WANTED: Mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a set of mirrors similar to the ones pictured. They may be very "truck" looking but these have been removed off my '66 ambo sometime over the years and I need a set, they were on it for a purpose! The original side mirrors are useless to say the least... so please guys check your stash of parts? Need mirrors & brackets, but can fab a set of brackets or mod them if need be. Thanks!

attachment.php

Mirrors

Great Looking ambo there! I'm restoring a 1968 International Travalall Ambo and I had to replace my mirrors very similar to the ones in the photo if not actually the same. Had I hard time finding mine as well, but one day about a month ago I found them in a store called AutoSupermarket they are called West Coast Mirrors and they were only $39.95 a set. I think AutoSupermarket is also on the internet. Hope that helps you out. I also remember all our caddy ambo's had the same mirrors 60's to the 70's Superiors. Have a great day:my2cents:

Truck Mirrors

Check with long-time PCS Canadian Member Evan Butchers. I (gave) him the original (pristine) set off our old 1973 S&S-Cadillac Medic Mark-I Ambulance that Bruce-B has now because I didn't like the "truck mirror look" even though they were much safer than the Standard Cadillac 75 versions. (*) He was going to put them on his beautiful (X-PA FD) Green S&S but I don't think he ever did?

When we first got our S&S back to CA from Canada and it's "1st showing" at the Minneapolis PCS Meet in 1996.... I looked around in local wrecking yards for a set of regular Cadillac Mirrors and couldn't find any that were "perfect enough" to match the car. In desparation.... I went to our local Cadillac Dealer to see if a new set could be purchased. The (young) counter guy kind of laughed at me and said that they had been out of production at that point for years. An older guy in the back overheard our conversation and said for me to hold on for a few minutes while he checked up in the attic for a "stash" of old stock. About ten minutes later he came walking back up to the counter with two old dust covered boxes with "Superior" written on the outside of both. They contained a brand new set of Model 75 mirrors complete with cabling, mounting rubbers, screws etc. Apparently a local private ambulance company (Superior Ambulance Service) had ordered them (from him when he was about 20 years younger) for one of their Cadillac Ambulances and had never picked them up before going out of business.

Related trivia on "Superior Ambulance Service-Escondido, CA". I gave PCS Member Robert Shepherd one of their Superior Monogramed Bell Crash Helmets
they used to wear as a requirement from their insurance company after a major fatality accident they had in the late 60's with one of their beautifully maintained Solid Omaha Orange Cadillac Ambulances got t-boned by a truck going thru a red light, killing the patient and the attendant. At that time San Diego PD Officers also wore the same type of crash helmet.... even in a regular police car! MM

West Coast "Juniors"

Dwayne: As Robert-C indicated in his post.... you should be able to find the same (or nearly the same thing) at any NAPA Store as well. I also have had them referred to as West Coast "Junior" Mirrors. MM

Thanks for the head's up guys i'll check NAPA, Autosupermarket, & ebay. Really hoping for these style brackets since there's alreay 4 screw holes in each door (2 in the sheet metal & 2 in the top chrome window trim) so with the odd angles of the brackets i'm hoping for a set pulled from a Superior... but can always mod whatever comes along...

more on mirrors

Dwayne,
When we were putting similar mirrors on IH Travelalls and pick up trucks we called them JUNIOR west coast mirrors. The WestCoast moniker was left for the bigger mirrors on the semi tractors, dump trucks and other big trucks. If all else fails try an old IH dealer for a set.
I will keep watch for a set down here in IH land.
Good luck,
Mike

:wowguy:

:my2cents:

Last edited:
Mike M.

Enjoyed reading your story on the cool mirror find !

Talk about being in the right place at the right time with the right guy.

Thanks for sharing that.

Darren

Related trivia on "Superior Ambulance Service-Escondido, CA". I gave PCS Member Robert Shepherd one of their Superior Monogramed Bell Crash Helmets
they used to wear as a requirement from their insurance company after a major fatality accident they had in the late 60's with one of their beautifully maintained Solid Omaha Orange Cadillac Ambulances got t-boned by a truck going thru a red light, killing the patient and the attendant. At that time San Diego PD Officers also wore the same type of crash helmet.... even in a regular police car! MM

Rumor has it that it is too small for his head!!! :wowguy:

Thanks again everyone... searched Ebay just now & found 2 full pages of "west coast junior mirrors" for sale. Opted for a brand new set with stainless steel backs. Saw they were offered through Summit Racing (of all places) and jumped over to their site, got a better deal on combined shipping, and having them sent to the house. It'll be nice to see what's on the passenger side while driving!!! :yum:

cip-47500_w.jpg

Thanks again everyone... searched Ebay just now & found 2 full pages of "west coast junior mirrors" for sale. Opted for a brand new set with stainless steel backs. Saw they were offered through Summit Racing (of all places) and jumped over to their site, got a better deal on combined shipping, and having them sent to the house. It'll be nice to see what's on the passenger side while driving!!! :yum:

cip-47500_w.jpg

This is the same mirror on my 70 f100 pickup. WOW Thanks for the info.

This is the same mirror on my 70 f100 pickup. WOW Thanks for the info.
I was thinking the same thing. I might have a couple sets of those. I have owned several F100s and all the ones I've owned that have had those mirrors, I've took them off. They should be laying around the shop somewhere, I know I saw a set the other day while looking for something.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back