Coachbuilder Tag Restoration

Is there anyone here or a place somewhere out there that restores Coachbuilder tags? Or does everyone just leave them in bad shape? Mine is rough and I hate to let it keep getting worse, id rather take it off and preserve it if theres no better option.

get-attachment.jpg

There is no restoring them, but if a good one can be found, then it is possible to have the blanks reproduced. I don't think that there is going to be a big market for the reproductions.

We use a local good trophy-plaque engraving shop here in CA to reproduce accurate and authentic data-serial number plates for antique trucks, heavy equipment and fire apparatus. The 1st one of course has set-up charges, but is still worth it versus not having one at all.... and we usually make (12) for the same price, stamping in the specific S/N or other data on the others as needed for us or other club members. MM

Thanks Patrick, I think the link you posted would definately be able to do the job based on their product samples.

Your very welcome. I know I spent a fair amount of time trying to find someone to restore my data tag. The place I used came highly recommended from the AACA, and I can definitely recommend them too.

I didn't take a "before" photo of my tag, but here is the "after":

Attachments

• !CD(MN8Q!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!iYE0FpC1yR(BNOSMBmPIg~~_3.jpg
    !CD(MN8Q!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!iYE0FpC1yR(BNOSMBmPIg~~_3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 240
If someone does presue this I'd be interested in acquiring/purchasing 3 M-M tags. They were the same style from 1971-1979 I know.

that would be the door tag if I'm not mistaken. as the under hood one is brushed stainless and stamped. the tag is in good enough condition to clean up and do a repaint on it. stripper will clean it and a light buff will shine it right up. taping off the boxes is a pain though.

surprisingly if you drop it in the rust dissolver it will remove the build up shine the bare spots and then a light rub and clear coat will make it vary excitable.
here is one I did off a 66 superior for Jim. in the close up shot you can see were we did a little brush up on the black before we cleared it. but clear back on the fire wall it looked good.

somedays are like this lets see if I remember to hit up load this time

Attachments

• IMG_2801 1966  superior tag.jpg
    IMG_2801 1966 superior tag.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2860 but this cleaned up well a.jpg
    IMG_2860 but this cleaned up well a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 120
surprisingly if you drop it in the rust dissolver it will remove the build up shine the bare spots and then a light rub and clear coat will make it vary excitable.
here is one I did off a 66 superior for Jim. in the close up shot you can see were we did a little brush up on the black before we cleared it. but clear back on the fire wall it looked good.

What kind of rust dissolver have you used? Your tag clean up looks great.

the last I got was from these people http://www.rustremoverproducts.com/

I did find it works good as a carburetor cleaner to. just don't slip your rusty tag with the reflector background on it in. it will lift it off the plate. it took me two days in it to free up the rusty piano hinge that miller welded to the trap door on the medic cabinet on the 69. but like everything else works here not there

I use to work at a engine rebuilder who had tags made up and were hand stamped with a serial number, date, etc. then glued onto the block.

There are companies out there that custom make tags in many different materials for machines, electric motors, etc. Aluminum is real easy to stamp and will not rust. You can get brass, aluminum, stainless.

It would be the same for the Federal Lights Paul mentioned in another thread.

Any little tag can be reproduced easily.

They screen the graphics on the tags with whatever you want.

Odd shapes, if not a standard one they have, will cost extra to have the die made. There are 1000's of standard shapes from hearts to basic squares.

You just need 0-9 numbers and A-Z letters and a hammer to stamp the info in.

Darren

Last edited:
Back