Commercial Car Chassis Future

Jonathan Murphy

PCS Member
Now that the Cadillac CT6 has been introduced, has any word been brought fourth that GM will offer it with a coachbuilders package? Does it appear that the XTS chassis is here to stay as a coach platform?

And what about the Lincoln Continental? Will they offer it with a coachbuilder chassis or is the MKT here to stay as well?

On a personal note, I like both the design of both the CT6 and the Continental (was surprised that there wasn't a hump on the trunk). I think they would make great commercial cars. My only suggestion is to use smaller wheels and bigger tires, especially on the Lincoln.

So far, the Continental is a concept, so I wouldnt venture a guess on its future as a potential platform for professional cars.

I believe the XTS will be produced through 2019. Until then the XTS will be the commercial chasis.

This article would suggest Cadillac will exit the coach platform biz in a few years.

We're given to understand that the entire industry is now producing fewer than 1,000 units a year. Given that fact, it is entirely feasable that Cadillac will exit the field as it no longer generates the numbers it once did and they have got to be looking at the expense versis returns very closely. With the withering numbers, they mnust be loosing money on every one of these that they crank out. I believe that the same would apply to Lincoln. The numbers are no longer there. Cause and effect - over reglate the builders (telling them what they can and can't build or do) , built ugly cars, raise the prices astronomically = low sales and this results in a declining industry which gives Cadillac fewer incentives to develop new platforms or even to continue with what they are currently doing. The short answer to the orignial quastion is...unfortunately..no.

Given all of the above it would seem the Escalade/Suburban/Navagator,is going to be what to build on. Body frame constuction,easy to stretch strong. The Sprinter in MB dress would style and trim up well for a coach and a boxy but roomy limo. Also the big Nissan van would lend itself to the task. After looking at recent efforts with Cadillacs perhaps starting with a high end commercial vehicle is the way of the future. (Just my thoughts)

Back