Is this neat or what....

This is a 1962 Cadillac Hearse and my first time seeing something like this. An air tube for the generator.

62Caddy011.jpg

62Caddy010.jpg

oops kind of defeats the purpose of the fan on the front. now if they could have only gotten the hose to go over the front it would have done some good. all this will do is cancel out the air flow designed but GM to cool the old generator. them fins under the pulley are fan blades and the hole in the back is to let the air out. but then maybe I've been wrong all this time and the fan draws air threw and out the front?? never has any trouble with one getting hot that did not have a bearing out of it.

An air tube for the generator.

Found a 62 Buick Electra 4 Dr hardtop in the local pick a part ,it had the air tube it was a A/C car .My understanding is the A/C cars had a higher output generator and if you only ordered the higher output generator it also had the air tube for the generator.

this caries cool air from in front of the car to the rear of the generator. The additional cooling results in higher output of the generator at lower speeds, which permits the generator to put out more amperage than a generator that doesn't have the cooling. The fan in front is designed to pull the air through the generator from the rear to the front. The Corvair has a counter rotation engine, and as a result, they used a reverse fan on the generator. The re-builders never realized this difference, and as a result, never paid much attention to what fan they installed on the rebuilt units. This lead to early failures of the generators. Some units, such as the Leece Neville on my Chrysler have a non directional fan, so it can be mounted on any engine.

Found a 62 Buick Electra 4 Dr hardtop in the local pick a part ,it had the air tube it was a A/C car .My understanding is the A/C cars had a higher output generator and if you only ordered the higher output generator it also had the air tube for the generator.

All air conditioned 1962 Buicks that used the generator had this cooling device as standard equipment.

that air tube

This air tube thing seemed common on a lot of GM cars when I worked in a service station many years ago. Yes, it was a service station. We checked tires, cleaned windshields, checked oil and batteries and pumped the gas. As I remember it was the big GM cars that had this item. And not all of them. I knew what this was with the first picture. Some one with a GM parts book can probably tell us how many years this was used from the factory and what models it was on.
Mike

:thumb:

Back