1977 S&S - What did I buy??

So my car collector friend calls me about a 1970s hearse for sale in his neighborhood, about 100 miles from me. That's all he knows and he asks if I want it, so I tell him I'll try to come up and see it first. He calls me the next day and says "hey I bought you that car, come and get it!"

Not knowing anything about what to expect I drive up and find this:

9863320824_94554ede2b_c.jpg

I've figured out she is a 1977 S&S model 77450 but that's it. It's embarassing how little I know about her, so I was hoping y'all could fill me in a bit?

Last edited:
Can you say RAT? Unfortunately, in my opinion anyway, these hearses don't seem to be worth very much. The cost of restoration would far exceed it's true value and you can probably find a nice one for a few grand. I wish I could say something positive, after all, it is still an antique car, but I just can't think of anything.

get that tint off the back glass a set of bars and decent wheels on it maybe add a pin stripe and you got your self a hearse. if you paid 500 for it, it's a good deal. you can drive it home and only got a grand in it, it's a OK deal.
but now then if you paid 5000 for it lets take a walk out in the parking lot and have one of those heart to heart talks about those good buddy deals we have gotten into.

Not bad not bad, other than the wheels. The 77-79 cars may hardly be worth anything but I for one am partial to that generation. Just something about them, not quite sure what it is.

I do agree with Ed a little on this one!

It is a fine looking coach, but... For most of us looking for original coaches, it needs a little work. Loose the dark tint on the back windows and give it a proper landau (Ed mentioned both) and you are set.

It also hinges quite a bit on what you are looking to purchase/drive!

Do you want an all original hearse or are you looking for a hearse with (maybe) slight customs?

Personally, (just my opinion) either option would look good... Just depends on how you go about it.

Something else that has been brought up... A couple of people have mentioned that hearses of those years aren't worth much...

I have NEVER purchased a coach on how much it is worth (in the general public)! What is it worth to YOU? In my opinion, if you are buying a coach for what "it is worth", you are buying a coach for the wrong reason! Decide on a year that you like and decide on a coach manufacturer(s) that you like and go from there. What you want and what it is worth are two totally different subjects to consider!

I also see that you say that your friend "bought it for you".
That is definitely a situation that I have NEVER been in!
Hope you enjoy your new coach!

:)

Last edited:
This reminds me of the "modern" service car conversion our own Bill Wright performed on a similar coach something like ten years ago. I personally thought Bill's modern service car was a well done vehicle, and with the landau bars missing and the vinyl top already gone, the exterior modifications for a service car conversion appear to have already been done for you.

Well I do appreciate all the opinions and advice! She won't be part of my permanent fleet, and as per advice I will try to keep my budget restrained. Still, I would like her to leave in better shape that I got her in - I have some '75 steelies/hubcaps I can put on her and I love the idea of adding landaus.

And to clarify, I'll be paying my friend back whenever I sell it. Not free, but no $$$ out of pocket is pretty good!

The car actually runs quite well. She did the 100 mile journey no problem, though she could use a bit of tuning. Smooth cruising at speed, rides well, brakes are sharp, overall very sound. The interior however...

9868794293_9b92bcfa6b_c.jpg

Body by S&S, and interior by Home Depot!
9868688604_ba1de75e0a_c.jpg

The house carpet and radio in a plywood block are troubling, not to mention the steering wheel and skull....
I'm guessing it would have had a flat table in back originally? Also, did any of these have curtains? Thanks again

I have owned a few of these "downsized" professional cars and I have really enjoyed them. They ride and drive very well and they are attractive when they are done. What I dislike about this particular coach is that you will spend money rounding up original parts for it, such as; steering wheel, correct wheels and hub caps, landau bars, but then it still has that "worn out" look about it. I hope that you understand, I mean no disrespect, but that is the way I see this car.

Charles is correct, when he says that you shouldn't buy a car like this based on what it is worth, but the question remains, do you intend to keep it? Do you want to make an original looking, or custom looking driver, or show car? How much are you willing to spend? Once you answer those questions, you will have a very good idea of whether you should fix it up, or sell it. To me, this car looks like it could get expensive.

I agree with with Bill, It sounds like its a good base car but just don't go too nuts trying to bring her back !

