We know you love procars....what are your other hobbies?

Cary Livingston

Southeastern Chapter President
I have enjoyed the procar hobby for about 25 years now. While I currently have no plans of owning one I do collect literature (a few legal file drawers full), photos (over 10,000 digital and 35 MM) and related items.
Collecting diecast is another terrible addiction and at this point over 3000 pieces occupy my collection. As a kid I was always fascinated with cars and trains. In the mid 80's I started some N Scale trains which led to railfanning.
Living in Florida at the time I was lucky enough to shoot some great pictures of railroad stuff that simply is gone. Waycross Georgia watching 30+ trains a day rolling through....watching Norfolk and Western steam engine #611 blasting through south Georgia and also in Harriman Tennessee.
I have a small collection of antique wall and mantle clocks dating from 1866 to the early 1920's. I love working on computers and technocrap. My current "fun" vehicles are a 1971 Dodge D100 and a 1979 F150 4x4. I will share some pictures of my other "crap" over the weekend.

What do you collect and enjoy other than procars?
Post picture if you can.....we luvs pix :weneedpics_smi:

there is something other than procars?!

Shelley and I have collected World's Fair items, 'regular' old/antique cars, auto memorabilia of all kinds, odd and unusual musical instruments and mountain dulcimers. When we get the house next door set up as her music studio, part of it will be for my 'museum' of old car stuff.
Shelley teaches mountain dulcimer. She also writes music books for the mountain dulcimer. While I can pick out a few tunes I have come to the conclusion I am a better dulcimer builder than player. Living with a dulcimer ledgend will do that to you.
Mike
61 MM

Studebakers and trains.

Cary, I was fortunate to ride excursion trains behind N&W 611 when it ran out of Alexandria, VA on the Southern Ry. when I was a teenager (as well as other SR locos and borrowed power). Even worked as the train EMT a couple times! Talk about combining business and pleasure!

Attachments

• NW611 82.jpg
    NW611 82.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 343
I collect smiley faces, mainly from the 70's. I also collect vintage/retro/old video games and consoles (Atari, Colecovision, Nintendo, etc.).

I collect diecast car's mainly 1-18 scale believe it or not i do have over 100 on display on a 7 level shelve in a room with another 50 or so in storage i bought @ clearance sale's. also got 3 totes full of hotwheel's and matchbox 1.64 scale car's and my book collection on everything from procar's , cars in general to aircraft. also have a large depression glass collection, a small license plate collection, and several ww2 era firearms & 1 sword, small vintage camera collection. but in all i always have had a an interest in procar's . all years all types' all style's .

Last edited:
My wife, Laura and I enjoy doing training and dog-sport with our three German Shepherd dogs,.... Zack, Chevy, and their son, Kodiak (Kodi).

As the picture shows, Chevy enjoys sleeping. :)

The Gang.JPG

Other Hobbies

Well, not counting Pro-Car or Funeral things, I collect antique car parts, model cars, and other od and end antique things. such as, a Marvy barber pole, some old milk bottles, and remember the old color wheels for the old aluminum christmas trees? got one of those too. I enjoy collecting things that other people my age don't know anything about or have no idea what it is. One day these things will be forgottin if people like us don't collect them now. I am also a member of the Divco Club. And while I love antique cars, I also like drag racing, hot rods and street rods and other custom cars. I have ben in the custom mini truck hobby for about 8 or 9 years now. Heres a pic of my 86 Ford Ranger.

Josh

Attachments

• l_57e002359326232750459d19c059fc65.jpg
    l_57e002359326232750459d19c059fc65.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 355
I forgot a few. I like taking pictures of nature, old buildings, and car stuff. I enjoy going to weird places, like Centralia, PA etc.

In the colder months, I help the husband with his chocolate production:

I also hang out a lot with this guy:

I collect smiley faces, mainly from the 70's. I also collect vintage/retro/old video games and consoles (Atari, Colecovision, Nintendo, etc.).

I collect dust.

By the way Josh, the smiley face was created by Harvey Ball who lived right down the street here in Worcester.

After Steve posted the pic of N&W 611....I had to rummage around and find my train pics. Here's N&W 1218 running through S Georgia in 1985 or 1986. The joy of railfanning back then, it was a dual purpose hobby, you could chase down old procars in those small towns on the way back and forth.

1zeus15.jpg

On the same trip to see 1218 I found this north of Lake City Florida sitting in someones front yard. I left my number and never got a call. Mind you this was 25 years ago....

a2ae75.jpg

not much...........

I like to play golf. I like to smoke cigars with Nick B. and Jeremy L. I like to piss Steinberg off with emails. That's about it, I'm boring.

RR stuff

Steve,
I saw a picture of the same locomotive at a small flea market today. The other one showed what was tagged as ol' 6121 coming around the horseshoe bend. It was to me an older looking locomotive than the streamlined one. Should I go back and get these pictures for a few bucks? I have no clue what they may be worth.
Just thought it odd that just after you mentioned the one here that I see a pic for sale.
Mike
61 MM

Since I spent my early working years working for an airline, my other hobby revolves around commercial aviation. I had, at one time, a fairly large collection of airline timetables, but gave them away to an aviation museum. Most of my current collection involves 1/400, 1/200 and 1/144 scale model aircraft. I am wanting to build an 1/400 scale airport which would be fitted to the underside of a glass top coffee table, but haven't started building yet. Otherwise, it is just work, work and more work.

I collect other types of cars, anything from 1:160 to 1:1 scale. I have somewhere around 1500 diecast cars and built/unbuilt model kits, and boxes of auto lit going back fifty years. About 3/4 or so of my cars are boxed up.

I keep the 1:1 scale stuff and artwork in the garage, and my favorite little stuff is in the curio cabinet upstairs. I also finished out one room in my basement as my car room (complete with stacks of 1950s-1970s AFD magazines) and an unfinished closet as storage. I also store boxes at my parent's house. I have a problem, I think!

other stuff, sorta

I have a small collection of fire apparatus photos, some Wabash railroad items, and yes, I've also ridden behind N&W #611 when it came through Decatur, Illinois, in the 1980s. But I'm a softie for items about the B-29, the B-36, and the Lockheed Constellation aircraft!

Steve,
I saw a picture of the same locomotive at a small flea market today. The other one showed what was tagged as ol' 6121 coming around the horseshoe bend. It was to me an older looking locomotive than the streamlined one. Should I go back and get these pictures for a few bucks? I have no clue what they may be worth.
Just thought it odd that just after you mentioned the one here that I see a pic for sale.
Mike
61 MM
Up to you. If you like them, get them and enjoy them! I'd think they'd be worth a couple bucks, I don't think photos are too valuable.

N&W 611 was a very popular steam loco in the early '80's, and it ran lots of trips back then. The streamlined styling made it very photogenic, so it does stand to reason that it's not to hard to find photos of it.

Sorry to hijack the thread to be all about 611.

Back