1941 Calillac US Gov. Ambulance

i 'll get pics tomorrow,, i have it "tucked" away.... its has jump seats in the back,, and no rear side windows,, OD green,, with gov normenclature!! with DOD,, date of delivery,, pics to come,, jc

Jeff,
Any chance we may see this car in person this year at the Ohio Chapter Bring Your Own Coach Picnic in Grove City?

were is the meeting?? at?? i'm in GC..time? date? i'm new to the site,the guy down the road on alkire has lots of ambulances,, its this you?, jc

Jeff, welcome to the site! It's great to see more Ohio people on here. The Bring Your Own Coach on Alkire in Grove City is usually the first or second weekend in September. We haven't gotten a confirmation of the date yet from the organizer.

houseandcarsFS065.jpg

houseandcarsFS018.jpg

houseandcarsFS020.jpg

houseandcarsFS019.jpg

houseandcarsFS041.jpg

houseandcarsFS042.jpg

houseandcarsFS043.jpg

houseandcarsFS044.jpg

houseandcarsFS023.jpg

houseandcarsFS024.jpg

its is in as found condition,, i got it running then parked it, well barried it.. its got OD green all over,, and looks as if undercoating under hood, and firewall,, seats fold forward,, and i need a NEW lense for the REAR top light,, it mounts above the rear door.. its a cool Ambulance.. likly one of a kind?? Notice the litter rack holders. anyone have any info?? built DOD (date of Delivery)4-30-41,, well before Pearl Harbor,,

Enjoy!!:893USA-Smilie-thumb

From what can be seen, it looks like it could be a Superior. May also be a Miller but, it's hard to tell from what can be seen. Interesting car. Thanks for posting photos.

Thanks for posting the pictures!

Looks like you have a fairly solid car to work with. Just needs a *little* TLC!

One of kind manufactured? Probably not, but one of a kind still existing? Maybe!

Can't wait to see it out and about!

Thanks for posting the photo's. It is a neat coach and goodluck on its restoration, It will be a head turner even more, with a little work.

WOW!!! awsome pics, i'll add to this thread. i m think stateside, no reason to have shipped a civilian type softskin vehical to Europe, as we left 100's of thousands of military type trucks etc there. i'm thinking its stateside at a hospital. or where i got his truck from...

GMCCOMPRESSOR014.jpg

GMCCOMPRESSOR045.jpg

driverside.jpg

this truck is a 1945 Leroi Compressor truck,, used at Pilgrim State Hospital,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrim_Psychiatric_Center

its was used to jack hammer through the frozen ground, durring the winter months, for grave sites. "grim" yes for sure. the hospital after the war was used to treat the POSTWAR STRESS systems, aka, "Shell shock" etc, if you dig deeper into Pilgrim State Hospital it gets weird, as ALL sorts of new medicins/ treatement were being used at the time, including "shock treatment" etc

agree 100% on your statement,

"One of kind manufactured? Probably not, but one of a kind still existing? Maybe!"

exactly what i meant, "but one of a kind still existing"

and the word, "rare" gets overly used.:pat:.

thanks for all the info,, i posted those pics on my wwii site, about unit markings!!! more info to come.

jc

i m still trying to figure this site out,, and havnt found the "purpose statement" yet, lol i dont want to go astray and want to stay on site... LOL i have lots of WWII stuff. :thankyou2:

here's a cool one with me from years ago... 1 0f 6 know to exist(i have 3 of them) lol:2gunsfiring_v1:

WC11 wwii 1/2 ton

wc11.jpg

wc111.jpg

What do you mean by purpose statment, if it is what we are and our goals, we are an organization with the goal of preserving, maintaining, and restoration of professional cars. A professional car is defined as a funeral, livery, or ambulance class vehicle having special coachwork exicuted on passenger car styling and includes hearses, flower cars, limousines, sedan based ambulances ETC.
Your military vehicles (or other vehicles) would not be included in this description (except the 41 Superior) and should not be posted in this forum, but may be allowed in the off topic section.

Looking through my pics I came across more of your ambulance from years ago.

1941 military ambulance 1.jpg

1941 military ambulance 2.jpg

Back