Hurricane Schmuricane, We Had a Car Show Today

Several months ago, the Potomac Region of the Cadillac-LaSalle Club announced their annual fall show’s theme would be “Professional Pride”. They invited PCS members to bring their Cadillac professional cars, and invited PCS Publicity Director Gregg Merksamer to be the keynote speaker.

The first event, yesterday, was a visit to the Baltimore Streetcar Museum. Three cars were displayed, including Brian Ochs’ ’77 Superior Transport and George Hamlin’s NOS ’62 Studebaker “Ambulet” (it wasn’t originally an Ambulet, but with the availability of some NOS parts, it’s becoming one now). We got to ride several of the old Baltimore Streetcars, one of which is over 100 years old. It was a nice, sunny, warm day (undoubtedly our last this year).

The main show was scheduled for today. With the threat of Hurricane Sandy looming, many folks cancelled. But the show went on and some of us did go. It was held at the Capitol Cadillac dealership in Greenbelt, MD. It was a cloudy, cool, breezy day, but the rain held off at least until we all left!

I brought my ’70 M-M ambulance. PCS Mid-Atlantic Chapter Vice President Jay Donaldson brought his very nice ’41 Eureka Carved Side hearse. There were also some limos brought by non-PCS folks: a ’40 Series 75 limo, a ’69 Series 75, a ’73 Series 75 owned by the owner of the dealership (originally a government car assigned to Pat Nixon, President Richard Nixon’s wife), a ’94 stretch limo of unknown make, and a ’96 H&E 24” stretch limo with jump seats. Several of the professional cars were displayed inside the showroom of the dealership.

Like others, Gregg had to cancel at the last minute due to the impending storm. The keynote address was delivered by George Hamlin – you want to see something unusual, it’s George (a Packard and Studebaker man) speaking to Cadillac folks! :yum:

George and Bee Hamlin had a display table for PCS, and car artist and PCS member John Boehm had a display of his work as well. I won 1st Place in my class, and “Ladies’ Choice”. Jay won 1st Place in his class and took home the cup for Best of Show! :applause:

So it was a threatening day, a cool and cloudy day, and many folks didn’t show (including visitors). But overall, the CLC folks were very welcoming and we had a great day.

Now the cars are all safely in their garages. And I'm posting this now in case we lose power for the next week.
:snow_smi:

Attachments

• IMG_0848s.jpg
    IMG_0848s.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0901s.jpg
    IMG_0901s.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0936s.jpg
    IMG_0936s.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0940s.jpg
    IMG_0940s.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures and the report Steve. Too bad the show was today, I bet there would have been a much bigger crowd, if not for the storm. BTW, your ambulance looks great!

Several months ago, the Potomac Region of the Cadillac-LaSalle Club announced their annual fall show’s theme would be “Professional Pride”. They invited PCS members to bring their Cadillac professional cars, and invited PCS Publicity Director Gregg Merksamer to be the keynote speaker.

The first event, yesterday, was a visit to the Baltimore Streetcar Museum. Three cars were displayed, including Brian Ochs’ ’77 Superior Transport and George Hamlin’s NOS ’62 Studebaker “Ambulet” (it wasn’t originally an Ambulet, but with the availability of some NOS parts, it’s becoming one now). We got to ride several of the old Baltimore Streetcars, one of which is over 100 years old. It was a nice, sunny, warm day (undoubtedly our last this year).

The main show was scheduled for today. With the threat of Hurricane Sandy looming, many folks cancelled. But the show went on and some of us did go. It was held at the Capitol Cadillac dealership in Greenbelt, MD. It was a cloudy, cool, breezy day, but the rain held off at least until we all left!

I brought my ’70 M-M ambulance. PCS Mid-Atlantic Chapter Vice President Jay Donaldson brought his very nice ’41 Eureka Carved Side hearse. There were also some limos brought by non-PCS folks: a ’40 Series 75 limo, a ’69 Series 75, a ’73 Series 75 owned by the owner of the dealership (originally a government car assigned to Pat Nixon, President Richard Nixon’s wife), a ’94 stretch limo of unknown make, and a ’96 H&E 24” stretch limo with jump seats. Several of the professional cars were displayed inside the showroom of the dealership.

Like others, Gregg had to cancel at the last minute due to the impending storm. The keynote address was delivered by George Hamlin – you want to see something unusual, it’s George (a Packard and Studebaker man) speaking to Cadillac folks! :yum:

George and Bee Hamlin had a display table for PCS, and car artist and PCS member John Boehm had a display of his work as well. I won 1st Place in my class, and “Ladies’ Choice”. Jay won 1st Place in his class and took home the cup for Best of Show! :applause:

So it was a threatening day, a cool and cloudy day, and many folks didn’t show (including visitors). But overall, the CLC folks were very welcoming and we had a great day.

Now the cars are all safely in their garages. And I'm posting this now in case we lose power for the next week.
:snow_smi:

Steve,
AMBULANCE LOOKING GREAT !!!!!!:thumb:

Congratulations on the win !!:clap:

Please stay safe and hope all goes well with no problems or power outages !!

Jim

Back