Henney 12-passenger station wagon

I just scored a box of Popular Science magazines ranging from 1943 to 1970 or so, and they're awesome. Here's something I found that I know this group will enjoy.

It's in the March 1954 issue.

HenneyMotorCoPackardWagoninMarch1954PopularScience.jpg

I think I read somewhere recently this was a one-off car and was eventually vandalized and destroyed? Ring a bell to anyone? I could be thinking of something altogether different though.... I spend waaaay too much time online reading :)

You know, maybe I should have titled this thread Popular Science. This is from the January 1962 issue showing early innovation for the ambulance corps in Suffolk County, NY.

AmbulancebackwardsPopularScienceJan1962.jpg

I think I read somewhere recently this was a one-off car and was eventually vandalized and destroyed? Ring a bell to anyone? I could be thinking of something altogether different though.... I spend waaaay too much time online reading :)

I believe you are right. It was mentioned in Gregg Mersamers book; Professional Cars, near the end of the Packard chapter.

in Gregg Mersamers book; Professional Cars, near the end of the Packard chapter.

Yes, there it is. You know, I believe the Popular Science image was an artist's rendering from the photo that Mr. Mersamer's book shows. It's the same angles and view down to the man in the driver's seat looking back. Very cool.

You know, maybe I should have titled this thread Popular Science. This is from the January 1962 issue showing early innovation for the ambulance corps in Suffolk County, NY.

AmbulancebackwardsPopularScienceJan1962.jpg
Well, there you go. What we take for granted as commonplace today - the mirrored "ECNALUBMA" - was once someone's novel idea. Here's where it started. Thanks for posting that!

Back