Siren choices

According to my Superior catalog, several siren options were listed for my 1962 limo style combination.
There is a siren brake button on the dash panel so that narrows it down.
Also, not all were intended for behind grille mounting.

I am familiar with a Q1B. (My first choice)
I have seen pics of EG, WG and 28H sirens. Do these have a brake option?
Also listed is a "Sireno R1 FR". (No idea what that one is)

I see several 28s on eBay but nothing with a brake except maybe a couple Q2s

I have a 64 superior combo, put a Federal 28 not knowing it didn't have a brake, so, I need a different siren. Maybe I could trade out or something, but I too am looking for a siren. Mine is mounted on the platform in front of radiator.

J.R. and Doug,

Your Superior combinations were wired for beacon and siren - including the switch panel on the dash - whether these items were included with the car or not. All of these panels had a brake button as standard equipment. The most popular siren on a combination from the late 1950s through the mid-1970s was a #28.

J.R.,

Please post a picture* of the siren mounting plate on your car. It's located between the grille and radiator, just to the driver's side. Perhaps we can tell by the mounting holes what siren was on your car (if any).

*You need to be a site supporter to post pictures.

*You need to be a site supporter to post pictures.

Not quite. One must be a site supporter to attach pictures. Lurkers/visitors this route can not view attachments in public areas of site.

Site supporter status is not required uploading images to hosting service of choice, then posting here. Doing so enables viewing by visitors.

Superior used the same switch panel on most cars. Having the spot for a brake switch doesn't mean it had a coaster siren. Only coaster sirens would have a brake. For Federal that would mean a Q, C series or duo-tone.

a lot of open holes and unused switches in that panel. a few that may say something but do something else to. the vast majority of combos we never equipped with lights or siren. they were ordered with the thought of second out and first call duties. the flip panels and attendant seats would be hand with those duties.

According to my Superior catalog, several siren options were listed for my 1962 limo style combination.
There is a siren brake button on the dash panel so that narrows it down.
Also, not all were intended for behind grille mounting.

I am familiar with a Q1B. (My first choice)
I have seen pics of EG, WG and 28H sirens. Do these have a brake option?
Also listed is a "Sireno R1 FR". (No idea what that one is)

I see several 28s on eBay but nothing with a brake except maybe a couple Q2s

How about a B & M Super Chief

Russ

under dash box

What would these on/off switch wires have fed to? They were cut this way when I opened it up.

I have switches and hot wires for siren brake, siren horn, roof light, rear heater, dome light.

Attachments

• dash box cut.jpg
    dash box cut.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 290
on this 63 we have at the house one of them turns the lights on behind the switches. this one a has a end switch one at either side. one is the master to turn the box on the other is the light. what your showing is what I was saying. a switch hat has never been hooked up

Can someone take pity on a guy who never got to play with sirens. What does a brake do?

It stops a coaster siren from rolling by using a plunger that activates when the brake button (a momentary switch) is used. The pressure from the plunger stops the rotor - the device that pulls in air and puts out sound - from spinning.

Here are a couple of examples:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UsthSnw9Z0[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIKU6gy-ZkE[/ame]

The motor driven sirens have a heavy rotor and good bearings that allow them to coast for a long time after the power is shut off. It still emits sound while coasting. The brake pops up and stops the rotation.

The motor driven sirens have a heavy rotor and good bearings that allow them to coast for a long time after the power is shut off. It still emits sound while coasting. The brake pops up and stops the rotation.

:poster_oops:
Siren brakes are/were commonly used when someone accidently lays on the siren button and you need to quiet it in a hurry to avoid embarassment.

It is actually a coaster siren bearing that was originally developed by the B & M Siren Company. At some point in time, the owner of B & M Siren Company gave Federal Sign & Signal permission to use their design. Possibly Kevin O'Connell, the present owner of B & M will give the full details of the design of the coaster bearing assembly.

:poster_oops:
Siren brakes are/were commonly used when someone accidently lays on the siren button and you need to quiet it in a hurry to avoid embarassment.

Been there done that a couple of times in our fire trucks before. :pat: The siren brake helps a lot, but after you do it, you still want to go crawl in a hole and hide, lol. :boom:

the rotaror on some of the roof mounted ones would spin going down the road. the brake would help keep the low mone down.

the trick was to turn every thing on and leave. then when the next guy jumped in the rig to go, the master was the first then turned on. firing up all the lights and siren in the stall. better then exlax when you all ready keyed up for the next run

Back