Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.



Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Jonathan Murphy Jonathan Murphy is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Brighton TN 38011
Posts: 115
Thanks: 34
Thanked 156 Times in 50 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default S & S Limo style

Is it my imagination, or is this a non-standard rear window design? While I can't find a photo to back my theory, I thought that most Accubuilt limousine style coaches had square windows, not slanted ones.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonathan Murphy For This Useful Post:
Jonathon Fowers (03-07-2013), Walt McCall (03-06-2013)
  #2  
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 AM
John Royark JR John Royark JR is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Elberon IA 52225
Posts: 2,885
Thanks: 1,931
Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Murphy View Post
Is it my imagination, or is this a non-standard rear window design? While I can't find a photo to back my theory, I thought that most Accubuilt limousine style coaches had square windows, not slanted ones.
Its not your imagination. I looked through my pictures and brochures of the years with that frontal styling and they have a slight angle, but nowhere near this much. Also, they are not as long as this, I would say roughly 5-6 inches shorter. The height appears roughly the same.
I cant copy my brochures at the moment, but here are a couple I have saved for comparison.

Name:  2004 S&S limo style 2.jpg
Views: 1734
Size:  30.2 KB

Name:  2004 S&S.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  19.7 KB
__________________
Current owner of:
1949 S&S Cadillac Knickerbocker combo
1985 Superior Cadillac Sovereign FWD hearse
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Royark JR For This Useful Post:
Jay Maynard (03-10-2013), Jonathon Fowers (03-07-2013), Kent Dorsey (03-04-2013), Walt McCall (03-06-2013)
  #3  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM
John Burchfield's Avatar
John Burchfield John Burchfield is offline
PCS Life Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spartanburg SC 29319
Posts: 481
Thanks: 1,135
Thanked 500 Times in 199 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

If you look at the white and black Masterpieces John Royark pictured above, the rear of the black window frame on the No.2 side door appears more or less vertical while that of the white car slants forward. I recall noticing this change on these cars, I think somewhere in the 2000-05 model run, but Accubilt may have done it along w/ the updated '06-'11 (or '12?) DTS styling. Seems like the photos were posted in various places here, but I don't remember where! It was a subtle change that I didn't notice until I'd seen several photos of cars from this era.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:21 PM
John Royark JR John Royark JR is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Elberon IA 52225
Posts: 2,885
Thanks: 1,931
Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burchfield View Post
If you look at the white and black Masterpieces John Royark pictured above, the rear of the black window frame on the No.2 side door appears more or less vertical while that of the white car slants forward. I recall noticing this change on these cars, I think somewhere in the 2000-05 model run, but Accubilt may have done it along w/ the updated '06-'11 (or '12?) DTS styling. Seems like the photos were posted in various places here, but I don't remember where! It was a subtle change that I didn't notice until I'd seen several photos of cars from this era.
Both pictures i posted are 2004 models, I forgot to mention that. If you look at the ones I posted with the one Jonathan Murphy posted you can see the drip rail trim is different on the factory limousine style, also the window is longer on the one he posted, going to the upkick in the trim at the bottom of the vinyl top. All the brochures I have it also shows all the limousine styled S&S having the drip rail run the whole length of the windows, and the vinyl does not meet the window edge. Even on newer models. That is why I think they were added later.
Does anyone know what year is the one Jonathan posted, or have any interior pics?
__________________
Current owner of:
1949 S&S Cadillac Knickerbocker combo
1985 Superior Cadillac Sovereign FWD hearse
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM
John Burchfield's Avatar
John Burchfield John Burchfield is offline
PCS Life Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Spartanburg SC 29319
Posts: 481
Thanks: 1,135
Thanked 500 Times in 199 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

John R., methinks the white car Jonathan posted is a 2000-'02 and there was a running styling change in the limousine Masterpieces. The white car looks like a hole for the window was cut in a landau model (which is probably how it is still done) while the drip rail surrounding the limo window on your '04 Medalist and Masterpiece certainly makes it look more like the window was "planned." I haven't seen enough photos of these fwd Masterpieces together to remember exactly when the change was made but knowing your pics are '04 models narrows it down!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:25 PM
John Royark JR John Royark JR is offline
PCS Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Elberon IA 52225
Posts: 2,885
Thanks: 1,931
Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Burchfield View Post
John R., methinks the white car Jonathan posted is a 2000-'02 and there was a running styling change in the limousine Masterpieces. The white car looks like a hole for the window was cut in a landau model (which is probably how it is still done) while the drip rail surrounding the limo window on your '04 Medalist and Masterpiece certainly makes it look more like the window was "planned." I haven't seen enough photos of these fwd Masterpieces together to remember exactly when the change was made but knowing your pics are '04 models narrows it down!
Did some more digging. Not sure why they would have done it this way, it dont make any sence, but here is a pic of a 1998 and it shows it the way as the pics of the 04's I posted. The second pic is a 2005, which looks like it may be like the one Jonathan posted (no top drip rail, vinyl meets window, and appears longer to the kickup trim), I wish I had a better pic of it, and the third picture, a 2008 is back to the old way. I cannot find any limostyle S&S pics between 05 and 08 to see how they are.
Name:  1998 S&S limo style 2.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  2005 S&S Masterpiece.jpg
Views: 2601
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  2008 S&S Masterpiece.jpg
Views: 2637
Size:  96.6 KB
__________________
Current owner of:
1949 S&S Cadillac Knickerbocker combo
1985 Superior Cadillac Sovereign FWD hearse
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to John Royark JR For This Useful Post:
Jay Maynard (03-10-2013), Jeremy D. Ledford (03-06-2013), Jonathon Fowers (03-07-2013), Ken Novak (03-06-2013)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'57 S&S Limo Style Parting Out Kurt Arends Craigslist Listings Discussions Forum 1 01-23-2013 12:50 AM
63 Superior Limo style Russ Austin General Discussion Forum 5 06-29-2012 11:00 AM
78 Superior Limo Style 3-Way Daniel Scully General Discussion Forum 1 01-24-2012 08:09 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 - 2018 Friends of the Professional Car Society