Siren help

John Royark JR

PCS Member
Is the chrome housing around a siren motor needed, or is it just cosmetic? The reason Im asking is my 49 S&S combo has a Federal C6 siren behind the grille, and the chrome housing is missing all the screws but one and it rattles and drives me nuts. The screw that is left is stripped and cant get it out to see the size or even know where to get ones that small. I want to take the housing off but want to make sure water getting in it will not damage it. I know the Federal 28s do not have a housing and they are ok without it.

If you take off the chrome cover, make sure to cover the openings around the brushes. The sirens that were made for concealed mounting had what appeared to be an over sized hose-clamp to keep dirt out of that part of the siren.

If you take off the chrome cover, make sure to cover the openings around the brushes. The sirens that were made for concealed mounting had what appeared to be an over sized hose-clamp to keep dirt out of that part of the siren.

Thanks. I was wondering about covering the openings, but thought they were for ventilation and was afraid of overheating it if I covered them.

What you will need to cover the brush holes is a "Generator Brush Cover Band". You might try some generator rebuilders in your area to see if they have any. eBay is also a good place to look. You will need to know the diameter of the motor, and calculate the length of the band needed.

Attachments

• band1.jpg
    band1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 235
  • band2.jpg
    band2.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 210
C6

Do you still have the light, (Propello Ray or Solar Ray) on the front? Without it, this siren becomes a C5. Do you have the brake cover for it? Without the rear housing you will need both the brake cover and brush cover.
John Dorgan

Do you still have the light, (Propello Ray or Solar Ray) on the front? Without it, this siren becomes a C5. Do you have the brake cover for it? Without the rear housing you will need both the brake cover and brush cover.
John Dorgan

No light anymore and no brake or cover. Did not know this was supposed to have a brake.

Did not know this was supposed to have a brake.
Brakes were optional on the coasters.
68-71rear.jpg

Brakes were optional on the coasters.
68-71rear.jpg

Thanks. I never realized the same siren with different options is desinated with different models. I do know mine is a c6, it says so, and it originaly had the light. So when I finish stripping it it will actually be a C-4.

I should've included the Class 70's, and also said that the suffix of the model listed on the emblem reveals if the siren has a brake - "A"=no brake; "B"=brake
4.jpg

so we are to have a brake on this 63. know the wire is there and the switch is on the main box but don't think it was hooked up. we'll look it over well as we go back together with it.

Back