1970 Chevrolet Suburban Ambulance

David Henry

PCS Member
Posted on eBay for 11,950.00. I assume it’s a stoner, cot is on passenger side.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-Chevrolet-Suburban/392075511230?hash=item5b498585be:g:lQUAAOSwWV9bOSxc

1970 Chevrolet Suburban Ambulance
in my opinion it has very minimal rust, it has surface rust spots, I started to clean them off and stopped.
it runs good, the 350 engine and Th-350 work as they should, the tires are in decent condition.

I have only washed it, a good detail and it would clean up nice.
I wouldn't be afraid to drive it anywhere, from what I can tell the previous owner drove it close to 10,000 miles, using it as his transportation.
This is a good running and driving 1970 Chevrolet Suburban Ambulance, it has minimal rust in my opinion
it has had a fair amount of mechanical work done to it in the last 1 1/2 years with invoices from the local repair shops
Transmission service (tigard transmission) $140.00
tune up and service, clean fuel system, minor tune and full service & lube 10-03-2016 bonds automotive $611.32
dimmer switch and electrical work B&G motors $130.00
2 batteries $90.00
O/H carburetor and parts (tune-up & carburetor shop) $403.82

There is a bill of sale from the Naselle fire department to the Grays river fire dept dated November 10 1983

The side trim is rough and it will need some TLC to bring it to the next level, the spot lights all work.

Attachments

• E5D198F8-2BAC-4297-9854-7319C4AF4000.jpg
    E5D198F8-2BAC-4297-9854-7319C4AF4000.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 459
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 431
Yep, It's a Stoner

The interior seems in lot better shape than the paint.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 425
I think that it can be made into a very presentable car, however, I also believe that the price is way too much for what it presently is. If the present owner were to spend some money having the exterior detailed, and getting the engine compartment looking better, he might have a chance at getting closer to his asking price. I also wonder what type of batteries that you can get 2 for $90? Not being an air conditioned car is also a negative for many people.

One very glaring problem that I see in the picture below, is if you look at where the engine oil dipstick is located, you will see the open end of a metal brake line. When I followed that line back to its origins I see that it goes to the front of the master cylinder. To me, this indicates that it must be sealed off at the adapter that is screwed into the front port of the master cylinder, and that the rear brakes of the vehicle are non functional. When I see something like this, I wonder what also might have been done to "fix" a problem that isn't being disclosed in the description.

Another issue that I can see in the pictures is that the water pump pulley is a dual groove pulley, and one belt is missing. This would lead me to believe that the power steering pump might not be hooked up, for whatever reason. I know that the power steering pump isn't being driven by the one belt on the engine, since it is clear that the belt is running in front of the power steering pump.

Because of all these reasons, I don't see this car as being worth much more than $4500 - $5000. If you can do all the repairs yourself, then it might be worth a little more to you, however, if you are going to be paying a shop to do all these repairs, it can easily cost you into the thousands to do these repairs. There has to be a reason that the present owner has chosen to sell rather than to put the car into good working condition.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 421
The alternator has been changed the original one was a duel pulley,the round can one with the holy case. No power brake but gauges. 3/4 ton chassis. Buckets with the big center counsal. The plus is trim is all there, the interior is all there, Lights are are original and the rear bumper is intact. Price would be between your, your wallet and your wants. Something strange with the heater also. Don't recall that big box on a none ac truck. Could be a heavy duty set up.

Last edited:
From memory the heater box looks ok to me. If the build label is still on the glove box door that would tell which heater option it has. C49 IIRC is the RPO for heater/defroster w/o A/C.

Yet another Stoner from Washington state surfaces, Pop Stoner must have sold a bunch up there. This one is from the coast so I guess they never felt the need for A/C. My two ex-WA Stoners have dual A/C but they were both from the hotter central part of the state. I asked the seller to post a photo of the glove box SPID label, hope he comes through with it. Yeah, much in the engine compartment is a real mess but the rest of the truck is in better shape than either of mine. At this age, they all need their help in one way or another!

Yet another Stoner from Washington state surfaces, Pop Stoner must have sold a bunch up there. This one is from the coast so I guess they never felt the need for A/C. My two ex-WA Stoners have dual A/C but they were both from the hotter central part of the state. I asked the seller to post a photo of the glove box SPID label, hope he comes through with it. Yeah, much in the engine compartment is a real mess but the rest of the truck is in better shape than either of mine. At this age, they all need their help in one way or another!

I'll agree that the underhood is a mess but I've seen and worked on much worse. How about a fire truck that had lamp cord for wiring to the rear emergency lights?

the biggest thing in restoring one is putting the engine compartment back to stock to get rid of all those improvements that:rolleyes: have been made.

standard striped out Burb. as they were not extending the body any they would order them with the trim for the final assemble plant in Calf. you could do that in those years. ordered all the heavy duty stuff they could, as it's a 3/4 ton it all ready had most of it. just the heave shocks. the only piece of trim Stoner kept was the crash pad on the dash. they must have ordered that brown by the economy roll. but you can see now what was added later but other owners. like the radio.

Yes, a bit stripped this one is, especially for a 3/4 ton. My GMC 3/4 ton was ordered with the big block 402 (L47) and manual throttle (K31) plus rear air shocks (G66), heavy-duty front springs (F60), front sway bar (F59) and the posi-traction rear axle (G87). My other GMC 3/4 ton parts rig got most of the same and both have Stoner's wide rear step bumper too.

I wish I had known you had a extra bumper I could have used one on the one Ron has. the way they built them rechroming a rusty one is all most impossible.

I wish I had known you had a extra bumper I could have used one on the one Ron has. the way they built them rechroming a rusty one is all most impossible.
Just bought it last October. I call it my parts Stoner but haven't taken anything off it yet. It may very well be the one to get restored, either by me or maybe someone else down the road. I'm kind of in a quandary on which way to go on the two of them.

still at best a 5000 dollar rig. the problem is they look at the price of a suburban and see what they bring. it confuses what they have, with what they don't.

Seller lowered price to $8,600 and the listing now shows ended. Not sure if it sold or he just pulled the plug. Anyone here buy it?

There must have been a $8600 bid, that didn't meet the reserve. If he lowered the reserve to that amount, then eBay will lower it by one penny, and then send a notification to the bidder that the seller has lowered the reserve or "Buy It Now" price. That bidder then has the right to confirm the original bid, and the price will go up by that penny, and the item will sell. If the bidder does nothing, then the auction will either end, or another bidder has a chance to jump in and win. In this case, neither happened, and the car didn't sell.

There must have been a $8600 bid, that didn't meet the reserve. If he lowered the reserve to that amount, then eBay will lower it by one penny, and then send a notification to the bidder that the seller has lowered the reserve or "Buy It Now" price. That bidder then has the right to confirm the original bid, and the price will go up by that penny, and the item will sell. If the bidder does nothing, then the auction will either end, or another bidder has a chance to jump in and win. In this case, neither happened, and the car didn't sell.
No bids Paul, it was a fixed price listing. I checked the seller's history for sold items and it doesn't appear there, only in his completed items so he apparently just ended his listing with no takers at $8,600 (the listing wasn't set up to take offers). Still, he may have sold it locally or offline.

Back