'79 AMC Concord hearse

Site search here didn't yield results so apology if mentioned before. Just came across story (which has additional pics). SD Craigslist ad is long gone.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/blog/cc-for-sale-1979-amc-concord-bureau-of-indian-affairs-hearse-the-most-modest-hearse-ever/

AMC-Concorde-hearse-frs.jpg

AMC-Concord-hearse-sign.jpg

AMC-Concord-hearse-platform.jpg

Both Pennsylvania New Jersey Philadelphia and the Feds had lots of AMC products in the 70s. The FBI ran Matadors with 360s in them police package certified speedos,USPS had Concord Wagons.Most everyone else went for the standard Concord sedan 6cyl AC,PS,PB. I bought lots of them when disposal time came. They were great cars dependable hard on brake pads. Sold about twenty to a friend for a rent a clunker operation they were fine and if one got totaled he always got more than he paid for it from the Ins. Co. Had a couple of wagons like this one same color and interior can't remember where they came from. I remember selling one to a Pizza Shop it was great for them no back seat and the shelf. The Eagles were the car way ahead of their time went great in the snow and fairly economical. Very economical compared to their peers.

A quick search of Craigslist shows that this ad is still active, and the car is still available. Interesting example of a lowball government car.

I owned a Ford Fairmont wagon that had been a fire dept. chief's car. The back seat had been removed and a plywood floor installed like this. After I bought the car, I called the fire department and found out they still had the seat, so I got it.

I knew about this car the first time it was listed for sale, as the owner of the AMC limousine that was at the Milwaukee meet brought it to my attention. My response to him was that given my penchant for oddball cars, I would have been a lot more interested if it was more like a real hearse and less like what it is, just a wagon with tinted windows.

Site search here didn't yield results so apology if mentioned before. Just came across story (which has additional pics). SD Craigslist ad is long gone.

AMC is too small to search on, Concord(e) is sometimes spelled with an "e", but I knew it was here before and remembered it was associated with an Indian reservation, so I searched on that. Here you go:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13921&highlight=Indian

Can't believe we got one past you...:)

we did discuss this one before also, the department of interior doesn't have any hearses. rigs are rented from GSA. department of interior does not operate on the reservation that would be BIA or FBI. but things like shuffling bodies would be handled by the tribal government. they all have ambulances and funeral homes that operate in the 8 reservations in the state of SD. what your most likely looking at is a old surveyors wagon. the tray with the lip around it would hold the equipment necessary to do that. the only department of interior in the state is at Mount Rushmore, the Bad lands national monument, wind cave national park and Jewel Cave. the forest service oversees the black hills national forest, the Custer national forest, both the Ogalla national grasslands and the Pierre national grasslands. the coure of engineers the waters and dams on the river the Indian nation in the US is the only place people have to obey the law for 3 separate agencies and 3 separate courts. the state of SD the tribal of the reservation there are on at the moment and the federal System. all this car is is a old Rambler Wagon sold a GSA auction. now the auctioneer could have said it might have been used as a hearse. anything to get a bid

wagons

I bought several of those wagons from a gov. sale back in the 80's. if I remember correctly I might have paid 4 or 500 bucks a piece for them. washed em and painted 399 down on the windows and sold all of em. 258 straight six with auto and ac. farly low miles if I remember correctly. they were light blue and a few white if I remember correctly. I know I bought 7 or 8 of em and in general were good cars. 258(4.0) motors are bulletproof.

I would agree this couldn't possibly be a hearse as the AMC Concord teams such a small body with a tiny rear hatch. Using one to transport human remains would be the wheeled equivalent of a night deposit slot at your local funeral home!

Another AMC Concord "hearse", this one a 1980. I wonder if the seller is basing his information on the blue '79 being sold as a hearse?

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/4689374920.html

1980 AMC Hearse 258ci, auto, air. 58,000 original miles. This car was sold to the US government and used on the reservations as a hearse. The rear door window cranks and seat was factory deleated.

00n0n_f9uPTghn8i3_600x450.jpg

00909_7RM30XHDqBl_600x450.jpg

Back