Another Christmas present.....

John Burchfield

PCS Life Member
On Christmas Eve an exciting looking box arrived. I was in the driveway airing up the truck tires in anticipation of our "White Christmas" forecast when a UPS truck backed in. I was expecting this box as it's been a long term project: a rebuilt S8B from Kevin O'Connell. I'd seen one or two in person and several in pictures, but I was stunned at how nice this one is when I unpacked it! Kevin really does beautiful work! The front section is beautifully polished aluminum and the rear plate looks sharp in bright red! Kevin also traces down the history of the sirens he rebuilds. This one was delivered to the distributor in December 1966 for the town of Longview, WA. Most likely it was used on a police vehicle. The plan is to install this on the '69 M-M, but it's going to be a while before I have some help finishing up the conversion to a siren/horn switch setup from a floor button. I'm tempted to put it on the '75 M-M for now, but the 28 on it looks pretty tight in the left hand battery tray so I don't know if it will fit. Anyway, I'm excited to have it! OF COURSE there was a "test firing" immediately after these photos were taken :071:. I used the jumper cables from the truck and put my foot on the base so it wouldn't tip over....sounds great! Didn't wind it up all the way out of respect to the neighbors, but that will come soon enough. Thanks Kevin for a beautiful siren! :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_1515_1_1_1.jpg
    IMG_1515_1_1_1.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1516_2_1.jpg
    IMG_1516_2_1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1517_3_1.jpg
    IMG_1517_3_1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 257
I was very impressed with the video Kevin showed us at the PCS meet in Albany !

His shop is much bigger and cooler than he lets on about.

I would keep that box too !

I don't own an ambulance. Maybe one day if the right one comes along but I do plan on buying a Super Chief siren from Kevin.
Even if it just sits on the shelf, I want to have one !

Kevin provides an outstanding service to this group and is a super nice person as well.

Hats off to Kevin !

Darren

I was very impressed with the video Kevin showed us at the PCS meet in Albany !

His shop is much bigger and cooler than he lets on about.

I would keep that box too !

I don't own an ambulance. Maybe one day if the right one comes along but I do plan on buying a Super Chief siren from Kevin.
Even if it just sits on the shelf, I want to have one !

Kevin provides an outstanding service to this group and is a super nice person as well.

Hats off to Kevin !

Darren

Well said, Darren! I've always said if I ever get another hightop, it will have to have a Super Chief up top!

Back