Alternator.....

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Anyone know how to make one good one out of two????

Attachments

• MVC-010L.jpg
    MVC-010L.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 225
  • MVC-011L.jpg
    MVC-011L.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 231
After a few tried, I finally got it back together. The factory service manual is of no help, since it only shows an earlier version of this alternator that never made it into production. The service manuals are one of the earliest things that are produced, and many times they are lacking when the engineers make upgrades and changes. Should have taken some pictures of it before I dismantled it, but it was only after I had the two of them apart, that I realized that not all the parts were the same. This left me with the additional task of figuring out what would match up to what to get a working unit. Now I hope that it works. I will be off tomorrow morning to the local auto parts store to put it on their machine to see if it will work. If it doesn't then I don't know what else to do. These alternators were discontinued in 1972 I was told, and now, there isn't any reference to them in any of the service parts books. Time to start looking at eBay for replacement parts.

Attachments

• MVC-012L.JPG
    MVC-012L.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 211
you get trapped do like the A bone guys do. hollow it out and slip a small high amp one off a foreign make car in the case. use the stock pulley and outside wiring and it looks real. whats the butter for??

Butter is the "GREEN" grease !

Not using petroleum products help with the environment.

It is also something most people put on their shopping lists so they don't forget to pick up more when they are out of it.

It also helps the people who should be making more money...
THE FARMERS !!! ...not the oil companies !

Only the last line is important. The rest is BS !

Darren

Butter is for toast in the morning. I hate hard butter! I hate margarine even more!! I moved inside to the kitchen to finish this project, since the mosquitoes were biting more that I could swat them away. Sandy is very good about tolerating my "work bench" habits, as long as I put a protective cloth between the work and the counter top.

I was wondering if you have discovered a lube for tight fitting parts.

did it work, funny how something simple in principle can be made so may different ways by the same manufacturer

I had it tested this morning, and there is no output. Back to the bench to see what is wrong. I am out of luck if I can't get this one working, since there are no parts available, and I have already removed the hacked up wiring that connected the old one. Will keep trying... :pat:

Can't make one out of two, since they both have the same dead parts. It looks like the Chevy isn't going to make it to Hudson, and I don't want to drive the Chrysler that distance with a leaking rear pinion seal. Not certain what we will arrive in, but it will be something modern I'm guessing. I do have one long shot at finding a part that might work, but I am not optimistic at this point.

There are a few places around here that can repair alternators if they could get the parts. That is the problem. The parts for this unit are no longer available from the commercial parts suppliers. That means that you either find NOS parts or a old unit that has good parts to use. With the meet a week away, that just isn't in the cards.

Paul

Don't give up !!!

Keep looking and make it happen.

We want you in Hudson with one of your pride and joy rides !

You are happiest when you have one of your cars with you to show everyone.

Plus with the Pinner Bros. doing a presentation, it would be great to have the three known Pinners present at the meet !

Looking forward to seeing you in Hudson Paul !
Mostly Sandy, but you too !

Take it easy,
Darren

alternator repair parts

if you have already checked your local shops the for the alternator parts,and nothing shows up on the net,we have a very old family run buisness in niagara falls that may be able to help you.Ray's auto electric 716-297-3303. ray and his son,dennis repaired a lot of ambulance alternators for me over the years.they are very knowledgeable and may have the parts you need on the shelf.

There was a small shop owned by an old timer, who had everything under the sun. When he died, who knows what happened to all the stuff.

Thanks to everyone that has called, emailed, and PM'd offering help to getting the car to Ohio. Unfortunately, time is not on my side at this point, however, a friend that has a 20K mile all original 1963 Super Sport convertible has offered to remove the parts from his car and loan them to me so I can make the meet with the Chevy. I will deal with the rest of the alternator issues when I get back from Ohio. Once again... thanks to all that have offered help, and even encouragement. This is what the PCS is all about.

Back