siren mount

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
i had a guy give me a siren light combo, i would like to mount it to the roof on my 57 pontiac. So im looking to get a mount for the tapered roof of the car. it does not need to match my siren, i will build a adaptor if i need to just want to get the base to start.

Anyone have one collecting dust on their shelf my old poncho would like it???

What brand Siren / Light is it or model number. A picture is worth a lot of words, since typing 1000 words is next to impossible without repeating yourself... :wwpics:

What brand Siren / Light is it or model number. A picture is worth a lot of words, since typing 1000 words is next to impossible without repeating yourself... :wwpics:

i will let you know what siren light combo i have tonight, figured if i get a roof mount i will adapt to my combo. but if we have a correct one even better. thanks

It is a Federal VL 2L14 siren light combo.

While we are on the subject of it what vintage is this unit i have?

Here are a couple pics of the base and it thanks again.

Attachments

• fridge party and nov parts 071.jpg
    fridge party and nov parts 071.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 209
  • fridge party and nov parts 070.jpg
    fridge party and nov parts 070.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 199
  • fridge party and nov parts 066.jpg
    fridge party and nov parts 066.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 207
The VL is the smallest motor siren that was made by Federal. They came with either a grill front (VG) or front light (VL). That siren never had a slopped roof mount to the best of my knowledge. You have to step up to a "W" series siren to get a slopped roof mounting. You could mount that VL on the fender or make a custom wedge for the roof if that is what you desire.

I'll toss this one I have in the mail. it's brass so you might be able to make it work for you. it looks like this one. supposed to have as set up like this

Attachments

• federal #c series mount.jpg
    federal #c series mount.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Federal #WRL.jpg
    Federal #WRL.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 190
The siren pictured above is a W series siren, and this one is specifically a WLR. The W series sirens are a larger motor siren, and use the standard Federal 4 bolt mounting bracket. The 4 bolt mounting bracket will not work with a V series siren, since the mounting bolts are horizontal in relationship to the siren motor, and the mounting bolts on the 4 bolt base are vertical and screw into the siren from below.

Attachments

• MVC-016L.JPG
    MVC-016L.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 168
Trust me, Rocky can make it work. a little cut a little drill a little tap and the base for the bigger siren goes on the smaller one. the only question is if the effort is worth the time to do it. I'm betting that if you remove the current base one can bolt this on in it's place and your good to go. most all the federals I have taken apart use the one bolt to mount the base to the motor. were this one was to be a two part mount for removing the siren with out taking the base off the roof, it can be bolted to the motor like the current base is. is it correct No. but once together most people would be hard pressed to tell you what was not right. now the cast block for the Q would bolt right on and give you the same slope base or one could make one out of a block of aluminium. but to me the feet under the siren light just look right on the older car. you can't beat the price I know that.

in the mail. looking at Pauls picture of the mount on VL it looks like one will have to cut a angle bracket to bolt the two to gather. the nice part about that is you can bend the angle to get the siren to fit if the slope is off a bit.
let us know how you do. you get the chance to go up to a bigger one then this mount will work on most of them to.

Attachments

• IMG_8098.JPG
    IMG_8098.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8099.jpg
    IMG_8099.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 61
in the mail. looking at Pauls picture of the mount on VL it looks like one will have to cut a angle bracket to bolt the two to gather. the nice part about that is you can bend the angle to get the siren to fit if the slope is off a bit.
let us know how you do. you get the chance to go up to a bigger one then this mount will work on most of them to.

I will keep every one posted, thanks again john!!!

Now its like christmas time waiting for the morning to open the presents:thumb:

Back