1961 Pontiac ambulance

Came across this online, and while I know it's a 1961 Pontiac ambulance, I've never seen a roofline like this. Any idea who the coachmaker is?

Adam

1961_Pontiac_Ambulance_WY_08_op_800x248.jpg

That is a Memphian Military Spec. Ambulance. Man and I seen it said 61 Pontiac and got excited thinking it might be a Dixie to.:( Maybe next time!:)

Thank you both! I knew somewhere here would know. I went out to coachbuilt.com, and found this:

"The last known coaches built by Memphis were also their most unusual. A small series of 1961 Pontiac-Memphian ambulances were built for the US Air Force that featured an extended wheelbase (at least 24") and an incredibly tall 48" high fiberglass raised-roof assembly that was placed on top of standard-height Pontiac 4-door sedan doors. The windshield was stock as well, but Memphis incorporated some very unusual rear taillights that were definitely not sourced from Pontiac. The 24" stretch was accomplished using the standard Memphis method. The leading edges of the rear doors were extended by 12" as were the leading edges of the rear quarter panels."

oo1961-Pon-Mem-amb-400.jpg

oo1961-Pon-Mem-amb2-400.jpg

I always get excited to see these oddball cars found. Too ambitious for me, but still very cool stuff to see. I hope this one finds a good home!

Adam

now that one is vary do able. it just depends on how much of the none pon stuff is still there. needs painted for sure but to me it looks as complete as any old ambulance out there. with the exception of the side molding missing. that would be a challenge to find. were in wy is it?

rust

If its a glass roof why does there appear to be rust running off the top? I think this is one of the more distinctive ambulances that could be restored IMHO.

Memphis did not do a glass roof that i know of but they could have done a run for the government. so there may be some facts not known. I understood they used the superior pon not the caddy because the caddy had the glass roof. and the specks called for a steel roof. same as the CBs this car most definitely has a steel roof. the thing with Memphis coach is they used the same top on everything.
look at all there cars and it has the same top back door arrangement. and pon were not the only car they built on. the reason I asked were it was is if you right click on it, it comes up with a wy in the name.

Attachments

• 1959 mercurey memphis coach.jpg
    1959 mercurey memphis coach.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,146
..."and an incredibly tall 48" high fiberglass raised-roof assembly that was placed on top of standard-height Pontiac 4-door sedan doors..."
If its a glass roof why does there appear to be rust running off the top? ...
...the specks called for a steel roof...
I'm not sure the statement about the fiberglass from Coachbuilt.com is correct. I believe that Memphis built all steel roofs. My (now Blackie's) '57 Memphis DeSoto had a steel roof. And Ed is correct with the fact that the military required a steel roof, which is why the Superiors had a different roof for the military vs. the civilian ambulance.

Can anyone say for sure?

another procar for sale as well

That company also has a 1967 Pontiac Consortfor sale at $2500.

Bill

Another '61 Memphis Pontiac

My friend, John Ringdahl of Fergus Falls, MN, had a white '61 Memphis Pontiac military ambulance for several years. His had a steel roof. While the car was interesting, it was anything but attractive.

Would that company specialize in pontiacs? and not list their address for security reasons,if so found that site here years ago, and lost their website, if you could share it,would be appreciated

For Steves post, would it have been higher and steel for multiple pts.as well as field conditions,and to also fit a casket coming from overseas, are they not much larger shipping cases than our traditional cases.This is just an uneducated guess,and those I am really good at:batterUp:

supervision how these old threads pop back up. the best place to check on any one of the companies is the coach builder web site. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/m/memphis/memphis.htm

this boys had a vary distinctive roof line that never changed no matter what car they build on.

you have to be a site supporter here to post pictures. as it the site supporters that fund the web site .

Back