Slight clicking in my motor...

The Criterion has a slight clicking in the left bank. It is less noticable after it is warmed up but still there. I have not changed the oil yet but once that is done and if it continues, are there any remedies available other than tearing the motor apart.:thumbsdown:

Before you change the oil, put a quart of engine flush such as Rislone into the engine and drive it for a while. Then if it continues to click after you change the oil, add a pint of Sea Foam to the oil and just drive it as normal till the next oil change. If it doesn't clear up by then, it might be time for exploratory surgery.

clicking sound

I had a Ford years ago that had engine noise issues. Turned up the radio and viola! problem solved.
Really I put a pint of auto trans fluid in the oil at oil change time. After about 600 miles I imagined the noise was dimishing. By the time I had gone 1000 miles it was not my imagination...the noise WAS gone. The trans fluid had more detergent I have been told. That engine went many, many more miles before being changed out.
Mike

Richard when I got my 63 it had a slight tap on the right side. Turns out it was a bad rocker arm. We changed it out, as well as some other minor work and now it runs quiet and smooth.

Back