Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:58 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 4,639 Times in 2,122 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Attila,
I see that they had different rims on the rear which look to be wire wheels. Do you happen to know if they were true wire wheels on the back, or just wire baskets?
Old 05-10-2015, 05:06 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,644 Times in 904 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

When my friend was bringing my six door from Tenn. one of the five excellent Jap radials blew sky high with NO warning, When he arrived here I checked the rest and all were cracking in the tread so they would not have been far behind the first one. Replaced all with a set of Vogues. Quite a few years ago I bought a Ford Cube van/mobile incident command vehicle from the state of N.J. vehicle 7 years old with 5700 miles and Michelin radials on all wheels. I set out loaded with radio gear for the Dayton Hamvention (720 miles) first blow out (tread fly off) at 525 miles. Second now no spare tire service and pay their price at 610 miles. Third at 680 miles tire service again now a very expensive trip. Upon arrival in Dayton went to a big Michelin tire store for warranty. I was told "Oh no they are only guaranteed for five years you were foolish to try the trip on the "expired tires" they should have been replaced before you left home base. They did give me a husky discount on three more new tires as customer perk. I just went and looked at my Masterpiece and the Michelins on it are starting to show some light cracks so replacement is in order before any long trip. My 56 Packard Caribbean has bias wide whites 10 years old at least and NO cracks. Another pearl the Pennsylvania State Police, if a flat occurs the tire is replaced not patched or plugged no matter how new. This is true of many other law enforcement agencies.`Overall point of this is check your load range on the tire before you buy all radials are not created equal your vehicles are heavy so high load range a must. Look for cracks in the tire they mean failure is on the horizon usually with a bib bang and maintain proper inflation this helps stave off cracking and sidewall failure. Another thing I have found and this is personal and should provoke some comments Radials tend to fail if you switch sides (right to left or vise versa) again the sidewall failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Grave For This Useful Post:
Mike Boyer (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 05:34 PM
PCS Member

I have never understood why folks with 1970 and older coaches would want to put radials on them anyway. Not only do the radials cause to coach to sit incorrectly and look odd, but you also have to deal with all of the blow-out issues. I thought that it was pretty much common knowledge that you should never switch sides with radials?
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Mike Boyer (05-11-2015)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Website Member

Thanked 7,983 Times in 1,875 Posts
Groans: 6
Groaned at 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
I see that they had different rims on the rear which look to be wire wheels. Do you happen to know if they were true wire wheels on the back, or just wire baskets?
Wire wheels.

The Following User Says Thank You to Attila Bethlenfalvy For This Useful Post:
Kurt Arends (05-11-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 02:44 AM
PCS Life Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
Attila,
Kurt, when I talked w/ the Druids they told me the wires were aftermarket reproductions of an older Cadillac wheel- I was thinking maybe the "Sabre" wheels from the 50s. I think but am not sure they said they were on the car when they bought it.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:08 PM
PCS Member

They must be the Kelsey Hayes reproductions, which are true wire wheels. I was just curious as to whether the wire wheels may have contributed to the fire. I like the look a lot(far better than later Cad wire wheel covers), but I question whether they should be used on a car that heavy. Such a beautiful coach and was it a combination??

Tags
1968, hearse, landaulet, sovereign, superior