Lightest/heaviest coaches here?

After my '95 Monticello went on a significant diet, shedding somewhere between 700-1000 pounds (involved story, please don't ask), I'd longed to know its actual weight. That opportunity recently presented itself. Rolling across scales - even compensating for a full tank of gas - still at 5300 pounds. 200 more than what I genuinely felt it would be. My Superiors are definitely all heavier, but short of weighing each I can't state with certainty how much heavier.

So, who else here has either empty curb weight printed in factory literature or scale weight for their coach? Let's keep this to full size (no station wagon conversions) - and no 'guesses'. Curious to learn factual differences between eras and models. Some of these decked out rigs are cruising 7000+... Who takes the heaviest? And who is lighter than 5300? :confused2:

My money is on Dwayne's Pinner being lighter for one. ;)

According to our Secretary of State, the 6300lbs listed on the title for our '72 Miller Meteor Combination is supposed to be the actual weight of the car, not a weight class. I have not physically weighed the car to verify this.

Our former 1973 S&S-Cadillac Medic Mark-I that Bruce-B has now "Tipped the Toledos" as Canadian Evan Butchers used to say at 8001 lbs (fully equipped) with oxy tanks, medical supplies, full of gas, etc., for a (CA) DMV Commercial Plate Weigh-In in the mid 90's that seemed at least 500 lbs too heavy compared to other high top ambulances that have been posted on the past, but that's what a local truck scale certified too. MM

'73 Lifeliner

As part of the vehicle registration process here, I had to have the weight of the vehicle for the papers. The weight of my 1973 Cadillac Lifeliner with 1/2 tank of gas and no medical equipment on board is 6908 lbs. (3140 kg).

Front axle is 3322 lbs (1510 kg)

Rear axle is 3586 lbs (1630 kg)

So with a full tank of gas and the equipment it would probably top out at around 7300 pounds.

This is discrimination in its purest form!!!!!!!:yankchain:

yes it is but then thats life one has to learn to live with it.:yankchain:

OK we ran the 72 CB high top across the scales with equipment in it and the dog and I it ran 5300. remember lighter and faster!!

Jim's 66 superior combo was 6300, Brendon's 63 superior high top the same, the fiberglass is lighter then steel.

As part of the vehicle registration process here, I had to have the weight of the vehicle for the papers. The weight of my 1973 Cadillac Lifeliner with 1/2 tank of gas and no medical equipment on board is 6908 lbs. (3140 kg).

Front axle is 3322 lbs (1510 kg)

Rear axle is 3586 lbs (1630 kg)

So with a full tank of gas and the equipment it would probably top out at around 7300 pounds.

I don't feel quite as bad now.... was starting to "get a complex" being the heaviest Cadillac around! MM

According to the registration plate that was inside the door jam of my 1973 Superior Cadillac, the vehicle curb weight was 6,200 and the gross vehicle weight rating was 8,500. 6,200 empty and a max load of 2,300.

72 Superior Hightop

Had the 72 weighed a month ago....with ALL equipment,full tank of gas,3 coats of wax and 1 PCS decal she came in at 6892#(no "H"tank)......:thumb:

1949 S&S Cadillac combo with full tank of gas: SCALE weight 5400. It seems low, but Ive checked it at 3 different scales with outcome within 20 LBS.
1985 Superior Cadillac FWD: GVWR-5070
1991 Miller-Meteor Lincoln: GVWR-6400
1995 Superior Chevy: GVWR-5600
I could not find the GVWR or my scale stamp for the 85 Eureka Pontiac, I will need to weigh it again..

Not to hijack Attis thread but what is the difference, if any, between the GVWR weight and a scale weight?

This is a great thread, its nice to see what the cars vary. Wait until we get some 3 ways weighed, I know they are very heavy.

John,

The scale weight is what the car itself weighs.
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is what the car is designed to be able to haul total.

My 73 had a scale weight of 6,200.
The maximum the car is designed to carry (load and vehicle), the GVWR was 8,500.

Just weighed the 60 S&S the other day, thought that might be helpful to know, with the buyer shipping it cross country. 5940 with 1 gallon of gas and my 140 pound butt in it. So I am guessing with the stock steel gas tank full, without me, curb weight would be about 6000.

Strangely, here in SC, the title is not trustworthy, they keep changing between curb weight, gvw, and some goofy weight class that labeled a 68 S&S as "999". Only way to know for sure is make a 15 minute ride to my friends junkyard and drive up on the scale. The state checks his scale calibration quarterly

Strangely, here in SC, the title is not trustworthy, they keep changing between curb weight, gvw, and some goofy weight class that labeled a 68 S&S as "999". Only way to know for sure is make a 15 minute ride to my friends junkyard and drive up on the scale. The state checks his scale calibration quarterly

Ben, never trust the title for weight on a pro car. The weight on the title is usually the weight of the base car they used, not the conversion. Not one of my titles are close to being correct.
All the GVWR I listed came from the coachbuilder tag.

GVWR is"Gross Vehicle Weight Rating". That means the maximum loaded vehicle weight rating. Not only full of fluids, but in the case of an ambulance, it would include all patients, passengers, driver, and all equipment and supplies.

What the vehicle weighs on the scale is something totally different. The curb weight is also different, that is tare weight (empty weight).

Back