speedometer

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
in case you were wondering just what was under that pretty face. we had to change the one in the 53 as the head was frozen and the needle was broken even knocked off the shaft. so here is one apart. the u shaped piece is the magnet that is connected to the cable. it drives the drum that is connected to the needle. the odometer is driven off a set of gears starting behind the magnet.

I have no Ida what the mileage is on this car as it was broken when I got it but it now has 97 grand on it. I found another unit that was in bad condition rusty and sun faded and made one out of the two.

tested it out with the drill on high speed the drill does 60

Attachments

• IMG_5781.jpg
    IMG_5781.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5780.jpg
    IMG_5780.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 108
Once you get it. Torn down this far fairly easy to do that. The origional one had 9 thousand on it. That might have been correct as the cylinders that didn't have burnt exhaust valves were running in the 110 range and it carries 40 psi oil presser warm at idle. But who can say;)

Sounds like a good motor my Dads 41 Pontiac Eight that he gave me when I was 16 with 33k had of just under 40 at idle and went up above 40 at road speed. And yes did a valve job at 49k. Old timer told me at the time this was because heat riser was stuck and messed up exhaust valves. I remember having a h**l of a time freeing it up.

this one was bad carbon from putting around it had 4 burnt so we had a old mechanic replace all 8 of them and grind the intakes. we still need to set then got at lest one that ticks. . fenders off is the time to do that. as they have to be set warm we need to get it started up again to do it.

When I worked at the Packard agency in 1958 we had the old folks straight eight Packards come in all carboned up. The cure was take it out behind the shop with a quart of water remove the air cleaner when the car warmed up rev it up to around 2k to 2.5k and pour the water down the carb (but not fast enough to stall it) you should have seen the s**t come out the tail pipe. For extreme cases we could call the carbon blast man. He came with a weird machine he hooked it to our air supply screwed a hose from it in the spark plug hole and turned it on. With much hissing and dust he would then "reverse" the machine and vacume the cylinder out and the carbon would be gone. What did he use?? Get ready crushed walnut shells!! When I did the valve job on the 41 I set the valves cold an old timer told me to set them wider and it would be fine problem is I can't remember how much wider. But do remember when I started it not a click.

Back