1973 Superior Pontiac

Tim Prieur

PCS Member
Looking for a Christmas present, even if it shows up in May. I have taken on completing the restoration of a 73 Superior Pontiac high top for the EMS Foundation of Calgary. The good...the mechanicals are all done and the body looks sound. The bad...initial restoration was started about ten years ago, and you guessed it, much of the stainless taken off at the start of the restoration has fallen by the way side. So far, mouldings around front windshield, sill plates, some of the interior pieces around the rear windows, some parts for the cot bar attached to left rear . Rear headliner also sad. Still need to make up a full list.
If anyone comes across a donor car, a line on it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I am assuming that much of the trim that you have mentioned would be the same as used on any '71-'76 Superior limo style coach. It would not be unique to a Superior Pontiac 54" ambulance. Put together that list. I still have a '74 Superior Cadillac 54" ambulance if you cannot find what you need in your part of the world.

Kurt, many thanks for this! I did not know the Pontiac and Cadillac dimensions and therefore parting were the same, though it makes good sense from a production perspective. My real worry was the front windshield stainless. Over the Christmas break I hope to itemize what is missing.

The lower windshield trim that goes across the cowl, is the same as all the GM passenger cars of the era. I believe that the top molding is also the same as the passenger car. It is only the side pieces that are longer. In a pinch, you could get both a right and a left, and then a spare one, and have a piece welded in to length each side. The good thing about stainless, is that it is almost infinitely repairable in the right hands.

if the glass is the same the surround molding is the same. any donor with commercial glass from 71 to 76 will be the same. :thumbsup:

Many thanks for every ones input. I will take stock over Christmas and let people know the needs. It really deserves to be completed. My mechanic/good friend has kindly agreed to help, on top of his present 80 hr week.
I will post some pics when available.

Update

Work slowly progresses. My goal is to have it completed by National EMS week in May.
Cudos +++ go out to fellow member Jack Ramsey, who supplied me with a great 184 beacon for a very nominal price!!!
While I have submitted a "wish list" to a fellow member one part really needed to make the patient compartment functional are the two vertical metal pieces that attach to the rear wheel housing (and the matching plate on the opposite side if the wall) into which the cot bar slides. Right now any ride with a cot in the back would be pretty wild.
Can post pics if needed.
Any leads much appreciated.

Last edited:
if Bill can't help I should have them here for a ferno but i think you will find that the bar mount went right into the wheel well. with a nut on the back side being a option

cot bar hardware

Bill L has come up with an alternative for me but unfortunately cannot locate an original set. If anyone had a set of the vertical bar (and ideally the support piece on the inside of the interior wall), I would love to try and obtain them.
Work on the car is progressing very well. The parts and time donated by local auto businesses has been ++++, wonderful people. I will post pics when completed.

Attachments

• cot bar hanger (450 x 600).jpg
    cot bar hanger (450 x 600).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 324
I have a set here. most of these that I have taken apart were threaded into the wheel well cover. with no support on the back side or if anything a extra layer tacked to where they go. I never figured out how superior got away with it. but they did. luckily for you I stumbled on a can with a set in them looking for something else.but as I remember this set is a spacer to move the bar out to avoid trim. I have made a backer out of a piece of steel just drill and thread it. the sliders are not in this can but out in the shed.
. where do I sent them?

chrome

Looking for a Christmas present, even if it shows up in May. I have taken on completing the restoration of a 73 Superior Pontiac high top for the EMS Foundation of Calgary. The good...the mechanicals are all done and the body looks sound. The bad...initial restoration was started about ten years ago, and you guessed it, much of the stainless taken off at the start of the restoration has fallen by the way side. So far, mouldings around front windshield, sill plates, some of the interior pieces around the rear windows, some parts for the cot bar attached to left rear . Rear headliner also sad. Still need to make up a full list.
If anyone comes across a donor car, a line on it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, Try Aldon auto salvage in Lamont Alta.- He bought all of the old Smith's Pontiacs and Olds.years ago. It's a thought-Bruce Osborne

Thanks to everyone who wrote, both here and in private messages! Daniel Scully Has a set and is forwarding them on to me.

OK just so you know here is what we have. one set is rounded off on the to the is square. the shorter one is square is about 5 in. the longer ones are both 7 . the hooks are 2 ferno one Washington goes in the 53. the other is the one a remade the hooks to fit the handle on the 28. this one is the caddy one. right now the Oldsmobile one is in the 72. then we have a original set up for the floor on the 28-29-54 style Rollins. when we find our 48 in or low top we will alter the floor in it so it goes in there. the rest is interior stuff. some MM most Cb

anyone in need of some arrow knock off marker lights?

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1422.jpg
    IMG_1422.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_1423.jpg
    IMG_1423.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1424.jpg
    IMG_1424.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 265
Progress!!

Picked up the 73 Superior this morning from the City of Calgary body shop. When taken on by volunteers the road is slow, but well worth it in my eyes and am extremely appreciative to all who have contributed (including PCS members)!!.

Interior work starts later this week.

Hope to have it ready for National Paramedics week in May.

Attachments

• 2016-01-11 022 (600 x 400).jpg
    2016-01-11 022 (600 x 400).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 183
  • P1060538 (600 x 450).jpg
    P1060538 (600 x 450).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 181
  • new paint 5 (600 x 450).jpg
    new paint 5 (600 x 450).jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 182
Years ago, I traded 2 Bonnevilles in over a period of time to Crestline through Ambucraft. I heard that the sold all these coaches to a fellow in or near Vallyfield. Just a another clue in the restoration puzzle.
Bruce

OK just so you know here is what we have. one set is rounded off on the to the is square. the shorter one is square is about 5 in. the longer ones are both 7 . the hooks are 2 ferno one Washington goes in the 53. the other is the one a remade the hooks to fit the handle on the 28. this one is the caddy one. right now the Oldsmobile one is in the 72. then we have a original set up for the floor on the 28-29-54 style Rollins. when we find our 48 in or low top we will alter the floor in it so it goes in there. the rest is interior stuff. some MM most Cb

anyone in need of some arrow knock off marker lights?

Can you send me a picture of the lights? Looks like there is a Dietz 517 in the box also.

Back