I think eveyone goes through this when they get a new car.........OH no I won't spend alot of money on "this" ....next thing you know .....oh I need this...oh I need that ...it all adds up very fast. set a budget and stick to it there should be lots of parts cars out there to get what you need to make it look decent... I liked Patrick M Idea...make it a Service Car !!

Have fun

:my2cents:

looks like you got it just before it was not worth it. but the good news is there are still a number of then in yards to put the dash back together. the fact that it runs is the big thing to me. mr. Snider did hit the nail on the head as for buying a old car. now to remove all the add ons and see what is left. have your friend contact the sell and see what he still has of it, may be one option. if he just keep the steering wheel it would be a big plus.

This reminds me of the "modern" service car conversion our own Bill Wright performed on a similar coach something like ten years ago. I personally thought Bill's modern service car was a well done vehicle, and with the landau bars missing and the vinyl top already gone, the exterior modifications for a service car conversion appear to have already been done for you.

When looking at your pictures, I was thinking the same thing as Patrick, he just beat me to it. Bills service car creation (I thought) was very nice. Here are a couple pix of what he did. This is a Victoria, the only model S&S offered in this year.
Also, don't go by other peoples comments of its not worth much, as a lot of people here thing anything newer than a certain year (76 for example) are junk and undesirable. Personally, I like the newer ones just as much, and in sometimes even more, it all depends on what you grew up with, besides if we don't save the newer ones now, there will not be classics later. After all a 50s car was new once and Im sure in the 60s people said they were not worth much, now look at how much they are worth. If you like it, that's the only thing that matters.

Attachments

• 1977 S&S service car 1.jpg
    1977 S&S service car 1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 348
  • 1977 S&S service car 3.jpg
    1977 S&S service car 3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 349
I couldn't agree more with what a couple others have said concerning the car's value, or potential value. Determining value is an imprecise and highly personal opinion. Even with something as rare as my Bayliff Packard, when someone asks how much I paid for it, which I don't mind answering, I've had different people both think that I stole the car for that price, and others who couldn't believe I paid that much. Its all a matter of opinion really. The only person who has to determine what the car is worth to them is you, the owner.

Likewise, don't let some comments about it "only" being a 1977 get you down. I bought my 1980 Superior in 1999 and started taking it to car shows right away. And yes, I did get what I think is more than my fair share of comments about "what is that doing here, that's just a used car?" Heck, I still get those comments despite the fact the car is now 33 years old! My most common response was that I was preserving tomorrow's antique. Think about it, if no one held on to their just-a-used-car Packard or Hudson in the 1960s, there'd be none of them around today.

When looking at your pictures, I was thinking the same thing as Patrick, he just beat me to it. Bills service car creation (I thought) was very nice. Here are a couple pix of what he did. This is a Victoria, the only model S&S offered in this year.
Also, don't go by other peoples comments of its not worth much, as a lot of people here thing anything newer than a certain year (76 for example) are junk and undesirable. Personally, I like the newer ones just as much, and in sometimes even more, it all depends on what you grew up with, besides if we don't save the newer ones now, there will not be classics later. After all a 50s car was new once and Im sure in the 60s people said they were not worth much, now look at how much they are worth. If you like it, that's the only thing that matters.

Wow that is nice, seeing that I may have finally decided to just go with the hubcaps instead of aftermarket wheels

That white service car is gorgeous! I would love to fix mine up to that shape, or just use it as a parts hauler. As enjoyable as it is to drive however, I'm realizing that she needs more time and money (center console, window motors, paint job, upholstery) than I could get out of her.

I did read, and thank you, for the advice and feedback even though I'm slow to reply. As much as I respect the coach,I just can't get "into" it like my other projects.

My '60 S&S is howling for money and my neighbors howling for my head, so she's up for sale. And unfortunately in the last couple weeks, nobody will touch her for $900! I'd hate to scrap her, so she might be a keeper whether I want her or not...:eek:

Thanks again for the advice, guys

I bought the car from Bill at the Daytona meet. Not the meet last year but one before it. Very neat car. Sold it to a guy in Louisiana or Mississippi somewhere like that. Worst car on gas I have ever had. Got about 5 mpg driving back from FL. that year.

Another photo of Bill Wright's car.

The first time I saw it was in Kingston in 2000.

Attachments

• Kingston 2000 004.jpg
    Kingston 2000 004.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 133
Back