Looking for cot/gurney for '59

Joe Puleo

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
also looking for a gurney and the holding bar for the '59 S&S that I'm working on.

Joe, I do not know for sure he has one, but try to contact PCS member Steve Lichtman. Steve was selling lots of ambulance related items a while back and he had a couple of gurneys, at that time.

You looking for any gurney or one model in particular. I have a 54xl up here needs a home. It would be more correct in a low top ambulance or combo.

also looking for a gurney and the holding bar for the '59 S&S that I'm working on.

The 1959 sales brochure shows a Washington Mortuary Products Model 54. That is most likely what you want. I believe Steve Lichtman had one in his collection.

For sake of completeness. Other contemporary options in 1959 were: Washington Mortuary Products Model 21 single-level, Model 52 (two-level like the 54, but not full "hospital bed height), Model 832-A (Called "Solo-Loading," a clear predecessor to the F-W Model 26 "One-Man" ambulance cot); Ferno (Not Ferno-Washington) Model 21, Model 54, and Model 30 (6-level X-frame cot, first year), and the various Baumgardner products.

As to the cot bar - it's unique to S&S cars. The brochure indeed shows it existed in 1959. I know C.W. Coach had/has at least one.

Thank you for taking care of this rare ambulance and restoring it to its original glory.

Attachments

• 1959S&SRear.jpg
    1959S&SRear.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 200
Lets see i have a Washington 54 and one of those washington 52. the 21 went home with the 58. But no special cot bars here that I'm awair of. Would you have a picture of it? I would think if one was using a washington gurney it would be a washington bar. And vice vers. The gurney will go on either bar but the bar takes there own mount to the car

Nick, thanks for the great info and pic! I can't make out if there is a jump seat in the front. Can you take another look at your pic. Thanks. Tim Wright in AZ owns the same car and this is a pic of the back of his car. You can see the style of the cot bar.

Attachments

• S&S Rear Interior overview.jpg
    S&S Rear Interior overview.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 143
That is a ferno bar. Pictures of rebuilt cars don't help a lot in figuring out what was in one new. As in reality any one can be put in at any time in the cars life. It would be more unusual for a car to retire with the original gurney then it would for the car to come with one.

As a cost saving equipment like that was moved from car to car rather then buy new. As the only thing different in the new car would be the length of the bar. All the side mounts would swap with different manufactures. With a few exceptions. So if originality is not what you are looking for the standard upgrade is a 30 ferno with the proper length
Bar. Nick has done a lot of research into them so if original is what your looking for go with his info.

Here's a factory photo showing the squad bench on the passenger side (standard location), a 54 cot (what was normally used in these cars), and the proprietary S&S cot hook:

Attachments

• 1960 S&S hightop rear interior hanging cot using #54 stretcher.jpg
    1960 S&S hightop rear interior hanging cot using #54 stretcher.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 1960 S&S hightop rear interior hanging cot using #54 stretcher CROPPED.jpg
    1960 S&S hightop rear interior hanging cot using #54 stretcher CROPPED.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 123
So......... what was the purpose of this photo? You would never have this cot in this position when inside the rig...... or was the stretcher used to elevate the hanging cot to the upper position?

thanks for the info John. Steve, great photos! An original gurney and bar set would be great if I can find one, but I wouldn't mind a Ferno 30 set if someone has one for sale.

Gurney

This came with one I bought. It is a early Washington. All I know about gurneys is that they have 4 wheels. :) Someone here can tell you if this might be the one you need?

Attachments

• 20171026_152114.jpg
    20171026_152114.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 111
  • 20171026_152137.jpg
    20171026_152137.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 110
that would be a 54. I have see a lot of Washington cots with the one bar stamped 21 one was even a 21. but now that I see what S&S used as the signature hook. I had one never knew what I had. at least it had the same big box on the release. but as I remember it was a black ball on the end. gave it to the man that owned the 53 ford turned in to a service car. Jim Russel did that in NJ that's been a few years back

Nick, thanks for the great info and pic! I can't make out if there is a jump seat in the front. Can you take another look at your pic. Thanks. Tim Wright in AZ owns the same car and this is a pic of the back of his car. You can see the style of the cot bar.

I am glad Mr. Wright got back to you. I actually called twice and left two voicemails hoping to see it in person when I was in town, but never heard back.

That car is gorgeous appearing - but not in its original condition. It had extensive work done, please see https://www.professionalcar.org/owners-pride-mark-christy-366 . Particularly with the interior - it is very hard to say what is correct and what isn't. Driver's side squad bench is unusual in particular - quick review of my S&S photos can't find an example of one setup like that at the time.

thanks for the info John. Steve, great photos! An original gurney and bar set would be great if I can find one, but I wouldn't mind a Ferno 30 set if someone has one for sale.

It is not impossible to find specific items for these cars, the members of the PCS (have you joined?) have been very kind to me. A "correct" cot for when the car was put in service will not be very difficult to find, if you want it. As noted by others, it all depends on "when" you plan to restore the car to look like - as a Model 30 indeed could've been in there in the several decades the car likely saw service. I personally tend to gravitate to my vehicles looking like they were when first placed in service - being "state of the art" welcomed sights in their community, as opposed to 10-20-even 30 years later when they were sad, neglected, unwanted back-up units.

The below cot from Dan looks like a winner right off the bat. This ambulance of yours is so unique, and will get plenty of attention from ambulance enthusiasts who will know what is "right" and what isn't.

This came with one I bought. It is a early Washington. All I know about gurneys is that they have 4 wheels. :) Someone here can tell you if this might be the one you need?

Yes - this is what he needs. It is missing the foot pad, but they are available out there. As mentioned, Steve Lichtman had one too.

that would be a 54. I have see a lot of Washington cots with the one bar stamped 21 one was even a 21. but now that I see what S&S used as the signature hook. I had one never knew what I had. at least it had the same big box on the release. but as I remember it was a black ball on the end. gave it to the man that owned the 53 ford turned in to a service car. Jim Russel did that in NJ that's been a few years back

The Model 21 could be converted inexpensively - at the factory or with a kit locally - to a Model 54.

Dan, Nick is saying that your cot would be correct for my car, so, if its for sale, I will buy it. Does anyone have a cot bar for foot pad for this cot?

Nick - I spoke to Mark Christy and he said the exterior of his car (now Tim's cars) was rough, but the interior was in remarkable condition. It sound like he didn't have to do a thing to it. My car has the holes for the cot bar on the drivers side, and I don't see screw holes in the floor for a bench on the other side. So, I'm not sure where the attendant sat in my car.

My car also has a large gold Cadillac V and crest on the rear door. I haven't see that on any other '59 S&S. You can see in this pic that it was on the car before it was painted 6 years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 93
Back