Default 6,12,24 AND 32 VOLT available in 1948 when car batteries still standard 6 volt

Sireno made sirens available in 6,12,24 and 32 volts in 1948 (advertisement dated 1948) when car batteries were still using 6 volt batteries as the standard.
See advertisement above.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:57 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,748 Times in 5,801 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

32 volts was standard farm voltage in those years. the tank would be 24 volts.
Doug Wardenski (05-23-2016)
Old 05-23-2016, 01:00 AM

Thank's, I found out ships as well.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:43 PM
PCS Life Member / PCS So Cal Chapter President

Doug, the numbers on the motor have nothing to do with Sireno. Your motor is a late model Autolite MBB, made from 1958-63 and sold as late as 1965. Autolite (later Prestolite) manufactured this motor specifically for sirens. It wasn't unusual in the early sixties for someone to buy a 6 volt siren as a lot of 6 volt vehicles were still in service.

By the way, your mounting bracket is home made. The correct Sireno bracket was patterned after the B&M 132N bracket.

Last edited by Kevin O'Connell; 06-12-2016 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Add info
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O'Connell For This Useful Post:
John ED Renstrom (06-12-2016), Mike McDonald (06-12-2016)