Buick hearse with cherubs

Talk about a coach that needs saved. Very nice photography by Sotiris Michalelis.

sake+3.jpg

Blog post with 10 more shots here.

Earlier this year multiples of a vintage b/w shot of this coach when still in service were available on eBay. (Long enough that searching completed auctions no longer pull any up.) Venturing a guess, I'd say Visser, which built on Buick chassis while also utilizing roof windows. Come to think of it, I've only seen Visser ambulances which may be why the above example differs from their norm.

There are several things to ponder; 1 Location of the VentiPorts 2 The spear shaped stainless on the front half and 3 The back seems more modern than the front. I would say the front is 1952-ish and the back 1957-ish. Is there any info on this coach? It really should be saved!

Earlier this year multiples of a vintage b/w shot of this coach when still in service were available on eBay. (Long enough that searching completed auctions no longer pull any up.) Venturing a guess, I'd say Visser, which built on Buick chassis while also utilizing roof windows. Come to think of it, I've only seen Visser ambulances which may be why the above example differs from their norm.

2 corrections: Inadvertently typed Visser while thinking of Smit-Joure. Also located vintage eBay photograph mentioned which is '58 Fleetwood based. If memory serves correctly, this coach was located in South America. (Adam or Jim?) Not much commonality between them after all.

58fleetwoodhearse.jpg

Talk about a coach that needs saved. Very nice photography by Sotiris Michalelis.

sake+3.jpg

Blog post with 10 more shots here.

agree it should be saved, not sure i would want it tho

That has got to be a 46-48 Buick front end. 47-48 were only years that Buick had full fade away fenders with the spear style hood latches. 49 and later Buicks did not have the 48 and earlier v style split windshield, they had a more curved glass windshield like most other gm cars.49 was the first year for the portholes so this probably has a lot of additions from later on.

The coachwork on this 1947-1948 Buick looks as if it were built in Greece but, also could have been South American or Italian. I'm betting that it's a Greek creation. Very interesting indeed.

Back