'70 Superior Ford Econoline

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
So, I stopped by an old yard today that I have been to probably a dozen times over the last 15 years. The yard has been scrapping most everything out, due to the death of the owner. Today this Ford Econoline van caught my eye.... only because of the fixed spot light that I noticed mounted half way down the driver's side on the roof. It hit me that the light had to be a "ditch light". I walked over to check it out and discovered that it was, in fact, a Superior Coach-built rig. This van was loaded up and mostly intact inside. Squad bench, rear A.C., med. cabinet running along the driver's side in the rear, and another seat facing the rear behind the partition right behind the driver. I pulled some goodies out of it(last photo).

Attachments

• Econo 2.jpg
    Econo 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Econo 3.jpg
    Econo 3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 215
  • Econo 5.jpg
    Econo 5.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Econo 6.jpg
    Econo 6.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Econo 4.jpg
    Econo 4.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Econo 1.jpg
    Econo 1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
For a guy like Ed, that would be a good project and a cool piece of history to save, especially if it is solid underneath.

I took no photos of the interior. It was piled full of junk. It was all I could do just to salvage what I did. Besides, I didn't think there would be THAT much interest in it. I will probably stop back fairly soon to pull a couple more things off of it including the Superior tags.

I am going to miss this yard. I purchased the 3 things in the photo, a pair of optional '58 Edsel spinner wheel covers, 1 of the chrome bulb retainer rings that Superior used on their tunnel lights & ditch lights, and a handful of other small things and my total bill was $15!

I am sure that this rig would have had the Superior bullet lights mounted on top originally. I had 10 of those, until 6 months ago.

Last edited:
Back