Sad Pro-Cars

More salvage yard photos taken last week.
Kurt

Interesting; I shot the same three cars - at the same place - over 30 years ago.

The '64 M-M combination is ex-Pyeatte's in Siloam Springs, AR. It was given to the SSFD when the funeral homes there exited the ambulance business in about 1970, and kept as a transfer/trip car until 1977.

I don't know the lineage of the Superior.

The '63 Paramount Ambulandau is ex-Schurman F.H. (dba AA Ambulance) in Baxter Springs, KS. I don't know who the original owner was.

(SL photo, 1973)

Attachments

• AA%2063%20Paramount%20Ambulandau_001.jpg
    AA%2063%20Paramount%20Ambulandau_001.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 884
'63 & '64 Coaches

Steve,
Oddly enough, the '63 Superior had a bunch of her original paperwork and manuals still in the glove compartment! The Clark Funeral Home at 120 Illinois Avenue in St. Joseph, MO bought it new on January 26th, 1963. It was then owned by Mullens Superior Coach Co. in Shawnee, KS on Feb. 1st of 1966 when they had an ARA under-dash A.C. unit installed. No information after that date. The Paramount looks much better in green than white. Even in her current condition.
Kurt

Interesting; I shot the same three cars - at the same place - over 30 years ago.

The '64 M-M combination is ex-Pyeatte's in Siloam Springs, AR. It was given to the SSFD when the funeral homes there exited the ambulance business in about 1970, and kept as a transfer/trip car until 1977.

Correction; this '64 M-M is ex-Wassom F.H. in Siloam Springs. (The car Pyeatte's gave to the SSFD was also a '64, but a Superior.)

(SL photos, 7/26/81)

Attachments

• Salvage 1.jpg
    Salvage 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 794
The '63 Paramount Ambulandau is ex-Schurman F.H. (dba AA Ambulance) in Baxter Springs, KS. I don't know who the original owner was.

All three of these girls were still in pretty good shape when photographed. I'm surprised they're still there after over 30 years!

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Salvage 2.jpg
    Salvage 2.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 789
'63 & '64 Coaches

And you guys could have saved them!! Just kidding. I totally relate as I personally parted out a '58 Eureka 3-way landau and a '56 Superior 3-way landau in the early '80s that should never have been parted out. The '58 Eureka was originally copper in color with a copper crinkle finish roof. Her greatest fault was that she had broken leaf springs! Both cars still haunt me today!!

This '62 Richards Bros./Chrysler ambulance was behind the Wheels'n'Spokes MoPar museum in Hays, KS (no longer there) in 1991. It resurfaced again in western Kansas about 10 years ago, but I haven't seen or heard of it since. This Briarean had the optional full hinged rear door instead of a tailgate.

Here's a '73 Lifeliner - lineage unknown - that was in a Garden City, KS junkyard in 1996.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 62 Richards Bros..jpg
    62 Richards Bros..jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 792
  • 73 MM Kansas.jpg
    73 MM Kansas.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 788
Saw this on another site and just had to share. I guess in it's own right it's pretty cool!

Attachments

• 419253_10150587022132513_54136402512_9262816_861589828_n.jpg
    419253_10150587022132513_54136402512_9262816_861589828_n.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 665
1964 Superior 6x6

Correction; this '64 M-M is ex-Wassom F.H. in Siloam Springs. (The car Pyeatte's gave to the SSFD was also a '64, but a Superior.)

When the fire department acquired these cars from the mortuaries, they quickly painted them white over red (I don't know their original colors). When the time came to sell, the city had them repainted black on the bottom thinking they might bring more money.

Here's how I found the ex-Pyeatte car in 1986...what a shame.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 64 SC 6x6.jpg
    64 SC 6x6.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 675
  • 64 SC 6x6 rear.jpg
    64 SC 6x6 rear.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 667
When the fire department acquired these cars from the mortuaries, they quickly painted them white over red (I don't know their original colors). When the time came to sell, the city had them repainted black on the bottom thinking they might bring more money.

Here's how I found the ex-Pyeatte car in 1986...what a shame.

