headliner on IH's

Does anyone know what sort of headliners Springfield used on their hightop ambulances in the 60's? There is no liner on the fiberglass cap on mine, and doesn't seem to be any glue marks or scraps left under mouldings so I'm wondering if they didn't include them on the more 'utility" vehicles?

The headliner in my Travelall ambulances (I've had three over the years) are basically a thin piece of material similar to Masonite. It is somewhat flexible so it can arch over the top. It's held in place with metal ribs, more-or-less a huge, press fit set up. I'll take pictures and post them.

it would be a cardboard one like they used in the cab of the truck?? the ribs would have spanned the roof and the headliner would have screwed to it everything would have floated on the edge the shape keeping it in place.

headliners

Let me start by saying I have never owned a Travelall ambulance. So my experience is based on my job assignments in the IH plant. The headliner material was made by the Woodall Corp. They had a small plant just down the road from us. The material was a perforated white fiber board. We fastened the roof bows on either side above the windows with screws. There was a long tab of metal that the edge of the liner material would set into. It ran the length of the interior front to rear. First the fiber glass batting was glued to the roof. Yellow mats held with red glue. Then the top bows, fastened at either side. Then the liner material. The round rib of the bow was exposed between the liner pieces from side to side. To cover the ribs and the seam edges of the liner we would roll a length of plastic chrome over the serrated top bow rib. At the ends of the plastic chrome strips were small square metal caps with a flat tab on only one side. This tab fit into the same metal channel that the edge of the liner fit into. Some of the utility or cargo units only got a liner above the drivers/front seat. I seem to remember too that the top bows were color coded as to their placement front to rear.
This ends IH headliner 101.
Mike

Mike, that's it (much better description than mine). The hightop ambulances have the same setup, though the panels are longer. I presume that Springfield got their materials from the same suppliers.

re: headliner material

When I get back from Nashville I will check on the Woodall Corp. I know the buildings are still there. Don't know who or what they supply to today's market. They probably did make the ambulance liners too.
See you all on the road somewhere this summer.
Mike

Chevy and ford trucks used a similar material for a number of years. thanks I never knew what it was call we always referred it to as cardboard in the body shop. I do know if you broke it it was impossible to do anything with it.

headliner fastener patent

There are a number of patents on line that reference Woodall and IHC for headliners... this one shows how the mechanism works for fastening the panels up. Can't seem to find them online as still functioning as a business though...

Mike, thanks for the info and the original source of the perforated board. Some Chrysler product trucks and vans used the same material. Stude's, too, I think. Some Chrysler products, like the '60 Town and Country on which my Briarean is based used the same panels, running side-to-side, held in place by the plastic strips. I've looked high and low for a source. Some people glue similar-patterned white vinyl over hardboard. I was about to do that. Or drill a gazillion little holes. Then I learned that Kramer Auto (kramerauto.com), supplier of unique, quality MoPar restoration parts, sells it for a few 62-65 applications, listed in their catalog. I have to get back to them about asking if their supplier can make custom-sizes for me. (They emailed me that they were heading to a show when I asked, and I have yet to get back to them.) But if there's a direct source that would be good news.

headliners for IHs

Today I remembered to go by the plant that used to make the headliner material for IH. In an earlier post I have the name wrong. It is the Woodrow Corp NOT Woodall. Sorry about that. It has been 35 years since we built Travelalls.
The company is still here in Springfield. They are listed as a company that provides name plates, decorative trim and panels.
John K Woodrow, President
Woodrow Corp
4300 River Rd
Springfield, Ohio 45502-7517
937-399-9333
I think this is where the IH Travelall headliner panels were made.
Woodrow Corp
105 Thompson Ave
Springfield, Ohio 45504-2939
937-322-7671
This is just a follow up on the previous postings. I would suggest contacting Woodrow direct as they would be able to answer questions if you have them.
Better to get what you want to know directly from them I think.
Mike

Back