'41 Henney Packard

Found this at a Packard swap meet and show last Friday. It looks like a '41 Packard seven passenger sedan, which would be interesting as that is. Well, it turns out it's actually a '41 Henney Packard sedan ambulance. It has Henney logos and the removable post, split/removable front seat, and it even has holes in the dash where the sign mounts were on the passenger side windshield.

Rare as it is, the interesting thing is that this is a Packard One Sixty, the top of the line luxury model. Most of these would have been built on the One Twenty, which would have been large and powerful enough for use as a sedan ambulance. One of the Packard folks wondered that one could have bought two One Twentys for the price of a One Sixty back in the day. Why?

The current owners live in Maryland and have done a top-notch restoration job. They bought it in rough shape, from someone who bought it from some kids using it for a band hauler in Xenia, OH. Anyone from Ohio know any prior history?

Yes, both George and I have talked to the current owner about the PCS, hopefully we will see him at a meet soon!

Attachments

• 20110506121000s.jpg
    20110506121000s.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 319
  • 20110506150246s.jpg
    20110506150246s.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 312
In 1941 the top-of-the-line car was the Custom 8 Super 180. Non the less the 160 was a very fine Packard. I would be proud to be the owner of one, especially the one shown us here.

Steve Lichtman, Thank you!!!!

Yes, both George and I have talked to the current owner about the PCS, hopefully we will see him at a meet soon!
So did the owner understand what the car was, or did they think this was a custom limousine with some unusual bespoke options? I would think that someone doing that kind of restoration would know it was an ambulance, but it's not displayed as such and it managed to slipped under our radar....

I can add another possibility for the car's use. Some sanatoriums and homes used them too. I can see a fancy facility using one exclusively for their patients.

Would these types of vehicles be the equivalent of todays smaller van style ambulances, mostly used for interfacility work?

Back