Fleet shots

wagons

Very nice, Scott. Callaway-Jones Funeral Home in Bryan, TX had a similar Mercury wagon years ago that was very nice. I liked the wagons when we could run them.
I remember them skip. by the time they would get to Houston with a trauma case they couldn't use the q. went to electronics and cured the problem.

I remember them skip. by the time they would get to Houston with a trauma case they couldn't use the q. went to electronics and cured the problem.

That Mercury wagon had a B&M CS8B in the roof, along with twin Mars FLs and a Sireno hill light in the rear, along with Red Unity lights on the bumper. They had an awesome 1960 high top Buick ambulance. Not sure who built it, but it had Superior-type bullet lights front and rear with a 174 on the high top, and a 28 behind the grille. I would've loved to have had that one.

I would figure that whatever replaced that Mercury would've had a Q. What you said about the Houston trip reminds me of my '65 Consort that someone had put a 35-amp alternator on w/o anyone knowing it. I ran triple beacons, red pancakes, a Q and an Interceptor on that unit; and the first run we made in it we lost light and sound power. Swiftly got that small alternator replaced.

Here's a shot taken from a recent Facebook post. The American A.S. in Springfield, IL operated these four 1963 M-Ms; two combinations, two ambulances. Perhaps Dan Brintlinger or David Burkham can tell us what colors they were:

Attachments

• 1618709_10152223703596285_1277733802_n.jpg
    1618709_10152223703596285_1277733802_n.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 997
its been a while.........

Here's a shot taken from a recent Facebook post. The American A.S. in Springfield, IL operated these four 1963 M-Ms; two combinations, two ambulances. Perhaps Dan Brintlinger or David Burkham can tell us what colors they were:

I think they were white/medium red (something like Shaefer's in L.A.) but I'm not sure.............

The Fleet as of Today

Got all five together today for a group photo

Attachments

• 313.jpg
    313.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 534
  • 310.jpg
    310.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 530
Kingston, NY in 1960

Found this image recently while in Saugerties, NY. This was in a 1960 fire fighter's publication!

Attachments

• Fatums Amb Service.jpg
    Fatums Amb Service.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 799
Here's a fleet shot that I just got yesterday, from the Wheaton Rescue Squad, Wheaton, MD.

'55 National Chevy
'56 Pontiac wagon
'50 Superior Cadillac
(background is a '41 ALF Chevy pumper/rescue squad)

Attachments

• WheatonFleet1959 2.jpg
    WheatonFleet1959 2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 743
Steve, This is a great post that I have viewed for the first time. I noticed that the 1964 Vista Cruiser in the first photo is equipped with Sidle"s Sun Shades. The shades were invented and produced right here in Temple, TX. They were offered in the Sears catalog and shipped worldwide. The claim was that they lowered the interior temperature by 15 degrees. The son (Scott) continued production until his death in the early 2000's.

Thanks for the corrections. I relied on information from a list I had that is, apparently, not correct. Admittedly, I'm bad on some of those years.

Looks like another 50ish Caddy behind the Chevy
I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out. I believe that is the same one as in this "urgent fundraising" photo from the era. A little bit "extra crispy"...

Attachments

• Burned Cadillac.jpg
    Burned Cadillac.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 561
Working on updating website photos and got a cloudy day:

Attachments

• 73 and 77.jpg
    73 and 77.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 77 and 92.jpg
    77 and 92.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 228