Tpc 169

David Henry

PCS Member
Looking over TPC 169 tonight and as I was enjoying all the photos of the vehicles that attended, I thought how nice it would be, if possible to add the State the vehicle is from (I.e. Ron DeVies - OH in his '70 Stoner Chevrolet Ambulance, etc..). It would help someone like me to get to know where people are from and how far they traveled to the event.

Also, does PCS keep a database of members cars that tracks where/when they change hands and a disposition when available?

Great issue, always looking as others cars, even if just in photos...

Thanks

Dave

Great idea on the people places and vehicles.
I hope the ones who make it happen will read this thread.

As for cars trading hands, etc. nothing formally but there are
members who are incredible at keeping that kind of info.

Steve Lofin, Cary Livingston and Steve Lichtman are just a few members who come to mind instantly who have great minds and ability to identify cars from the past including color changes, owners names, states they served, etc, etc.

Again, a great idea to have a section of the PCS website to have such a thing.

Looking forward to getting my copy of the latest issue !

Darren

Also, does PCS keep a database of members cars that tracks where/when they change hands and a disposition when available?

In a way - the membership directory has a self-reported listing at the time of signing up, it appears.

I agree - it'd be AWESOME to have such a resource. It's not like there's that many cars out there. It'd be a lot of individual/team efforts, but I believe it could be done.

Well whoever keeps the member directory (which I just received) if they could transfer Bill Leverett 73 to me, it would be appreciated.

I appreciate the history that Bill was able to assemble and it would be nice to memorize it in some fashion.

David

You have to send the info on your new car to Jeff Hookway.
He is the membership director.
His info is in the magazine on the inside cover.

Bill needs to send the changes to his info as well.

They don't keep track, that is up to the new owner to update the roster.

The roster is out of date but it is because the members don't update their own info.

If everyone did their part, it would be great but it isn't a concern for some.

Because the roster is issued every couple of years, it is out of date almost instantly as some members buy and sell often.

Lots of reasons it isn't a perfect list but life has other bigger issues so don't get to caught up in it.

It sure would be great if it was accurate but it isn't.

We think alike,
Darren

TPC #169 hit here on Monday 2-13-17. Fantastic as usual! Database would be great, but the people who do that on this site already have a lot on their plate.
It would be a wonderful resource. For example, I still do not know where my 1970 Superior Rescuer originally served, But a contact last month put me one step closer.

One of the things that makes the PCS such a great organization is the fact that almost everybody here freely shares any info they have with all of the members. The smallest question usually produces multiple answers from
many sources. :thumbsup:

That's why we publish a directory, and…

The information you asked for is contained in the directory which was included on a computer disc mailed along with issue 169. Prior to the publication of the directory we published a request for updated information for members. Very few reply to such requests. Putting that information in the captions for the photos would require room we simply don't have. It would also require me to do more work than I already have to do, as we looked carefully through 4500 images to compile the issue. However if you go to the list of cars that were exhibited at the meet at the beginning of the photo gallery you will find that the owners name and place of residence is listed there. So it is easily available to you, you just have to flip over a couple of pages.

Great idea.

I'm not computer savvy enough to know the details but would it be possible to develop some kind of internal or external site for a directory of vehicles? I know that at work we use "Sharepoint" to track equipment/vehicle exchanges, etc.

Of course the more open access provided, the more potential there is for the information to be changed/altered with dire consequences (ie. total loss of the database).

Thoughts?

So if someone were to create a database, what information would be beneficial to keep track of in a PCS Registry?

Owner
VIN
Chassis
Builder
Model
Style
Color: Top, Belt, Bottom

What else would be historic to maintain?

The roster is out of date but it is because the members don't update their own info.

Thank you Darren for the useful information, I had no idea how all this works and I will email Jeff with my information. As a fairly new member of the PCS and having recently acquired my ProCar there was not a clear way as to how this all works, so you helped a lot.

One thing that I have appreciated is all the help members of the website provide, it is hard to fathom how communications with members occurred prior to the interwebs.

Again, thanks

Ambulances - lights, sirens, flooring, cabinets, jump seats, lettering/graphics

Hearses - table or rollers, carpet or vinyl in rear, 3way, curtains

Interior colors, carpet, material - vinyl cloth or leather, A/C,

Combo removable panels, flip rear floor

Limos - divider

Suicide doors on ambulances and hearses

I'm not computer savvy enough to know the details but would it be possible to develop some kind of internal or external site for a directory of vehicles? I know that at work we use "Sharepoint" to track equipment/vehicle exchanges, etc.

Of course the more open access provided, the more potential there is for the information to be changed/altered with dire consequences (ie. total loss of the database).

Thoughts?

There are several "Wikipedia" platforms that could be used. You can see there's almost an entire "Wikipedia" for almost anything you can think of - from individual video game "worlds," TV series, etc. That would be how I'd recommend it be done - and I do believe it's a great idea.

Last edited:
I would think we might want to track ownership throughout the life of the vehicle. Knowing where a vehicle came from and what subsequent owners were could be beneficial in tracking changes to lights etc on ambulances as well as changes in color on all vehicles...

Got My TPC Today

I was excited to receive the latest TPC and live some memories of our Gettysburg Int'l Meet. Lots of great pictures and articles.

Thanks for another great issue of The Professional Car.

Mine showed past week north here.
May I suggest if we update the roster with infos, why not add the general state of a vehicle which may look like:
1: showroom
2: driveable
3: project
4: parts car
Some pictures on the web shows really nice pro cars but the pictures are 15, 20 years old; projects are going well or the cars are left rotten somewhere. Just like the '66 Superior used for parts for my Pontiac that was stunning... in 1997. Keep a picture database would be awesome but I think we have a better chance to do it on this forum, there is a lot of members who aren't computer friendly even in 2017.

I have intermediate Microsoft access database skills, since I have posted this I have been "experimenting" on what it could be like to have a National Registry of Professional Cars.

The only way to track the cars is with there manufacture number. To much gets changed from time to time on them. To be able to be sure .The attempt to do the citations awhile back showed just how fast they change. Every one had pictures of the same care in different dress.

Back