1968 Superior Cadillac Rescue Ambulance

Hello good people. I'm new to this Forum. I have to say up front that I am not really interested in these type vehicles. I am interested in all vintage vehicles as a whole. I part them out and try to salvage parts that may be used to keeping other vehicles from a similar fate.
I have recently dug this car out of the woods. It is quite ruff but there may be parts on it that can be used.
So my question is: is there any parts here that should be saved before I take it to the scrap yard?
I would appreciate any input you may have.

Thank You, Vincent
Vdonato@nycap.rr.com

Attachments

• IMG_8706.jpg
    IMG_8706.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_8707.jpg
    IMG_8707.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_8708.jpg
    IMG_8708.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_8709.jpg
    IMG_8709.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_8710.jpg
    IMG_8710.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 603
Personally I see a lot of items that could be saved. Glass, chrome, ETC are hard to find items. The issue is removing them and storing until such time someone may need them.

Tires is that and N78x15 studded snow tire in the back? To eco Richard glass trim ant thing from the cowl back and inside around the floor. The rubberised floor covering behind the seat the rear bumper and any lights . All 5 wheels if they are the 3 rivet ones they are commerical chassis only. the gurney and all attaching hard ware. The jump seats and the floor souround trim all things you can't get today.

Now the hard part. Selling the stuff. There is a limited market for these parts. most are one year one modal one manufacture only stuff. Others will cover a number of cars by the same manufacture, but not the other builders in the same years. So storage is a must and advertising to keep your name out there if you are selling.

I think would say take a number of pictures. So people can see what you have. Give a good way to contact you and a reasonable amount of time to sell before letting it go . Now me I want the tires .

Tons of stuff that should be saved and sold. The spot lights, roof "star lights", chrome crosses, glass, window trim inside & out, regulators, big alternator, jump seats, vertical stretcher supports, roof/retractable stretcher supports, rear A.C. components, Rear door panels and all other aluminum trim, CABINET!!, etc., etc., The rear cabinets are extremely hard to find! There are probably 6 project ambulances out there for every original cabinet that there is to be had. The stretcher and original cushion are worth a couple hundred. The rims, if original and not rotted out, are worth $50 each. Check to see if original spare/rim is behind the front seat. Rear bumper, if not rotted through in the center sections.

Last edited:
Vincent, there is tons on that ambulance, as others have said. Pending its condition - I might even be interested in that stretcher myself! And, if Ed doesn't want those tires...

The problem for most of the trim, glass, etc. is not the rarity, but the demand! You're selling to a very small population. More importantly, unless someone out there has a Superior of that approximate vintage they are working on RIGHT NOW - the parts specific to that coach-builder and age will be hard to easily sell. Folks don't buy stuff that specific until they need it. It is a quandary - I wish PCS had a "parts bank" or similar where we could put together stuff pending a project but there isn't such a thing.

Ambulances of this vintage are and will be getting harder and harder to find. Thank you for pulling this one out of where it was rotting. Please do be patient and not let all those parts be lost.

Rear bumper center section but you're a long way off knowing shipping would be murderous. :eek: Mine is still a mess. I did get both sections from Jeremy but used one for a Criterion I had.

Attachments

• l11.jpg
    l11.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 556
Rear bumper center section but you're a long way off knowing shipping would be murderous. :eek: Mine is still a mess. I did get both sections from Jeremy but used one for a Criterion I had.

Richard,
Have you checked back with Ed on the '71 or '72 M-M that is in the yard up by Rapid City? Shipping would not be that big of a deal if you are only shipping the 2 bars with nothing attached.

I have never seen a bumper rust out in the center where yours rusted through!

It sure is nice that Vincent is taking the time to offer this car up for parts to those of us on this site. Think long and hard, if you need anything, don't let these unique and hard to find Superior parts and pieces get away. BTW, Vincent accepts Paypal, so that makes paying easy.

If your close to New brunswick, Canada, I would be interested in whole car. I would love to try to bring this car back. It probably could never be back to original but I would like to make something out of it respectable at least.

John, the snow tires are 8.90-15. 2 pair. 1 pair studded the other not. Do they have any value?

Richard, My rear bumper does not look like that.

Bill, I sent you some photos.

Thank you all,
Vincent

Attachments

• IMG_8738.jpg
    IMG_8738.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_8739.jpg
    IMG_8739.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 218
If the are banded togather in pairs they will! Ship UPS. But value is up to the seller raidales in the yard here are around 25-50. The big 17-20s a little more. So what is the value of a 50 year old tire. me I would offer 25 bucks each. Your Ida may be different but by the time I pay to get them here that's a lot to. Have it in original tires at a local show. . There is one molding I need off the car but it is at least a hr task to get it off. I'll pm you.

That must have been fun just getting it drug onto your trailer! I have fought that battle. They never pull straight with flat tires. I see that your leaf springs broke loose on the driver's side too.

Interior looks to be very save-able...... but I am sure that you are right on the body, floors, frame, etc. There are guys restoring rigs of that vintage(with good bodies and butchered interiors) that would kill for the interior in this one!

Kurt, it took me more than 2 1/2 hrs. to get it on the trailer. And you're right, it did not come on straight. The rear end and the rear frame section is no longer even attached to the rest of the car. If you look closely you can see that the rear bumper is about 10" back from the body.
I started dismantling it today.

Vincent,
A friend of mine & I paid $1500 for a '74 Superior 54" ambulance parts car............ basically just to get the original cabinet in the rear.

That cabinet is probably worth as much as $500 to someone that desperately needs one. The cabinet is usually the first thing tossed by every hillbilly who thinks he is going to turn an ambulance into a "limo". They usually loose interest in the "project" and look to sell it shortly after having burned the cabinet! As I mentioned earlier....... there is probably 1 cabinet in existence for every 5 deserving restoration projects out there.

I got a few items from this 68. Even if I cannot use anything myself, I hated to see these somewhat hard-to-find bits and pieces go to the crusher. I am a sentimental preservationist, I guess you could say.

I got a few items from this 68. Even if I cannot use anything myself, I hated to see these somewhat hard-to-find bits and pieces go to the crusher. I am a sentimental preservationist, I guess you could say.

I have, and continue to do that with complete cars! Everything inside of that rig should be saved!

I am glad Vincent found PCS. I bought this on ebay (263095331271) a week or two ago for $260.00 to save it from the crusher. My rollback driver said I don't get paid to do forestry work I drive a truck you have to come along and do the work with me. Sadly I am having heath issues at the moment and could not do it. The seller Brian said he had someone who would take it and cancelled the sale. Vincent must have been that guy. A tip of my hat for not going strait to the crusher with it as so many would have done. From what Brian told my driver Vincent is understating the effort required to get the rig on his trailer.

Save as much as you can.

I agree with everyone that says to save as much as you can. The only suggestion I might add is to label everything. Here is a thread where we stripped a 1974 Superior. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12005. The car appeared saveable but the owner had other ideas. We have sold many of the parts but still have some. We boxed up the small stuff so it doesn't get mixed in with the other pro car parts we have around. Labeling with year, manufacturer, location(which side) a part came from can help down the road when you go looking for a part.

Back