(SL photos)

Looks like that was transplanted onto a military 6 X 6 chassis. Car appears to be in pretty fair shape, but then again I'm not seeing real well right at the moment.

Looks like that was transplanted onto a military 6 X 6 chassis. Car appears to be in pretty fair shape, but then again I'm not seeing real well right at the moment.

Car does appear to be in great shape and there you go again, a roof rack on a hearse. :pat: Perhaps they thought they could actually "Take it with them".

Another old procar with a luggage rack...

1964 Volunteer - United Methodist Indian Church A.S., Stilwell (volunteer service provided to area Indian community)

This car, seen here as found in northwest Arkansas in 1986, was virtually rust free and complete except for the warning lights and whistle. Even the glass was good, including the etched side glass which is difficult to replicate.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 64 MM front.jpg
    64 MM front.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,174
  • 64 MM rear.jpg
    64 MM rear.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1,190
These photos were taken in the early 1990s:

Individual (Oklahoma City, OK)
1941 Flxible/Cadillac combination

Individual (Oklahoma City, OK)
1946 ?/Chevrolet combination

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 1941 Flxible.jpg
    1941 Flxible.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,013
  • 1946 Chevrolet.jpg
    1946 Chevrolet.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,029
1970 Pontiac/Superior

I found this quite a few years ago in Mill Bay, BC at a tow yard. Entire front clip/engine/tranny/wheels gone. I did manage to salvage many parts for Art Gregory's 54XL that Matt Taylor now ownes.

Attachments

• 1970 ambulance.jpg
    1970 ambulance.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 928
These 1949s - a Eureka and a Meteor - were in a Great Bend, KS salvage yard when I visited in 1991. Miraculously, the glass was good in both of these cars.

The Mercury wagon seen to the left of the Eureka used to be an ambulance. It had nameplate brackets in the passenger doors and holes in the roof where the lights used to be.

Check out the vehicles in the backgrounds. At the time, there was something in this yard for almost everybody!

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 1949 Eureka.jpg
    1949 Eureka.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 863
  • 1949 Meteor.jpg
    1949 Meteor.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 871
Last edited:
1972 Miller Meteor Cadillac

1972 Miller Meteor Cadillac ambulance - ex- Canaan, NH Fast Inc., and previous to that, Beverly, MA Civil Air Patrol. I was told that until Canaan purchased the car, it had never hauled a patient, only run in parades.

As a side note, this car started my love affair with pro cars, it was the first Cadillac ambulance I ever saw in person, approximately 15 years ago, sitting in the same spot, the trees a little smaller, and maybe a little less rusted, but it was love at first sight.

Attachments

• 72mmfrontsmall.jpg
    72mmfrontsmall.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 883
  • 72mmleftsidesmall.jpg
    72mmleftsidesmall.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 821
  • 72mmrearsmall.jpg
    72mmrearsmall.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 808
1972 Miller Meteor Cadillac

Probably the most valuable piece of the above car is the key chain laying on the front seat. The photo didn't reproduce too well - but it has the M-M logo on top and it says "Funeral Coaches - Ambulances, Miller-Meteor Division, Wayne Corporation, Piqua, Ohio 45356". Not sure how common they are, but it's the first one I've seen.

Is the thermostat factory installed, or was that an add-on? It's mounted on the divider above the window.

Attachments

• 72mmkeychainsmall.jpg
    72mmkeychainsmall.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 866
  • 72mmthermosmall.jpg
    72mmthermosmall.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 802
The thermostat on the top of the division wall is to regulate the fan in the rear compartment. Once the rear compartment reaches the preset temperature, it opens the contacts and the fan stops. The hot water valve is controlled in the drivers compartment by the use of a cable operated water valve.

Jacob- that was the last Beverly Police Dept. ambulance before the city went to private contractors - Beverly Civil Defense ( now emergency management I believe inherited it) under their ownership it would not have been used much- large gathering standby's etc. When the P.D. got it new it was the first line ambulance for a city of 35-40K people and saw plenty of abuse- Kevin

Back