Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:50 PM
PCS Life Member / PCS Membership Director

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Garage recommendations

I am researching steel garages (Worldwide, Morton, Olympia) for a possible build later this year.

Anybody have recommendations or horror stories that might help in making a decision?

Thanks.
Jeff
Old 06-08-2010, 10:51 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 13,952 Times in 5,884 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

just make sure you get a 8 foot door and at least 26 ft deep 12 wide at the vary least for one car
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
PCS Ohio Chapter President

Thanked 2,282 Times in 772 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Whatever you decide you need in size add more room. I did not own a procar when I built my detached garage. But still I built it planning on putting two small cars in end to end and have room for working around them. It turned out when I got a pro car I still had plenty of room. I still need more garage space though.
1975 Cadillac Superior 54" Ambulance
1973 Chevrolet Superior 61" Ambulance
1970 Chevrolet Stoner Suburban Ambulance
1970 Ford MCC (Pinner) Vanbulance
1966 Pontiac Superior Combination
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Website Member

Thanked 1,764 Times in 566 Posts
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Check out these guys http://www.steelmasterusa.com/ they sell an excellent building & if you ask them what they have in overstock you can get a great deal on one someone cancelled out on. They have 100% useable space inside, no rafters, 75% of the work is done on the ground, and they have stood strong in winds over 200mph.

I was VERY impressed with mine. They come 3 sided with an open front so you can make the front however you want. Hired a couple neighborhood kids & the three of us built it in 2 days. You can also have insulation blown onto the interior if you want to heat it. They have skylight panels available too.

If you buy one, please tell them I sent you!
Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Website Member

Thanked 6,846 Times in 2,259 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne Brooks View Post
Check out these guys http://www.steelmasterusa.com/ they sell an excellent building & if you ask them what they have in overstock you can get a great deal on one someone cancelled out on. They have 100% useable space inside, no rafters, 75% of the work is done on the ground, and they have stood strong in winds over 200mph.

I was VERY impressed with mine. They come 3 sided with an open front so you can make the front however you want. Hired a couple neighborhood kids & the three of us built it in 2 days. You can also have insulation blown onto the interior if you want to heat it. They have skylight panels available too.

If you buy one, please tell them I sent you!
That is one nice garage....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Richard Vyse For This Useful Post:
Danny Ryder (06-09-2010), Ron Devies (06-09-2010)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Website Member

Not to hijack this thread, but the Steelmaster garages are unique as you build the arches on the ground. Each arch is 2' wide, so you build 5 - 6 of them at a time & then stand them up, overlap the seams & drop in the bolts. The hardest part of the build is that the foundation is a little more time consuming than normal, before you pour your concrete you make a form out of wood so that when the concrete is poured it makes an indented "channel" in the concrete for the building to stand in. This channel adds a nice feature, all water runs out the end & doesn't seep into the building when it rains.

I rigged up a hoist in my old truck for ease when standing up each arch, just two steel poles & a crossbar with a pulley @ the top (stuck down into the holes in the bed sides). Check out their site they offer alot of different styles, from the A-series pictured to a more traditional quanset-hut (military) design. You can get different sidewall heights as well. As I said the best deals are their overstock buildings... back in 1998 I bought a 30' x 34' building for $2500 DELIVERED! They even sent a frame & header for a door opening (as well as the panels to close it in) since I was butting it up against an existing garage & didn't need the rear of the building enclosed at all. What I liked most was that there are no rafters, poles, or anything else in your way, it's all useable space inside & VERY strong. Everything is aluminized steel.

NOTE: BE SURE to get your building permit APPROVED before ordering ANY steel building! All-steel buildings are typically NOT permitted within city limits. I took the plans, survey, and all Steelmaster blueprints & info with me, got my permit approved, built the building, and then zoning showed up & said I had 72 hours to tear it down a few months later. I presented my permit & had them check THIER records, and got a nasty letter saying it could stay since they overlooked the material list & pictures, but they weren't pleased. The foundation I did is recommended, but you can also just sit it on a concrete pad & they provide you with a mounting system.

As a former customer I get $100 for every referral I send them that buys a building (supposedly) LOL!

Last edited by Dwayne Brooks; 06-09-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Added foundation info
Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Jim Tighe - Deceased 1942 - 2012 Jim Tighe - Deceased 1942 - 2012 is offline
March 10, 1964 - April 27 2012

Dwayne, what does Bucky-Rust have against steel buildings? Just be glad you don't live in some Moron-Ville such as Oakwood, the posh south Dayton suburb, where anal-retentiveness is a requirement for residency. Park your Mercedes-Bends an inch too far from the curb, and prepare for a citation. Neighboring Kettering is similarily enlightened. Sigh..............
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Tighe View Post
Dwayne, what does Bucky-Rust have against steel buildings? Just be glad you don't live in some Moron-Ville such as Oakwood, the posh south Dayton suburb, where anal-retentiveness is a requirement for residency. Park your Mercedes-Bends an inch too far from the curb, and prepare for a citation. Neighboring Kettering is similarily enlightened. Sigh..............
This was MARION, Ohio my friend! Can you believe that cestpool of a town had a problem with neighborhood improvements? This is the same town where when you live in the area I did (nicknamed "little harlem") you had to watch for the local deadbeats walking down the street on their way to the carry-out & pull the door down quick so they didn't scope out your shop for future crimes, ask you for pills, or proposition you. Lived there 13 years & never looked back when the chance to escape presented itself! My current home & shop is an old factory with room for 30-plus procars... now if I can just get the owner to sell it... love it here

(Jim, I was by your place this past weekend in the hearse but you wasn't around... bummer!)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Website Member

Thanked 6,846 Times in 2,259 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Damn, you have it made!!!! GREEN with envy my friend.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vyse View Post
Damn, you have it made!!!! GREEN with envy my friend.
Thanks Richard! It's 40' x 320' I think... give or take somewhat on the length. They used to cast those big cast-iron tractor seats here back in the day, after that it was a brake line factory for trucks, the WIC office for the city, a chop-shop, an antique shop... then I came along LOL!

Since you want SNOW Richard, come on up, Jim & I can accomidate you! I have some winter pix somewhere...