Gold Cross EMS, Augusta, Georgia

It would appear that my former 46 Miller Cadillac that was last owned and housed at the San Diego Auto Museum, now has a new home. It is now part of the 15 vehicle collection owned by Gold Cross EMS in Augusta, Georgia.

7647144014_6a19053844_b.jpg

More on this very impressive (and growing) collection can be found at

http://www.goldcrossems.com/?page_id=681

That's the very first place I looked at an ambulance for sale

I went to the Gold Cross garage back in 1996 or 1997 to look at a red 73 Pontiac by Superior. The back fenders had very serious damage and my body shop told me the repair would be impossible to estimate. Anyway it was the very first pro car my wife and I ever looked at. He also had a 69 or 70 he had just sold. I believe it was a Eureka. About a year later I met Andy Edmonds at a muster in Old Town (Orland). Andy has a collection of all black fire trucks and ambulances. There was the Eureka but now all glossy black. I asked Andy if he got it from Gold Cross and he said yes. If I'm every back around Augusta I'll have to check this place out.
Thanks!
Kevin

Bo Pounds is amassing quite a collection of antique ambulances. He currently owns Gold Cross EMS, and formerly owned Metro Ambulance Service (which was, at one time, my employer in Tulsa, OK). Two of his ambulances were, of course, displayed at the Daytona meet.

I spoke last night with Frank, Bo's assistant and the coordinator of all the ambulances, whom I had also met in Daytona. Frank confirmed two things for me. The Horton ATM Jeep ambulance (front and center in the photo) is, as I suspected, the vehicle that was a supervisor's vehicle and off-road rescue unit when I worked for EMSA in Tulsa. (Metro was EMSA's contractor, providing personnel.)

I also found out that their latest acquisition is the '53 Henney Junior combination which they purchased from PCS member Mahlon Thompson. It is scheduled to arrive in Georgia today.

Bo Pounds is amassing quite a collection of antique ambulances. He currently owns Gold Cross EMS, and formerly owned Metro Ambulance Service (which was, at one time, my employer in Tulsa, OK). Two of his ambulances were, of course, displayed at the Daytona meet.

I spoke last night with Frank, Bo's assistant and the coordinator of all the ambulances, whom I had also met in Daytona. Frank confirmed two things for me. The Horton ATM Jeep ambulance (front and center in the photo) is, as I suspected, the vehicle that was a supervisor's vehicle and off-road rescue unit when I worked for EMSA in Tulsa. (Metro was EMSA's contractor, providing personnel.)

I also found out that their latest acquisition is the '53 Henney Junior combination which they purchased from PCS member Mahlon Thompson. It is scheduled to arrive in Georgia today.

That is correct Steve. As you may know, I handled that ebay auction for Mahlon. A point of interest is that I was approached by four very serious collectors, one of them was Gold Cross. Needless to say, they were all very interested in owning it, but Gold Cross won. I hesitated to mention that they bought the Henney Junior, just in case they wanted to keep it a secret. Earlier this year, they bought my 1977 Miller Meteor limo-style combination, which Frank told me is about fourth in line to be restored. He estimates some time 2013 that the 1977 will be done.

They are nice people and very enthusiastic about professional cars. I hope to visit their museum one of these days.

Earlier this year, they bought my 1977 Miller Meteor limo-style combination, which Frank told me is about fourth in line to be restored. He estimates some time 2013 that the 1977 will be done.

Ah ya answered my question I had to myself at the meet in Daytona as I spotted the right rear quarter panel of a 77 M-M in one of the photos during their presentation at the banquet!:)

Out of the Gold Cross stable. Very nice restoration.

I note in the rear compartment the interiors are not built "in" and attachment of a cot bar would be difficult. In the red/white Gold Cross car and advertisement for amblewagons I have seen the rear walls are flush with the inner wheel well, allowing a cot bar attachment. Is this a factory variation?
Thanks for any information.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...2264804?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3ccc198ee4

Henney Junior

Here is the latest photo from the Gold Cross collection, shared by Frank Lindley of Gold Cross. It's the Henney Junior they bought earlier this year (formerly owned by Mahlon Thompson).

They've added some lights but it appears the intent is to keep it in it's original blue, which is good.

A growing collection indeed!

Attachments

• Copy of 53HenneyPackardJrComboPounds1.jpg
    Copy of 53HenneyPackardJrComboPounds1.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 659
Here is the latest photo from the Gold Cross collection, shared by Frank Lindley of Gold Cross. It's the Henney Junior they bought earlier this year (formerly owned by Mahlon Thompson).

They've added some lights but it appears the intent is to keep it in it's original blue, which is good.

A growing collection indeed!

Thanks for posting this picture Steve! I am happy to see that they left it that beautiful blue and have added a few lights. It looks great!

My son Kyle is headed to Florida for Christmas and is making arrangements to stop and see the collection. I hope to get there in April, when my wife and I go south.

Back