1959 Cadillac trim

1959 Cadillacs have a pointed strip of trim coming forward from the taillights on the sides of the fins. Why do some have them chrome and some have that piece painted to match the body? Is it related to the series/model? And if so, what is correct for a commercial chassis, or was that up to customer/coachbuilder discretion?

1959-Cadillac.jpg

59Cadillac-2.jpg

Nicholas Yassan will probably know the definitive answer.

In the meantime, I'll add seeing the majority of these chrome moldings on Fleetwoods, never on an original Eldorado (which would really break up Eldo stainless lines).

Also imagine it was a Cadillac option which by default means coach builders would likewise have offered same option for the most flamboyant customers.

The Fleetwoods, the Eldorado and most commercial cars had chrome "Cones" The deville had painted cones. So, yes, it did depend on what Cadillac you had.

Along with the chrome "cone"...fleetwoods also have differnt chorome on the brake lights. The chrome is a "Y" pattern on the fleetwood brake lights.

As a general rule, chrome is correct on Fleetwood 60 Special and Commercial Chassis cars only, all other models were painted body color. For whatever reason, Superior seems to be the only coach-builder that did it both ways.

The chrome ones notoriously rust out.. Perhaps yours were replaced or repaired and painted at some point? It's possible yours was ordered new with painted blisters.. There are always exceptions to every rule!

Blister Bead Moldings...

The blister bead moldings that shipped with the commercial chassis package from Clark St. were chromed. As someone else said, they were rusting before they left the plant so many were later replaced. A correct restoration of a hearse or ambulance built using the commercial chassis would include chromed blister bead moldings.

Along with the chrome "cone"...fleetwoods also have differnt chorome on the brake lights. The chrome is a "Y" pattern on the fleetwood brake lights.

From what I understand, all 1959 Cadillacs with the Q-code triple carbs (whether standard or special ordered) also received the chrome "V" tail light trim. Of course these have been added to many cars over the years as an easy way to dress up the car, much like adding chrome tail light "pods" or an Eldorado rear grille.

The tail light "pods" which are now referred to by a few names were originally called "Nacelles". Nacelle means "A streamlined enclosure (as for an engine) on an aircraft".

387514_144016812370372_100002861630996_175003_781804163_n.jpg

Thanks everyone for your input. What made me bring up the question is actually Danny's 59. It's sister car pictured below, which happens to be the wallpaper on my work computer also, has this piece in chrome, while Danny's is painted black. Being they're both M-M coaches, I thought it was odd to see variations.

Interestingly though, I think the painted trim on Danny's looks better than if it were chromed. I think the chrome is a little flashy for a formal landau M-M funeral coach (although perfect for a Superior Royale).

Attachments

• Small 1959 M-M.jpg
    Small 1959 M-M.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 246
Back